Mar 01, 2009
Daniel Keep
Mar 01, 2009
Georg Wrede
Mar 02, 2009
Simen Kjaeraas
February 26, 2009
Hi

I appreciate a lot this brand new language. Today I have searched for design patterns in Wikipedia, I was surprised by the lack of demo code in D. There is a lot in Java, C++, Php, C#... but not in D :(

I started to write demo code for singleton and visitor. It could be a good idea to continue and make D famous, isnt it ?

February 26, 2009
Raph pisze:
> Hi
> 
> I appreciate a lot this brand new language. Today I have searched for design patterns in Wikipedia, I was surprised by the lack of demo code in D. There is a lot in Java, C++, Php, C#... but not in D :(
> 
> I started to write demo code for singleton and visitor. It could be a good idea to continue and make D famous, isnt it ?
> 

Some time ago I put few design patterns in D to Wikipedia (I think one of them was visitor pattern). Unfortunately  later someone removed them, with comment that they add nothing interesting to pattern description.

So if you just put there just plain design pattern it will be probably removed later.

To succeed with this you will need to put into Wikipedia something really special :-)

BR
Marcin Kuszczak
(aarti_pl)
February 26, 2009
On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 10:16:55 -0500, Raph wrote:

> Hi
> 
> I appreciate a lot this brand new language. Today I have searched for design patterns in Wikipedia, I was surprised by the lack of demo code in D. There is a lot in Java, C++, Php, C#... but not in D :(
> 
> I started to write demo code for singleton and visitor. It could be a good idea to continue and make D famous, isnt it ?

The thing is, Wikipedia is not the platform for promoting specific 'brands'. The purpose is more geared towards promoting ideas, concepts, and facts. Providing alternate examples of design patterns in D, in articles about patterns, is not the best use of Wikipedia.

The places to but D code examples, are in articles about D, or where there are no existing examples for a concept or technique. I'm pretty sure that if you enter D examples where similar examples in other languages already exist, they will be promptly removed. Also, C is still the lingua-franca of the programming community, so examples in *any* other language are usually subject to 'special' editoral scrutiny.

-- 
Derek Parnell
Melbourne, Australia
March 01, 2009
Raph wrote:
> Hi
> 
> I appreciate a lot this brand new language. Today I have searched for
> design patterns in Wikipedia, I was surprised by the lack of demo
> code in D. There is a lot in Java, C++, Php, C#... but not in D :(
> 
> I started to write demo code for singleton and visitor. It could be a
> good idea to continue and make D famous, isnt it ?

Well, well!

As it happens, I just started another thread with almost the exact same idea!
March 01, 2009
Derek Parnell wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 10:16:55 -0500, Raph wrote:
>> I appreciate a lot this brand new language. Today I have searched for design
>> patterns in Wikipedia, I was surprised by the lack of demo code in D. There
>> is a lot in Java, C++, Php, C#... but not in D :(
>>
>> I started to write demo code for singleton and visitor. It could be a good
>> idea to continue and make D famous, isnt it ?
> 
> The thing is, Wikipedia is not the platform for promoting specific
> 'brands'. The purpose is more geared towards promoting ideas, concepts, and
> facts. Providing alternate examples of design patterns in D, in articles
> about patterns, is not the best use of Wikipedia. 
> 
> The places to but D code examples, are in articles about D, or where there
> are no existing examples for a concept or technique. I'm pretty sure that
> if you enter D examples where similar examples in other languages already
> exist, they will be promptly removed. Also, C is still the lingua-franca of
> the programming community, so examples in *any* other language are usually
> subject to 'special' editoral scrutiny.

While you are correct, it shouldn't discourage us from trying.

And, as you say, pages where there isn't yet any C or Java would be the best places to start.

As aarti_pl pointed out, it might happen that some D code gets removed, especially if there already is C, Java or C# code for the same thing. This only serves to show that proponents of other languages have this same idea of languages competing for publicity. This should make us even more determined!
March 01, 2009

Georg Wrede wrote:
> Derek Parnell wrote:
>> The thing is, Wikipedia is not the platform for promoting specific
>> 'brands'. The purpose is more geared towards promoting ideas,
>> concepts, and
>> facts. Providing alternate examples of design patterns in D, in articles
>> about patterns, is not the best use of Wikipedia.
>> The places to but D code examples, are in articles about D, or where
>> there
>> are no existing examples for a concept or technique. I'm pretty sure that
>> if you enter D examples where similar examples in other languages already
>> exist, they will be promptly removed. Also, C is still the
>> lingua-franca of
>> the programming community, so examples in *any* other language are
>> usually
>> subject to 'special' editoral scrutiny.
> 
> While you are correct, it shouldn't discourage us from trying.
> 
> And, as you say, pages where there isn't yet any C or Java would be the best places to start.
> 
> As aarti_pl pointed out, it might happen that some D code gets removed, especially if there already is C, Java or C# code for the same thing. This only serves to show that proponents of other languages have this same idea of languages competing for publicity. This should make us even more determined!

You don't win fans by going around shouting in people's faces, nor by artificially inflating your own importance.  Don't forget that Wikipedia is meant as a reference.  As much as we'd like to believe otherwise, D is a nothing to the general programming public.  They have examples in C, Java, etc. because those languages are widely used.  D isn't.

It'd be like adding examples in INTERCAL.  They'd remove it because it's not a "big," popular language.

Now, getting more projects out there written in D is another matter entirely...

-- Daniel
March 02, 2009
aarti_pl, el 26 de febrero a las 20:27 me escribiste:
> Raph pisze:
> >Hi
> >I appreciate a lot this brand new language. Today I have searched for design patterns in Wikipedia, I was surprised by the lack of demo code in D. There is a lot
> >in Java, C++, Php, C#... but not in D :(
> >I started to write demo code for singleton and visitor. It could be a good idea to continue and make D famous, isnt it ?
> 
> Some time ago I put few design patterns in D to Wikipedia (I think one of them was visitor pattern). Unfortunately  later someone removed them, with comment that they add nothing interesting to pattern description.
> 
> So if you just put there just plain design pattern it will be probably removed later.
> 
> To succeed with this you will need to put into Wikipedia something really special :-)

Maybe add a new pattern and implement it in D, this way the
D implementation should stay and the new added implementations in other
languages should be removed ;)

-- 
Leandro Lucarella (luca) | Blog colectivo: http://www.mazziblog.com.ar/blog/
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
GPG Key: 5F5A8D05 (F8CD F9A7 BF00 5431 4145  104C 949E BFB6 5F5A 8D05)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Soy como una mosca, parada en el agua.
Y vos sos un transatlántico, querés nadar a mi lado.
Y me estás ahogando.
March 02, 2009
On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 16:16:55 +0100, Raph <encom79@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
>
>

This list may be a good start:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Requested_articles/Applied_arts_and_sciences/Computer_science,_computing,_and_Internet#Algorithms

These are algorithms currently not documented on Wikipedia, and they might as well be implemented in D as any other language.

--
Simen