December 03, 2008
== Quote from Leandro Lucarella (llucax@gmail.com)'s article
> Walter Bright, el  2 de diciembre a las 04:13 me escribiste:
> > I asked this over on stackoverflow.com to see what people using other languages have to say, as well as the D community. The reason I ask is to see if memory allocation can be allowed in functions marked "nothrow".
> >
> > http://stackoverflow.com/questions/333736/is-out-of-memory-a-recoverable-error
> I think all the things said in this thread makes sense (adding callbacks
> to the garbage collector, adding a way to ask for memory that don't throw
> if the memory can't be allocated), but I think this don't cover all the
> possible scenarios.
> For example, I'm working on a softswitch (unfortunately no in D). Lets say
> we have a really bad moment and all the subscribers want to talk at the
> same time and we don't support that workload. Lets say our memory is
> exhausted and a new call arrive. A new allocation is done somewhere deep
> inside the call logic, so the PRE COLLECT callback is called. No memory
> can be reclaimed, so the GC runs a collection. Still no memory. POST
> COLLECT and CRISIS are called too without success. My softswitch is down,
> I lost all the current calls. This is not good for business. What I really
> wanted to do is to catch the memory error as shallow in the call logic as
> possible and drop only that current call, leaving all the current
> established calls intact.

The same could be said of any unexpected error in such an application.  Assuming
that you're doing call processing in a multithreaded app as opposed to dedicating
a process per call (as in Erlang) then you'll have to use try/catch blocks carefully
to perform the necessary cleanup at each stage, re-throwing exceptions you don't
intend to handle.

> So what can I do? Should I manually check each and every allocation in all the call logic? I think that's unacceptable.

Agreed.  The point of exceptions is to avoid the need to verify the result of every operation and to avoid duplication of recovery code.

Sean
December 03, 2008
Robert Jacques wrote:
> 2) One can still catch an error if need be.

Not if the function is nothrow, since the function  never sets up an exception handling frame (that's the point of this topic, AFAICT).
December 03, 2008
On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 14:47:14 -0500, Robert Fraser <fraserofthenight@gmail.com> wrote:
> Robert Jacques wrote:
>> 2) One can still catch an error if need be.

Yeah, I'm not sure what I was thinking here.

> Not if the function is nothrow, since the function  never sets up an exception handling frame (that's the point of this topic, AFAICT).

Okay, while we've been talking about OutOfMemoryError there's also RangeError, AssertError, FinalizeError and SwitchError and not allowing array indexing, contract programming or switches inside a nothrow function drastically reduces their usefulness (more so than allocation, in my opinion). So at least in debug mode, the handling frame (I think) exists in order to support RangeError and AssertError errors. However, SwitchError and HiddenFuncError occur in release code, so I'm not sure if nothrow functions will not have some error handling method. (I think FinalizeError is related to allocation and therefore OutOfMemoryError)

PS. I would class removing the exception handling frame as an optimization which is separate from the nothrow language contract feature.
December 04, 2008
Robert Fraser wrote:
> Robert Jacques wrote:
> 
> Not if the function is nothrow, since the function  never sets up an exception handling frame (that's the point of this topic, AFAICT).

Make a non-recoverable version as standard, and a recoverable version that throws an Exception/return null as a last-resort if you really want to handle the mess (free other memories).
December 04, 2008
On 2008-12-02 07:13:12 -0500, Walter Bright <newshound1@digitalmars.com> said:

> I asked this over on stackoverflow.com to see what people using other languages have to say, as well as the D community. The reason I ask is to see if memory allocation can be allowed in functions marked "nothrow".
> 
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/333736/is-out-of-memory-a-recoverable-error

I think you got the question wrong. My answer would be: it depends.

I think you could make this simple reasonable rule: anything that would throw an exception in a nothrow function yeilds a fatal error. When you want to catch out of memory errors (or any other error for that matter), just avoid nothrow.

How does that sound?

It sounds to me like nothrow functions are going to be dangerous in big applications since it could make some distant part of an app crash the whole thing. At least, you should be allowed to handle those exceptions (out of memory, range error, etc) in an error handler function before it kills the current thread. But even with that it'll be hard to guarenty proper cleanup; that's why I'm saying it makes nothrow dangerous.

