Thread overview
Error 42: Symbol Undefined _DirectDrawCreate@12 (And I'm already importing ddraw.lib, which I generated with implib)
Mar 06, 2004
SL
Mar 06, 2004
Jan Knepper
Mar 06, 2004
Jan Knepper
Mar 06, 2004
SL
Mar 06, 2004
Jan Knepper
Mar 08, 2004
Phill
Mar 08, 2004
Jan Knepper
Mar 08, 2004
Phil Thompson
March 06, 2004
I'm getting this error (Error 42: Symbol Undefined _DirectDrawCreate@12) from the linker, despite the fact that I'm including ddraw.lib (which I generated from c:\windows\system32\ddraw.dll using implib (Digital Mars Import Library Manager Version 7.6B1n)) in the compile-line.

Compile line:

sc.exe -mn win.cpp noctis.cpp noctis-0.cpp noctis-1.cpp noctis.def user32.lib kernel32.lib winmm.lib ddrawex.lib advapi32.lib shell32.lib ddraw.lib gdi32.lib -oNoctis_D -dDEBUGBUILD -gp -s -Ju -L/co/ma -g -cpp | more

(No, all those libs aren't needed, but since this didn't want to work, I added anything that looked like it might remotely help)

The output after compilation is:
-----------------
link win+noctis+noctis-0+noctis-1,Noctis_D,,user32+kernel32+winmm+ddrawex+advapi
32+shell32+ddraw+gdi32+user32+kernel32,noctis/co/noi/co/ma;
OPTLINK (R) for Win32  Release 7.50B1
Copyright (C) Digital Mars 1989 - 2001  All Rights Reserved

win.obj(win)
 Error 42: Symbol Undefined _DirectDrawCreate@12

--- errorlevel 1

-----------------

DirectDrawCreate does indeed exist in ddraw.dll, and it looks like it's in the lib as well, or so I'm guessing since it's in the text in the lib when I look at it in a hex-editor, though the text does not have a _ before DirectDrawCreate, or an @12 after it, anywhere ("DirectDrawCreate" is in the lib file several times).

These are in the includes:
#include <initguid.h>
#include <ddraw.h>
#include <winuser.h>

(P.S. MSDN says that I only need to import ddraw.h and include ddraw.lib in the libraries to use DirectDrawCreate. http://msdn.microsoft.com/archive/default.asp?url=/archive/en-us/ddraw7/directdraw7/ddref_3h6f.asp )

I was having a problem where IID_IDirectDraw2 didn't exist before, but solved it by adding #include <initguid.h> there... #define INITGUID didn't work (I tried that first), but #include <initguid.h> did.

Also, I had to define DDSURFACEDESC2 (A struct) myself in order to use it, since it wasn't in ddraw.h either.

Also, IID_IDirectDraw7 didn't (doesn't) seem to exist either, and I had (have) no effective way to fix that, since I would have to know the massively long number it's made from....

-----

I thought that the problem might have been the ddraw header file being out of date, so I downloaded the DirectX SDK, and installed it, and took the ddraw.h from there and threw it in the program source folder, and changed the #include <ddraw.h> to #include "ddraw.h" - And, well, DDSURFACEDESC2 exists now, so I commented out mine, but it still won't link, still giving that error about _DirectDrawCreate@12. :/

I tried implib /system, too, by the way, and didn't notice any difference. Also tried running implib on a ddraw.def I got from http://programming.ccp14.ac.uk/ftp-mirror/programming/mingw32/home/janjaap/mingw32/platform-SDK/def/ddraw.def (found via google), which didn't solve the linking problem either.

(I managed to get it to link by hex-editing the .lib to say _irectDrawCreate, and changing the function name in the ddraw.h and the source files which use it to irectDrawCreate (no D), but of course, the program won't run. :P)

I suppose the question I should be asking is "How do I make DM stop adding that _ before the function name and the @12 after the function name, because the .dll and the .lib don't have it?"

Oh, P.S. I tried fiddling with the declaration of DirectDrawCreate in ddraw.h (changing it from WINAMP to __cdecl, __stdcall, FAR PASCAL, etc, but it didn't help. What? I was desparate!).

