Apr 23, 2019
arakan arkino
Apr 23, 2019
Andre Pany
Apr 24, 2019
Laurent Tréguier
January 09, 2018
Hello,

can anybody please help me get code completion in either VS Code (CodeD) or IntelliJ IDEA (IntelliJ D Language 1.15.4) to work under Ubuntu x86-64?

For IntelliJ, I installed DCD 0.9.1-Q from d-apt, configured the installation path under "D Tools" in the IntelliJ configuration (path is detected automatically) and added a configuration file dcd.conf under ~/.config/dcd, which looks like this:

/usr/include/dmd/druntime/import/
/usr/include/dmd/phobos/

Unforunately when I press the dot after an object name in the editor, I get a random list of suggestions instead of the correct method names, please see

https://picload.org/view/ddldidri/dcd.png.html

VS Code installs it's own version of DCD. The suggestions are simply a list of all keywords in the current file, please see

https://picload.org/view/ddldioga/dcd2.png.html

Can anybody please tell me how to fix this?

Best regards and thanks in advance,
Timo

January 10, 2018
On Tuesday, 9 January 2018 at 21:29:30 UTC, Timo Gransch wrote:
> Hello,
>
> can anybody please help me get code completion in either VS Code (CodeD) or IntelliJ IDEA (IntelliJ D Language 1.15.4) to work under Ubuntu x86-64?
>
> For IntelliJ, I installed DCD 0.9.1-Q from d-apt, configured the installation path under "D Tools" in the IntelliJ configuration (path is detected automatically) and added a configuration file dcd.conf under ~/.config/dcd, which looks like this:
>
> /usr/include/dmd/druntime/import/
> /usr/include/dmd/phobos/
>
> Unforunately when I press the dot after an object name in the editor, I get a random list of suggestions instead of the correct method names, please see
>
> https://picload.org/view/ddldidri/dcd.png.html
>
> VS Code installs it's own version of DCD. The suggestions are simply a list of all keywords in the current file, please see
>
> https://picload.org/view/ddldioga/dcd2.png.html
>
> Can anybody please tell me how to fix this?
>
> Best regards and thanks in advance,
> Timo

From your second snapshot, try with "import std.datetime" instead of "std.datetime.systime"
January 10, 2018
On Tuesday, 9 January 2018 at 21:29:30 UTC, Timo Gransch wrote:
> Hello,
>
> can anybody please help me get code completion in either VS Code (CodeD) or IntelliJ IDEA (IntelliJ D Language 1.15.4) to work under Ubuntu x86-64?

For me, on Ubuntu, i have to restart manually dcd (ctrl+P + kill DCD server or restart DCD server) AND reload import Path (ctrl+P + Reload import path).
Apart that it works very well (again for me).

Maybe that works for you also ...

Waiting patiently for serve-d, the next iteration of Webfreak's code-d to be ready...
or you can try directly serve-d, (didn't work for me last time i checked)

Cheers

January 10, 2018
Am Wed, 10 Jan 2018 16:10:12 +0000
schrieb Tariq Siddiqui <m.tariqsiddiqui@gmail.com>:

>  From your second snapshot, try with "import std.datetime" instead
> of "std.datetime.systime"

Thanks for your answer. No change unfortunately.

https://picload.org/view/ddlawlra/dcd3.png.html

Best regards,
Timo

January 10, 2018
Am Wed, 10 Jan 2018 20:13:16 +0000
schrieb visitor <visitor@gmail.com>:

> For me, on Ubuntu, i have to restart manually dcd (ctrl+P + kill
> DCD server or restart DCD server) AND reload import Path (ctrl+P
> + Reload import path).
> Apart that it works very well (again for me).
> 
> Maybe that works for you also ...

Thanks a lot! Now it does. :-)

Just one correction for the archives: The keyboard shortcut is Ctrl-Shift-P. I even didn't need to reload the import path. Just "restart DCD Server" did the trick.

https://picload.org/view/ddlawcoa/dcd4.png.html

> Waiting patiently for serve-d, the next iteration of Webfreak's code-d to be ready...

There are several interesting things in the making concerning IDEs. DlangIDE for example has nicely working code completion and is very lightweight and easy to use, but unfortunately lacks some debugging features like custom watches.

Let's see what 2018 will bring to the D community.

Thanks again and best regards,
Timo
January 25, 2018
On Wednesday, 10 January 2018 at 21:24:57 UTC, Timo Gransch wrote:
> Am Wed, 10 Jan 2018 20:13:16 +0000
> schrieb visitor <visitor@gmail.com>:
>
>> [...]
>
> Thanks a lot! Now it does. :-)
>
> Just one correction for the archives: The keyboard shortcut is Ctrl-Shift-P. I even didn't need to reload the import path. Just "restart DCD Server" did the trick.
>
> https://picload.org/view/ddlawcoa/dcd4.png.html
>
>> [...]
>
> There are several interesting things in the making concerning IDEs. DlangIDE for example has nicely working code completion and is very lightweight and easy to use, but unfortunately lacks some debugging features like custom watches.
>
> Let's see what 2018 will bring to the D community.
>
> Thanks again and best regards,
> Timo