Note however that you can't guarenty proper cleanup either in case of division by zero or invalid pointer dereferencing, so by allowing dynamic allocation you're not extending the problem very much. It'd be great if those could throw exceptions when not in a nothrow function.

-- 
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin@michelf.com
http://michelf.com/

December 04, 2008
On 2008-12-04 07:34:18 -0500, Michel Fortin <michel.fortin@michelf.com> said:

> I think you got the question wrong. My answer would be: it depends.

I forgot to rephase explicitly the question. What I'm answering in the parent post is:

"When should an out of memory exception be a fatal error?"

And the answer I give in the parent post would be:

"When you're in a nothrow function!"

-- 
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin@michelf.com
http://michelf.com/

December 04, 2008
Tue, 02 Dec 2008 14:57:49 +0100, Don wrote:

> Walter Bright wrote:
>> I asked this over on stackoverflow.com to see what people using other languages have to say, as well as the D community. The reason I ask is to see if memory allocation can be allowed in functions marked "nothrow".
>> 
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/333736/is-out-of-memory-a-recoverable-error
>> 
> I don't think it can be recoverable. Or rather, if it is recoverable, it shouldn't have happened in the first place.
> 
> As far as I can tell, the only thing you could do to recover from an out-of-memory condition is (1) to free some memory, or (2) to switch to an algorithm which doesn't need as much memory.

or (3) to fail a self-contained, user initiated, "pure" operation.  Like image loading process, or an expensive image editing operation, or a complex calculation.  You'll find this sort of recovery in any interactive data processing application.
December 04, 2008
Robert Jacques, el  3 de diciembre a las 09:39 me escribiste:
> That's a good point/use case. However,
> 1) Many client-sever applications seperate each client into a logical thread of
> some kind. And inside this thread, out of memory is not recoverable.

Unfortunatelly not all designs are multithread. In my for example, we work with a single thread event loop.

> 2) One can still catch an error if need be.

I don't know what do you mean by that. If you mean you could use
a try/catch block, that's no true if allocation can't throw (to be able
to allocate in nothrow functions).

If you mean you can use an allocation function that don't throw but report the failure in other way (like returning a null pointer), yes, as I said one, could always use that function, but is a PITA (specially for string manipulation, hashes and dynamic arrays).

-- 
Leandro Lucarella (luca) | Blog colectivo: http://www.mazziblog.com.ar/blog/
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
GPG Key: 5F5A8D05 (F8CD F9A7 BF00 5431 4145  104C 949E BFB6 5F5A 8D05)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
La terapia no sirve: es mucho mejor pagar para hacer las perversiones
que para contarlas.
	-- Alberto Giordano (filósofo estilista)
December 04, 2008
Robert Fraser wrote:
> Robert Jacques wrote:
> 

Not exactly. If you set up a try-catch, an exception handling frame is set up. An exception handling frame is not necessary in order to throw an exception, it is only necessary to:

1. catch exceptions
2. unwind exceptions (run destructors)

What happens if a nothrow function does throw is that your destructors and finally clauses may not get run in between the throw and the catch. For example:

nothrow void foo();

void bar()
{
    try
    {
	foo();
    }
    finally
    {
        will_never_execute(); // even if foo() throws
    }
}

because the compiler will optimize away the finally clause.
December 04, 2008
Robert Jacques wrote:
> Okay, while we've been talking about OutOfMemoryError there's also RangeError, AssertError, FinalizeError and SwitchError and not allowing array indexing, contract programming or switches inside a nothrow function drastically reduces their usefulness (more so than allocation, in my opinion). So at least in debug mode, the handling frame (I think) exists in order to support RangeError and AssertError errors. However, SwitchError and HiddenFuncError occur in release code, so I'm not sure if nothrow functions will not have some error handling method. (I think FinalizeError is related to allocation and therefore OutOfMemoryError)

The idea behind Errors is that, even if you catch the exception, unwinding may not occur. Thus, your app should not be relying on destructors cleaning up properly. Catching an Error should only be used for doing things necessary before shutting down the app.