(I also tried searching old posts here, now that I have mozilla set up to read from the news-server, but I didn't find much except something that indicated that someone might have to send me a ddraw.lib to fix the problem, since apparently implib doesn't work on 100% of DLLs or something? (It seemed to work fine on all the other (system) DLLs I used it on, and I didn't use /system... Oh well.)
March 06, 2004
Which IMPLIB did you use?

SL wrote:
> I'm getting this error (Error 42: Symbol Undefined _DirectDrawCreate@12) from the linker, despite the fact that I'm including ddraw.lib (which I generated from c:\windows\system32\ddraw.dll using implib (Digital Mars Import Library Manager Version 7.6B1n)) in the compile-line.
> 
> Compile line:
> 
> sc.exe -mn win.cpp noctis.cpp noctis-0.cpp noctis-1.cpp noctis.def user32.lib kernel32.lib winmm.lib ddrawex.lib advapi32.lib shell32.lib ddraw.lib gdi32.lib -oNoctis_D -dDEBUGBUILD -gp -s -Ju -L/co/ma -g -cpp | more
> 
> (No, all those libs aren't needed, but since this didn't want to work, I added anything that looked like it might remotely help)
> 
> The output after compilation is:
> -----------------
> link win+noctis+noctis-0+noctis-1,Noctis_D,,user32+kernel32+winmm+ddrawex+advapi
> 32+shell32+ddraw+gdi32+user32+kernel32,noctis/co/noi/co/ma;
> OPTLINK (R) for Win32  Release 7.50B1
> Copyright (C) Digital Mars 1989 - 2001  All Rights Reserved
> 
> win.obj(win)
>  Error 42: Symbol Undefined _DirectDrawCreate@12
> 
> --- errorlevel 1
> 
> -----------------
> 
> DirectDrawCreate does indeed exist in ddraw.dll, and it looks like it's in the lib as well, or so I'm guessing since it's in the text in the lib when I look at it in a hex-editor, though the text does not have a _ before DirectDrawCreate, or an @12 after it, anywhere ("DirectDrawCreate" is in the lib file several times).
> 
> These are in the includes:
> #include <initguid.h>
> #include <ddraw.h>
> #include <winuser.h>
> 
> (P.S. MSDN says that I only need to import ddraw.h and include ddraw.lib in the libraries to use DirectDrawCreate. http://msdn.microsoft.com/archive/default.asp?url=/archive/en-us/ddraw7/directdraw7/ddref_3h6f.asp )
> 
> I was having a problem where IID_IDirectDraw2 didn't exist before, but solved it by adding #include <initguid.h> there... #define INITGUID didn't work (I tried that first), but #include <initguid.h> did.
> 
> Also, I had to define DDSURFACEDESC2 (A struct) myself in order to use it, since it wasn't in ddraw.h either.
> 
> Also, IID_IDirectDraw7 didn't (doesn't) seem to exist either, and I had (have) no effective way to fix that, since I would have to know the massively long number it's made from....
> 
> -----
> 
> I thought that the problem might have been the ddraw header file being out of date, so I downloaded the DirectX SDK, and installed it, and took the ddraw.h from there and threw it in the program source folder, and changed the #include <ddraw.h> to #include "ddraw.h" - And, well, DDSURFACEDESC2 exists now, so I commented out mine, but it still won't link, still giving that error about _DirectDrawCreate@12. :/
> 
> I tried implib /system, too, by the way, and didn't notice any difference. Also tried running implib on a ddraw.def I got from http://programming.ccp14.ac.uk/ftp-mirror/programming/mingw32/home/janjaap/mingw32/platform-SDK/def/ddraw.def (found via google), which didn't solve the linking problem either.
> 
> (I managed to get it to link by hex-editing the .lib to say _irectDrawCreate, and changing the function name in the ddraw.h and the source files which use it to irectDrawCreate (no D), but of course, the program won't run. :P)
> 
> I suppose the question I should be asking is "How do I make DM stop adding that _ before the function name and the @12 after the function name, because the .dll and the .lib don't have it?"
> 
> Oh, P.S. I tried fiddling with the declaration of DirectDrawCreate in ddraw.h (changing it from WINAMP to __cdecl, __stdcall, FAR PASCAL, etc, but it didn't help. What? I was desparate!).
> 
> (I also tried searching old posts here, now that I have mozilla set up to read from the news-server, but I didn't find much except something that indicated that someone might have to send me a ddraw.lib to fix the problem, since apparently implib doesn't work on 100% of DLLs or something? (It seemed to work fine on all the other (system) DLLs I used it on, and I didn't use /system... Oh well.)