Can somebody tell me how it works for intelliJ?
There the shortcut seems not to work :P
February 03, 2018
On Thursday, 25 January 2018 at 14:58:51 UTC, Jiyan wrote:
> On Wednesday, 10 January 2018 at 21:24:57 UTC, Timo Gransch wrote:
>> Am Wed, 10 Jan 2018 20:13:16 +0000
>> schrieb visitor <visitor@gmail.com>:
>>
>>> [...]
>>
>> Thanks a lot! Now it does. :-)
>>
>> Just one correction for the archives: The keyboard shortcut is Ctrl-Shift-P. I even didn't need to reload the import path. Just "restart DCD Server" did the trick.
>>
>> https://picload.org/view/ddlawcoa/dcd4.png.html
>>
>>> [...]
>>
>> There are several interesting things in the making concerning IDEs. DlangIDE for example has nicely working code completion and is very lightweight and easy to use, but unfortunately lacks some debugging features like custom watches.
>>
>> Let's see what 2018 will bring to the D community.
>>
>> Thanks again and best regards,
>> Timo
>
> Can somebody tell me how it works for intelliJ?
> There the shortcut seems not to work :P

I'm one of the core devs for the intellij plugin.
Make sure that the following are setup:

1. You have a D project sdk, under File > Project Structure

2. If your project is a dub project make sure you have added your dependencies to the intellij project. This can be done automatically via Tools > Process D Libraries. In future releases this will be done automatically whenever dub.json/sdl is changed.

3.Dcd server and client executable paths are configured under Settings > Other Settings > D Tools. In future releases this is moving to Languages & Frameworks. The next release will also add an option to disable builtin completion, which you will probably want to do.

Please note that because of the way intellij handles saving files certain dcd operations are be done synchronously which can create performance issues.We are working on this. Code completion is currently a mix of intellij code completion and dcd, symbols from dcd have a d logo next too them.
April 23, 2019
On Saturday, 3 February 2018 at 19:23:12 UTC, Francis Nixon wrote:
> On Thursday, 25 January 2018 at 14:58:51 UTC, Jiyan wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 10 January 2018 at 21:24:57 UTC, Timo Gransch wrote:
>>> Am Wed, 10 Jan 2018 20:13:16 +0000
>>> schrieb visitor <visitor@gmail.com>:
>>>
>>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot! Now it does. :-)
>>>
>>> Just one correction for the archives: The keyboard shortcut is Ctrl-Shift-P. I even didn't need to reload the import path. Just "restart DCD Server" did the trick.
>>>
>>> https://picload.org/view/ddlawcoa/dcd4.png.html
>>>
>>>> [...]
>>>
>>> There are several interesting things in the making concerning IDEs. DlangIDE for example has nicely working code completion and is very lightweight and easy to use, but unfortunately lacks some debugging features like custom watches.
>>>
>>> Let's see what 2018 will bring to the D community.
>>>
>>> Thanks again and best regards,
>>> Timo
>>
>> Can somebody tell me how it works for intelliJ?
>> There the shortcut seems not to work :P
>
> I'm one of the core devs for the intellij plugin.
> Make sure that the following are setup:
>
> 1. You have a D project sdk, under File > Project Structure
>
> 2. If your project is a dub project make sure you have added your dependencies to the intellij project. This can be done automatically via Tools > Process D Libraries. In future releases this will be done automatically whenever dub.json/sdl is changed.
>
> 3.Dcd server and client executable paths are configured under Settings > Other Settings > D Tools. In future releases this is moving to Languages & Frameworks. The next release will also add an option to disable builtin completion, which you will probably want to do.
>
> Please note that because of the way intellij handles saving files certain dcd operations are be done synchronously which can create performance issues.We are working on this. Code completion is currently a mix of intellij code completion and dcd, symbols from dcd have a d logo next too them.

For me, on Ubuntu, i have to restart manually dcd (ctrl+P + kill DCD server or restart DCD server) AND reload import Path (ctrl+P + Reload import path).

April 23, 2019
On Tuesday, 23 April 2019 at 18:24:24 UTC, arakan arkino wrote:
> On Saturday, 3 February 2018 at 19:23:12 UTC, Francis Nixon wrote:
>> [...]
>
> For me, on Ubuntu, i have to restart manually dcd (ctrl+P + kill DCD server or restart DCD server) AND reload import Path (ctrl+P + Reload import path).

I make use of language server protocol in Intellij for code completion, here I use DLS. Instead of calling the DCD client executable for each request, DLS uses DCD as a library. The performance and stability difference is tremendous.

Kind regards
Andre
April 24, 2019
On Tuesday, 23 April 2019 at 21:19:29 UTC, Andre Pany wrote:
> I make use of language server protocol in Intellij for code completion, here I use DLS. Instead of calling the DCD client executable for each request, DLS uses DCD as a library. The performance and stability difference is tremendous.
>
> Kind regards
> Andre

Using DCD as a library means any error thrown in DCD crashes DLS directly; so the stability difference may be tremendous... but not in a good way