Jan Knepper
Jul 09, 2002
ben
Jul 09, 2002
Jan Knepper
Jul 10, 2002
andy
July 05, 2002
OK, I put a little pressure on the kettle and finished (more or less) the toy2 front-end for GCC written in C++. The tarball is available at ftp://ftp.opend.org/

The build has been modified so toy2 will build with GCC as that was a concern also.

I guess now it is time to get serious about the 'glue' layer to glue Walter's D-front-end to the GCC-back-end.

Have fun!
Jan

July 08, 2002
tremendous I can't wait to look at it.

Jan Knepper wrote:
> OK, I put a little pressure on the kettle and finished (more or less) the toy2 front-end for GCC written in C++. The tarball is available at ftp://ftp.opend.org/
> 
> The build has been modified so toy2 will build with GCC as that was a concern also.
> 
> I guess now it is time to get serious about the 'glue' layer to glue Walter's D-front-end to the GCC-back-end.
> 
> Have fun!
> Jan
> 

July 09, 2002
Looked at it yet?
Jan

andy wrote:
> tremendous I can't wait to look at it.
> 
> Jan Knepper wrote:
> 
>> OK, I put a little pressure on the kettle and finished (more or less) the toy2 front-end for GCC written in C++. The tarball is available at ftp://ftp.opend.org/
>>
>> The build has been modified so toy2 will build with GCC as that was a concern also.
>>
>> I guess now it is time to get serious about the 'glue' layer to glue Walter's D-front-end to the GCC-back-end.
>>
>> Have fun!
>> Jan
>>
> 
> 

July 09, 2002
Hello Jan and Andy

I have been trying to figure out the tree for gcc, and I am pretty sure that I am in over my head, so If you don't hear alot from me that is why.. I am going to keep looking.. Thanks for putting this together Jan..

Later, Ben

Jan Knepper wrote:

> Looked at it yet?
> Jan
> 
> 
> 
> andy wrote:
>> tremendous I can't wait to look at it.
>> 
>> Jan Knepper wrote:
>> 
>>> OK, I put a little pressure on the kettle and finished (more or less) the toy2 front-end for GCC written in C++. The tarball is available at ftp://ftp.opend.org/
>>>
>>> The build has been modified so toy2 will build with GCC as that was a concern also.
>>>
>>> I guess now it is time to get serious about the 'glue' layer to glue Walter's D-front-end to the GCC-back-end.
>>>
>>> Have fun!
>>> Jan
>>>
>> 
>>

July 09, 2002
Jan Knepper wrote:

> OK, I put a little pressure on the kettle and finished (more or less) the toy2 front-end for GCC written in C++. The tarball is available at ftp://ftp.opend.org/
> 
> The build has been modified so toy2 will build with GCC as that was a concern also.
> 
> I guess now it is time to get serious about the 'glue' layer to glue Walter's D-front-end to the GCC-back-end.
> 
> Have fun!
> Jan

Hello Jan

I am looking at your code now, one thing is that its for gcc-2.95.1.. I have a toy example from 3.1.. I can email it to you..

Later Ben
July 09, 2002
Ben, I know about that example, but that goes with GCC 3.1. is what I
understood.
Since 3.1 is too much of a bleeding edge to be I decided to go with STABLE
2.95.1 for now...
Jan

ben wrote:

> Jan Knepper wrote:
>
> > OK, I put a little pressure on the kettle and finished (more or less) the toy2 front-end for GCC written in C++. The tarball is available at ftp://ftp.opend.org/
> >
> > The build has been modified so toy2 will build with GCC as that was a concern also.
> >
> > I guess now it is time to get serious about the 'glue' layer to glue Walter's D-front-end to the GCC-back-end.
> >
> > Have fun!
> > Jan
>
> Hello Jan
>
> I am looking at your code now, one thing is that its for gcc-2.95.1.. I have a toy example from 3.1.. I can email it to you..
>
> Later Ben

July 09, 2002
Hello Jan

I think in the 2.95 series 2.95.3 is the most stable.. But 3.1.1 is going to be out soon, and its getting closer to usable.. If its going to take us a long time to get d working, I would think by then 3.2 will be out and it will be farly solid (well hoping anyway).. Also note that most distributions are now working on there next release with 3.1.1.. There has been a large discussion about it in the gcc mailing list, and suse, redhat, mandrake, and I am sure there are other, slackware has it but its not the main compiler, but I would not be surprised if they also went with it..

Later, Ben

Jan Knepper wrote:

> Ben, I know about that example, but that goes with GCC 3.1. is what I
> understood.
> Since 3.1 is too much of a bleeding edge to be I decided to go with STABLE
> 2.95.1 for now...
> Jan
> 
> 
> 
> ben wrote:
> 
>> Jan Knepper wrote:
>>
>> > OK, I put a little pressure on the kettle and finished (more or less) the toy2 front-end for GCC written in C++. The tarball is available at ftp://ftp.opend.org/
>> >
>> > The build has been modified so toy2 will build with GCC as that was a concern also.
>> >
>> > I guess now it is time to get serious about the 'glue' layer to glue Walter's D-front-end to the GCC-back-end.
>> >
>> > Have fun!
>> > Jan
>>
>> Hello Jan
>>
>> I am looking at your code now, one thing is that its for gcc-2.95.1.. I have a toy example from 3.1.. I can email it to you..
>>
>> Later Ben

July 09, 2002
Hi Ben!

