Apr 16, 2012
deadalnix
Apr 21, 2012
Marco Leise
Apr 21, 2012
Jakob Ovrum
April 16, 2012
Hi,

I'd like to have more informations about the subsets of D.
My current understanding is that D have at least one subset that is called
SafeD, I m reading that article about it right now:
http://dlang.org/safed.html
I first thought there was only SafeD but in a recent video from Lang.Next
mr Alexandrescu says there are several layers or something similar.
Am I correct?

Also, I would like to find a page on the website that list clearly what is in each subset. I couldn t find it so far but maybe I m not using the right words to search.

Thanks

Klaim / Joel Lamotte

April 16, 2012
Le 16/04/2012 10:40, Klaim - Joël Lamotte a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to have more informations about the subsets of D.
> My current understanding is that D have at least one subset that is
> called SafeD, I m reading that article about it right now:
> http://dlang.org/safed.html
> I first thought there was only SafeD but in a recent video from
> Lang.Next mr Alexandrescu says there are several layers or something
> similar.
> Am I correct?
>
> Also, I would like to find a page on the website that list clearly what
> is in each subset. I couldn t find it so far but maybe I m not using the
> right words to search.
>
>
> Thanks
>
> Klaim / Joel Lamotte
>

@safe only allow operation that cannot screw up your memory. @system is the complete language.

@trusted is an explicit qualifie, to allow @safe code to call @system code. It is mandatory, for instance, for @safe code to call the GC (GC code cannot be @safe).

It is up to the develloper to ensure that @trusted code can really be trusted, so it isn't a subset.
April 16, 2012
On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 17:53, deadalnix <deadalnix@gmail.com> wrote:

>
> @safe only allow operation that cannot screw up your memory. @system is the complete language.
>
> @trusted is an explicit qualifie, to allow @safe code to call @system code. It is mandatory, for instance, for @safe code to call the GC (GC code cannot be @safe).
>
> It is up to the develloper to ensure that @trusted code can really be trusted, so it isn't a subset.
>

Thanks, it helps a bit.
However, a clear list of feature -> subset would be far more useful for me.

Klaim / Joel Lamotte

April 21, 2012
Am Mon, 16 Apr 2012 18:10:05 +0900
schrieb Klaim - Joël Lamotte <mjklaim@gmail.com>:

> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 17:53, deadalnix <deadalnix@gmail.com> wrote:
> 
> >
> > @safe only allow operation that cannot screw up your memory. @system is the complete language.
> >
> > @trusted is an explicit qualifie, to allow @safe code to call @system code. It is mandatory, for instance, for @safe code to call the GC (GC code cannot be @safe).
> >
> > It is up to the develloper to ensure that @trusted code can really be trusted, so it isn't a subset.
> >
> 
> 
> Thanks, it helps a bit.
> However, a clear list of feature -> subset would be far more useful for me.
> 
> Klaim / Joel Lamotte

Since noone answered, I don't know what you heard in the video, but from my experience @safe is the only real subset that exists. And for you as the developer it means, that you can not use I/O and operations on pointers. Also when compiling in -release mode @safe keeps array bounds checks, while @system drops those checks. I imagine @safe code as encapsulated. It cannot talk to the outside world or access unrelated parts through pointer arithmetic. (Although, you can always call @trusted code which in turn calls @system code.) It's probably comparable to programming in a VM language like Java. You can apply @safe to either single functions or right at the top of your module to cover all code like so: "@safe:".

A feature table of @safe/@system is probably overkill, since most features still work. You just lose ASM/pointer arithmetics and direct calls to @system functions (which is the default). Work is on the way to mark as much of Phobos @safe as possible, since some functions still miss that attribute.

-- 
Marco

April 21, 2012
On Saturday, 21 April 2012 at 15:33:08 UTC, Marco Leise wrote:
> Since noone answered, I don't know what you heard in the video, but from my experience @safe is the only real subset that exists. And for you as the developer it means, that you can not use I/O and operations on pointers. Also when compiling in -release mode @safe keeps array bounds checks, while @system drops those checks. I imagine @safe code as encapsulated. It cannot talk to the outside world or access unrelated parts through pointer arithmetic. (Although, you can always call @trusted code which in turn calls @system code.) It's probably comparable to programming in a VM language like Java. You can apply @safe to either single functions or right at the top of your module to cover all code like so: "@safe:".
>
> A feature table of @safe/@system is probably overkill, since most features still work. You just lose ASM/pointer arithmetics and direct calls to @system functions (which is the default). Work is on the way to mark as much of Phobos @safe as possible, since some functions still miss that attribute.

There is a list at:

http://dlang.org/function.html#function-safety

And a separate, apparently less-maintained list at:

http://dlang.org/memory-safe-d.html

Phobos' I/O routines are @trusted, hence you can use them in SafeD.

SafeD is the only defined language subset of D that the specification and compiler deal with.