Lars Noschinski
Aug 17, 2007
Carlos Santander
Aug 17, 2007
Lars Ivar Igesund
Aug 17, 2007
Lars Noschinski
August 16, 2007
Under linux, I have gotten past compilation issues with -fversion=Posix, but I fail to link.  Any ideas on what could be going wrong?

$ gdc -fversion=Posix -w -g *.d -o housebot-0.6.gdc -I /import/ -ltango
/home/jhouse/tmp/cceVjUiy.o: In function `_Dmain':
/home/jhouse/Documents/go/housebot-0.6/housebot.d:259: undefined reference to `_D3std2gc7disableFZv'
/bin/../lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/../../../libtango.a(tango.util.time.StopWatch.o): In function `_D5tango4util4time9StopWatch9StopWatch4stopMFZf':
tango/util/time/StopWatch.d:(.gnu.linkonce.t_D5tango4util4time9StopWatch9StopWatch4stopMFZf+0x17): undefined reference to `__U64_LDBL'
/bin/../lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/../../../libtango.a(tango.util.time.StopWatch.o): In function `_D5tango4util4time9StopWatch9StopWatch5timerFZm':
tango/util/time/StopWatch.d:(.gnu.linkonce.t_D5tango4util4time9StopWatch9StopWatch5timerFZm+0x4f): undefined reference to `_d_throw@4'
/bin/../lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/../../../libtango.a(tango.math.Math.o): In function `_D5tango4math4Math4asinFcZc':
tango/math/Math.d:(.gnu.linkonce.t_D5tango4math4Math4asinFcZc+0x26): undefined reference to `_Cmul'
etc...
August 16, 2007
Jason House escribió:
> Under linux, I have gotten past compilation issues with -fversion=Posix, but I fail to link.  Any ideas on what could be going wrong?
> 
> $ gdc -fversion=Posix -w -g *.d -o housebot-0.6.gdc -I /import/ -ltango
> /home/jhouse/tmp/cceVjUiy.o: In function `_Dmain':
> /home/jhouse/Documents/go/housebot-0.6/housebot.d:259: undefined reference to `_D3std2gc7disableFZv'
> /bin/../lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/../../../libtango.a(tango.util.time.StopWatch.o): In function `_D5tango4util4time9StopWatch9StopWatch4stopMFZf':
> tango/util/time/StopWatch.d:(.gnu.linkonce.t_D5tango4util4time9StopWatch9StopWatch4stopMFZf+0x17): undefined reference to `__U64_LDBL'
> /bin/../lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/../../../libtango.a(tango.util.time.StopWatch.o): In function `_D5tango4util4time9StopWatch9StopWatch5timerFZm':
> tango/util/time/StopWatch.d:(.gnu.linkonce.t_D5tango4util4time9StopWatch9StopWatch5timerFZm+0x4f): undefined reference to `_d_throw@4'
> /bin/../lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/../../../libtango.a(tango.math.Math.o): In function `_D5tango4math4Math4asinFcZc':
> tango/math/Math.d:(.gnu.linkonce.t_D5tango4math4Math4asinFcZc+0x26): undefined reference to `_Cmul'
> etc...

I've had more luck getting Tango programs to compile with either Bud (as in the examples) or Rebuild.

-- 
Carlos Santander Bernal
August 16, 2007
Carlos Santander Wrote:
> I've had more luck getting Tango programs to compile with either Bud (as in the examples) or Rebuild.

My colleague on a mac gets the following with dsss (AKA rebuild).  Is this a generic issue or a mac issue?

$ dsss build
housebot.d => housebot-0.6
+ /Users/u/Programmieren/D/bin/rebuild -Idsss_imports/ -I. -S./ -I/
Users/u/Programmieren/D/include/d -S/Users/u/Programmieren/D/lib/   -
oqdsss_objs -Dddoc/ddoc -unittest -w -g housebot.d -ofhousebot-0.6
warning - /Users/u/Programmieren/D/tango/tango/math/IEEE.d:566:
Error: implicit conversion of expression (cast(int)((cast(short*)(&
x))[4u]) & 32767) of type int to short can cause loss of data
Command /Users/u/Programmieren/D/bin/rebuild returned with code 256,
aborting.

August 17, 2007
* Carlos Santander <csantander619@gmail.com> [07-08-16 07:00]:
>Jason House escribió:
>>Under linux, I have gotten past compilation issues with -fversion=Posix, but I fail to link.  Any ideas on what could be going wrong?
>>$ gdc -fversion=Posix -w -g *.d -o housebot-0.6.gdc -I /import/ -ltango
>>/home/jhouse/tmp/cceVjUiy.o: In function `_Dmain':
>>/home/jhouse/Documents/go/housebot-0.6/housebot.d:259: undefined reference to `_D3std2gc7disableFZv'
>>/bin/../lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/../../../libtango.a(tango.util.time.StopWatch.o): In function `_D5tango4util4time9StopWatch9StopWatch4stopMFZf':
>>tango/util/time/StopWatch.d:(.gnu.linkonce.t_D5tango4util4time9StopWatch9StopWatch4stopMFZf+0x17): undefined reference to `__U64_LDBL'
>>/bin/../lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/../../../libtango.a(tango.util.time.StopWatch.o): In function `_D5tango4util4time9StopWatch9StopWatch5timerFZm':
>>tango/util/time/StopWatch.d:(.gnu.linkonce.t_D5tango4util4time9StopWatch9StopWatch5timerFZm+0x4f): undefined reference to `_d_throw@4'
>>/bin/../lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/../../../libtango.a(tango.math.Math.o): In function `_D5tango4math4Math4asinFcZc':
>>tango/math/Math.d:(.gnu.linkonce.t_D5tango4math4Math4asinFcZc+0x26): undefined reference to `_Cmul'
>>etc...
>
>I've had more luck getting Tango programs to compile with either Bud (as in the examples) or Rebuild.

