Thread overview
Should C functions automatically be nothrow?
Feb 07, 2012
Jonathan M Davis
Feb 07, 2012
Walter Bright
Feb 07, 2012
deadalnix
Feb 07, 2012
Stewart Gordon
Feb 07, 2012
Timon Gehr
Feb 07, 2012
Walter Bright
Feb 07, 2012
H. S. Teoh
Feb 08, 2012
Johannes Pfau
Feb 08, 2012
Martin Nowak
February 07, 2012
Can C functions throw? I don't know of any way that a C function could throw. Is it possible if you have a C function which calls a D function or something like that? I don't know. I wouldn't really expect the C function to be able to handle the D exception, in which case, it wouldn't end up throwing the exception to whatever code calls it.

Assuming that C functions can't throw, is there any reason _not_ to have the compiler automatically treat C functions as nothrow?

If we can't treat C funtions in general as nothrow (for whatever reason that may be), is there a reason why we can't explicitly mark the various C bindings in druntime as nothrow at the very least?

- Jonathan M Davis
February 07, 2012
On 2/6/2012 6:04 PM, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> Can C functions throw?

Yes. There's no reason you cannot write:

extern (C) void foo() { throw new Exception(); }
February 07, 2012
Le 07/02/2012 03:04, Jonathan M Davis a écrit :
> Can C functions throw? I don't know of any way that a C function could throw.
> Is it possible if you have a C function which calls a D function or something
> like that? I don't know. I wouldn't really expect the C function to be able to
> handle the D exception, in which case, it wouldn't end up throwing the
> exception to whatever code calls it.
>
> Assuming that C functions can't throw, is there any reason _not_ to have the
> compiler automatically treat C functions as nothrow?
>
> If we can't treat C funtions in general as nothrow (for whatever reason that
> may be), is there a reason why we can't explicitly mark the various C bindings
> in druntime as nothrow at the very least?
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

extern(C) goes in both directions. D can call C, but C can call D. And D can throw exceptions. So you can end up with extern(C) function that throw exceptions.
February 07, 2012
On 07/02/2012 02:04, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> Can C functions throw? I don't know of any way that a C function could throw.
<snip>

On top of what the others have said, functions written in C can certainly throw such things as AVs.

Stewart.
February 07, 2012
On 02/07/2012 02:40 PM, Stewart Gordon wrote:
> On 07/02/2012 02:04, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>> Can C functions throw? I don't know of any way that a C function could
>> throw.
> <snip>
>
> On top of what the others have said, functions written in C can
> certainly throw such things as AVs.
>
> Stewart.

AVs are not thrown. (if they were, they could be caught.)
February 07, 2012
On 2/7/2012 5:40 AM, Stewart Gordon wrote:
> On 07/02/2012 02:04, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>> Can C functions throw? I don't know of any way that a C function could throw.
> <snip>
>
> On top of what the others have said, functions written in C can certainly throw
> such things as AVs.

Although seg faults are converted into D exceptions on Windows by druntime, and so can be caught, I suspect this was not a good idea. It's completely non-portable to other systems.

Nor would C code do such a conversion anyway.

February 07, 2012
On Tue, Feb 07, 2012 at 11:53:45AM -0800, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 2/7/2012 5:40 AM, Stewart Gordon wrote:
> >On 07/02/2012 02:04, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> >>Can C functions throw? I don't know of any way that a C function could throw.
> ><snip>
> >
> >On top of what the others have said, functions written in C can certainly throw such things as AVs.
> 
> Although seg faults are converted into D exceptions on Windows by druntime, and so can be caught, I suspect this was not a good idea. It's completely non-portable to other systems.
[...]

I was going to suggest using siglongjmp() and doing stack-unwinding in the SEGV signal handler on Posix systems, but apparently this is very very evil because subsequent code will still be running in the signal handler's context and any call to signal-unsafe functions will cause undefined behaviour.

So yeah. Bad idea. :)

T

-- 
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
February 08, 2012
On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 20:53:45 +0100, Walter Bright <newshound2@digitalmars.com> wrote:

> On 2/7/2012 5:40 AM, Stewart Gordon wrote:
>> On 07/02/2012 02:04, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>>> Can C functions throw? I don't know of any way that a C function could throw.
>> <snip>
>>
>> On top of what the others have said, functions written in C can certainly throw
>> such things as AVs.
>
> Although seg faults are converted into D exceptions on Windows by druntime, and so can be caught, I suspect this was not a good idea. It's completely non-portable to other systems.
>
> Nor would C code do such a conversion anyway.
>

I'm not a big fan of translating async exceptions which causes enough bad usage in C++ land.
We're translating them to Errors though.

Visual C++ allows to switch between different EH models http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/1deeycx5(v=vs.100).aspx.
February 08, 2012
Am Tue, 7 Feb 2012 12:31:06 -0800
schrieb "H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh@quickfur.ath.cx>:

> On Tue, Feb 07, 2012 at 11:53:45AM -0800, Walter Bright wrote:
> > On 2/7/2012 5:40 AM, Stewart Gordon wrote:
> > >On 07/02/2012 02:04, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> > >>Can C functions throw? I don't know of any way that a C function could throw.
> > ><snip>
> > >
> > >On top of what the others have said, functions written in C can certainly throw such things as AVs.
> > 
> > Although seg faults are converted into D exceptions on Windows by druntime, and so can be caught, I suspect this was not a good idea. It's completely non-portable to other systems.
> [...]
> 
> I was going to suggest using siglongjmp() and doing stack-unwinding in the SEGV signal handler on Posix systems, but apparently this is very very evil because subsequent code will still be running in the signal handler's context and any call to signal-unsafe functions will cause undefined behaviour.
> 
> So yeah. Bad idea. :)
> 
> 
> T
> 

Does libsigsegv have the same restrictions or how is it implemented?