-- 
ManiaC++
Jan Knepper

But as for me and my household, we shall use Mozilla... www.mozilla.org
March 06, 2004
Also... Trying to search for direct draw, ddraw or DirectX might help...
http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp-a=sp1000ce79&sp-f=iso-8859-1&sp-q=directx

SL wrote:

> I'm getting this error (Error 42: Symbol Undefined _DirectDrawCreate@12) from the linker, despite the fact that I'm including ddraw.lib (which I generated from c:\windows\system32\ddraw.dll using implib (Digital Mars Import Library Manager Version 7.6B1n)) in the compile-line.
> 
> Compile line:
> 
> sc.exe -mn win.cpp noctis.cpp noctis-0.cpp noctis-1.cpp noctis.def user32.lib kernel32.lib winmm.lib ddrawex.lib advapi32.lib shell32.lib ddraw.lib gdi32.lib -oNoctis_D -dDEBUGBUILD -gp -s -Ju -L/co/ma -g -cpp | more
> 
> (No, all those libs aren't needed, but since this didn't want to work, I added anything that looked like it might remotely help)
> 
> The output after compilation is:
> -----------------
> link win+noctis+noctis-0+noctis-1,Noctis_D,,user32+kernel32+winmm+ddrawex+advapi
> 32+shell32+ddraw+gdi32+user32+kernel32,noctis/co/noi/co/ma;
> OPTLINK (R) for Win32  Release 7.50B1
> Copyright (C) Digital Mars 1989 - 2001  All Rights Reserved
> 
> win.obj(win)
>  Error 42: Symbol Undefined _DirectDrawCreate@12
> 
> --- errorlevel 1
> 
> -----------------
> 
> DirectDrawCreate does indeed exist in ddraw.dll, and it looks like it's in the lib as well, or so I'm guessing since it's in the text in the lib when I look at it in a hex-editor, though the text does not have a _ before DirectDrawCreate, or an @12 after it, anywhere ("DirectDrawCreate" is in the lib file several times).
> 
> These are in the includes:
> #include <initguid.h>
> #include <ddraw.h>
> #include <winuser.h>
> 
> (P.S. MSDN says that I only need to import ddraw.h and include ddraw.lib in the libraries to use DirectDrawCreate. http://msdn.microsoft.com/archive/default.asp?url=/archive/en-us/ddraw7/directdraw7/ddref_3h6f.asp )
> 
> I was having a problem where IID_IDirectDraw2 didn't exist before, but solved it by adding #include <initguid.h> there... #define INITGUID didn't work (I tried that first), but #include <initguid.h> did.
> 
> Also, I had to define DDSURFACEDESC2 (A struct) myself in order to use it, since it wasn't in ddraw.h either.
> 
> Also, IID_IDirectDraw7 didn't (doesn't) seem to exist either, and I had (have) no effective way to fix that, since I would have to know the massively long number it's made from....
> 
> -----
> 
> I thought that the problem might have been the ddraw header file being out of date, so I downloaded the DirectX SDK, and installed it, and took the ddraw.h from there and threw it in the program source folder, and changed the #include <ddraw.h> to #include "ddraw.h" - And, well, DDSURFACEDESC2 exists now, so I commented out mine, but it still won't link, still giving that error about _DirectDrawCreate@12. :/
> 
> I tried implib /system, too, by the way, and didn't notice any difference. Also tried running implib on a ddraw.def I got from http://programming.ccp14.ac.uk/ftp-mirror/programming/mingw32/home/janjaap/mingw32/platform-SDK/def/ddraw.def (found via google), which didn't solve the linking problem either.
> 
> (I managed to get it to link by hex-editing the .lib to say _irectDrawCreate, and changing the function name in the ddraw.h and the source files which use it to irectDrawCreate (no D), but of course, the program won't run. :P)
> 
> I suppose the question I should be asking is "How do I make DM stop adding that _ before the function name and the @12 after the function name, because the .dll and the .lib don't have it?"
> 
> Oh, P.S. I tried fiddling with the declaration of DirectDrawCreate in ddraw.h (changing it from WINAMP to __cdecl, __stdcall, FAR PASCAL, etc, but it didn't help. What? I was desparate!).
> 
> (I also tried searching old posts here, now that I have mozilla set up to read from the news-server, but I didn't find much except something that indicated that someone might have to send me a ddraw.lib to fix the problem, since apparently implib doesn't work on 100% of DLLs or something? (It seemed to work fine on all the other (system) DLLs I used it on, and I didn't use /system... Oh well.)