Bud does not build with Tango, so I tried rebuild. It works, but builds
a lot of object files, probably one for each Tango class used. This is
somehow annoying and I wonder, if there should not a precompiled binary?

I installed Tango/GDC via the tango+gdc installer from the tango
website in /usr/local.
August 17, 2007
Lars Noschinski escribió:
> * Carlos Santander <csantander619@gmail.com> [07-08-16 07:00]:
>>
>> I've had more luck getting Tango programs to compile with either Bud (as in the examples) or Rebuild.
> 
> Bud does not build with Tango, so I tried rebuild. It works, but builds
> a lot of object files, probably one for each Tango class used. This is
> somehow annoying and I wonder, if there should not a precompiled binary?
> 
> I installed Tango/GDC via the tango+gdc installer from the tango
> website in /usr/local.

Regarding Bud, first you would have to build it using GPhobos, and then switch to Tango.

Both Bud and Rebuild will create all those object files; that's how they work. You could put the files in a global directory and use that directory as your library. Something like, /home/lars/tango/obj, and configure all your projects to use that path as obj output. I'm not doing that because I just thought of that idea, but I think it could work.

Someone once gave me this sh script to build a Tango library. I don't use it, but you could find it useful.

#!/bin/sh
rm obj/*.o libltango.a -v
export count=0; find tango -name "*.d" |while read a; do count=`expr $count + 1`; gdc -ltango -c -o obj/$count.o -O2 -finline-functions -frelease -fversion=Posix $a 2>/dev/null && echo -n "$count-$a ° "; done
ar q libltango.a obj/*.o

I guess you wouldn't need Bud or Rebuild if you use the resulting library.

-- 
Carlos Santander Bernal
August 17, 2007
* Lars Noschinski <lars-2006-1@usenet.noschinski.de> [07-08-17 19:28]:
>Bud does not build with Tango, so I tried rebuild. It works, but builds
>a lot of object files, probably one for each Tango class used. This is
>somehow annoying and I wonder, if there should not a precompiled binary?
>
>I installed Tango/GDC via the tango+gdc installer from the tango
>website in /usr/local.

Hm, the order of arguments to matters:

% gdc -I /usr/local/include -fversion=Posix dzen-status.d -lgtango

works, but

% gdc -I /usr/local/include -fversion=Posix -lgtango dzen-status.d

fails with undefined references:

/tmp/ccWAFn0z.o: In function `_Dmain':
    dzen-status.d:(.text+0x54): undefined reference to `_D5tango3sys7Process7Process7__ClassZ'
    dzen-status.d:(.text+0x6f): undefined reference to `_D5tango3sys7Process7Process5_ctorMFAAaXC5tango3sys7Process7Process'
    dzen-status.d:(.text+0xdd): undefined reference to `_D5tango2io6Stdout6StdoutC5tango2io5Print12__T5PrintTaZ5Print'
    dzen-status.d:(.text+0x103): undefined reference to `_D5tango2io5Print12__T5PrintTaZ5Print8formatlnMFAaYC5tango2io5Print12__T5PrintTaZ5Print'
    /tmp/ccWAFn0z.o:(.data+0x34): undefined reference to `_D5tango2io6Stdout12__ModuleInfoZ'
    /tmp/ccWAFn0z.o:(.data+0x38): undefined reference to `_D5tango3sys7Process12__ModuleInfoZ'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

This is actually documented in the gcc documentation, but did not occur
to me yesterday, so I failed to link against libgtango:

It makes a difference where in the command you write this option;
    the linker searches and processes libraries and object files in the
    order they are specified.  Thus, `foo.o -lz bar.o' searches library
    `z' after file `foo.o' but before `bar.o'.  If `bar.o' refers to
    functions in `z', those functions may not be loaded.

August 17, 2007
Carlos Santander wrote:

> Lars Noschinski escribió:
>> * Carlos Santander <csantander619@gmail.com> [07-08-16 07:00]:
>>>
>>> I've had more luck getting Tango programs to compile with either Bud
>>> (as in the examples) or Rebuild.
>> 
>> Bud does not build with Tango, so I tried rebuild. It works, but builds a lot of object files, probably one for each Tango class used. This is somehow annoying and I wonder, if there should not a precompiled binary?
>> 
>> I installed Tango/GDC via the tango+gdc installer from the tango website in /usr/local.
> 
> Regarding Bud, first you would have to build it using GPhobos, and then switch to Tango.
> 
> Both Bud and Rebuild will create all those object files; that's how they work. You could put the files in a global directory and use that directory as your library. Something like, /home/lars/tango/obj, and configure all your projects to use that path as obj output. I'm not doing that because I just thought of that idea, but I think it could work.
> 
> Someone once gave me this sh script to build a Tango library. I don't use it, but you could find it useful.

You will now find build-tango.sh in lib/ that should work for you :)

-- 
Lars Ivar Igesund
blog at http://larsivi.net
DSource, #d.tango & #D: larsivi
Dancing the Tango