I know the 2.95.* series is the most stable. I just took 2.95.1 because that was the version that matched the original toy.

I also know that 3.* is going to be out soon.

But have no worries as to which version is going to be used for D. I am sure that upgrading D to a newer version of the back-end is not nearly going to be as difficult as developing the initial GLUE layer.

I think before I start getting into that which will take a couple of weeks as I am about to leave for China for a week, I probably will go with one of the later versions (3.1) and they should be stable at the time the GLUE layer is done.

Jan

ben wrote:

> Hello Jan
>
> I think in the 2.95 series 2.95.3 is the most stable.. But 3.1.1 is going to be out soon, and its getting closer to usable.. If its going to take us a long time to get d working, I would think by then 3.2 will be out and it will be farly solid (well hoping anyway).. Also note that most distributions are now working on there next release with 3.1.1.. There has been a large discussion about it in the gcc mailing list, and suse, redhat, mandrake, and I am sure there are other, slackware has it but its not the main compiler, but I would not be surprised if they also went with it..
>
> Later, Ben
>
> Jan Knepper wrote:
>
> > Ben, I know about that example, but that goes with GCC 3.1. is what I
> > understood.
> > Since 3.1 is too much of a bleeding edge to be I decided to go with STABLE
> > 2.95.1 for now...
> > Jan
> >
> >
> >
> > ben wrote:
> >
> >> Jan Knepper wrote:
> >>
> >> > OK, I put a little pressure on the kettle and finished (more or less) the toy2 front-end for GCC written in C++. The tarball is available at ftp://ftp.opend.org/
> >> >
> >> > The build has been modified so toy2 will build with GCC as that was a concern also.
> >> >
> >> > I guess now it is time to get serious about the 'glue' layer to glue Walter's D-front-end to the GCC-back-end.
> >> >
> >> > Have fun!
> >> > Jan
> >>
> >> Hello Jan
> >>
> >> I am looking at your code now, one thing is that its for gcc-2.95.1.. I have a toy example from 3.1.. I can email it to you..
> >>
> >> Later Ben

July 10, 2002
Yeah, by the time we're done with the glue layer....3.1 will be done.

I'll be switching this onto the long cycle soon.

-Andy

Jan Knepper wrote:
> Hi Ben!
> 
> I know the 2.95.* series is the most stable. I just took 2.95.1 because that was
> the version that matched the original toy.
> 
> I also know that 3.* is going to be out soon.
> 
> But have no worries as to which version is going to be used for D. I am sure
> that upgrading D to a newer version of the back-end is not nearly going to be as
> difficult as developing the initial GLUE layer.
> 
> I think before I start getting into that which will take a couple of weeks as I
> am about to leave for China for a week, I probably will go with one of the later
> versions (3.1) and they should be stable at the time the GLUE layer is done.
> 
> Jan
> 
> 
> 
> ben wrote:
> 
> 
>>Hello Jan
>>
>>I think in the 2.95 series 2.95.3 is the most stable.. But 3.1.1 is going to
>>be out soon, and its getting closer to usable.. If its going to take us a
>>long time to get d working, I would think by then 3.2 will be out and it
>>will be farly solid (well hoping anyway).. Also note that most
>>distributions are now working on there next release with 3.1.1.. There has
>>been a large discussion about it in the gcc mailing list, and suse, redhat,
>>mandrake, and I am sure there are other, slackware has it but its not the
>>main compiler, but I would not be surprised if they also went with it..
>>
>>Later, Ben
>>
>>Jan Knepper wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Ben, I know about that example, but that goes with GCC 3.1. is what I
>>>understood.
>>>Since 3.1 is too much of a bleeding edge to be I decided to go with STABLE
>>>2.95.1 for now...
>>>Jan
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>ben wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>>Jan Knepper wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>OK, I put a little pressure on the kettle and finished (more or less)
>>>>>the toy2 front-end for GCC written in C++. The tarball is available at
>>>>>ftp://ftp.opend.org/
>>>>>
>>>>>The build has been modified so toy2 will build with GCC as that was a
>>>>>concern also.
>>>>>
>>>>>I guess now it is time to get serious about the 'glue' layer to glue
>>>>>Walter's D-front-end to the GCC-back-end.
>>>>>
>>>>>Have fun!
>>>>>Jan
>>>>
>>>>Hello Jan
>>>>
>>>>I am looking at your code now, one thing is that its for gcc-2.95.1.. I
>>>>have a toy example from 3.1.. I can email it to you..
>>>>
>>>>Later Ben
>>>
>