-- 
ManiaC++
Jan Knepper

March 06, 2004
Jan Knepper wrote:

> Also... Trying to search for direct draw, ddraw or DirectX might help...
> http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp-a=sp1000ce79&sp-f=iso-8859-1&sp-q=directx 

Haven't heard of atomz before, but I spent about 3 hours googling and trying to figure this out.

Jan Knepper wrote:

> Which IMPLIB did you use?

SL wrote:

> using implib (Digital Mars Import Library Manager Version 7.6B1n)

I also tried (after making that post) VCPP6SE's 'link /lib /convert ddraw.lib' on the VCPP6SE version of ddraw.lib, followed by 'coff2omf' (From Borland C++ 5.5, since I didn't see the DM version for download anywhere) - The resulting lib file was about 2 KB (The ones made by implib were 4 KB when I imported from the ddraw.def which I mentioned and 4.5 KB when I imported from ddraw.dll), and didn't work any better than the others (i.e. I got the same error message from the linker after I tried it).
March 06, 2004
Try this and see what it does for you.
http://www.digitalmars.com/~jan/
There have been others in the past that worked with DirectX/Direct Draw and got it working.

SL wrote:
> Jan Knepper wrote:
> 
>> Also... Trying to search for direct draw, ddraw or DirectX might help...
>> http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp-a=sp1000ce79&sp-f=iso-8859-1&sp-q=directx 
> 
> 
> 
> Haven't heard of atomz before, but I spent about 3 hours googling and trying to figure this out.
> 
> Jan Knepper wrote:
> 
>  > Which IMPLIB did you use?
> 
> SL wrote:
> 
>  > using implib (Digital Mars Import Library Manager Version 7.6B1n)
> 
> I also tried (after making that post) VCPP6SE's 'link /lib /convert ddraw.lib' on the VCPP6SE version of ddraw.lib, followed by 'coff2omf' (From Borland C++ 5.5, since I didn't see the DM version for download anywhere) - The resulting lib file was about 2 KB (The ones made by implib were 4 KB when I imported from the ddraw.def which I mentioned and 4.5 KB when I imported from ddraw.dll), and didn't work any better than the others (i.e. I got the same error message from the linker after I tried it).

-- 
ManiaC++
Jan Knepper

March 08, 2004
Yes I did a fair while ago, in fact I believe I
had the same problem, and when I posted on
this group my problem was solved, by some
good soul who sent me two LIB's, that he created.

I beleive Nic Tiger was his name.
I dont know that I have permission to pass these
on though.

what can I do?

Phill.

"Jan Knepper" <jan@smartsoft.us> wrote in message news:c2cuf7$fh0$1@digitaldaemon.com...
> Try this and see what it does for you.
> http://www.digitalmars.com/~jan/
> There have been others in the past that worked with DirectX/Direct Draw
> and got it working.
>
>
>
> SL wrote:
> > Jan Knepper wrote:
> >
> >> Also... Trying to search for direct draw, ddraw or DirectX might
help...
> >>
http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp-a=sp1000ce79&sp-f=iso-8859-1&sp-q=directx
> >
> >
> >
> > Haven't heard of atomz before, but I spent about 3 hours googling and trying to figure this out.
> >
> > Jan Knepper wrote:
> >
> >  > Which IMPLIB did you use?
> >
> > SL wrote:
> >
> >  > using implib (Digital Mars Import Library Manager Version 7.6B1n)
> >
> > I also tried (after making that post) VCPP6SE's 'link /lib /convert ddraw.lib' on the VCPP6SE version of ddraw.lib, followed by 'coff2omf' (From Borland C++ 5.5, since I didn't see the DM version for download anywhere) - The resulting lib file was about 2 KB (The ones made by implib were 4 KB when I imported from the ddraw.def which I mentioned and 4.5 KB when I imported from ddraw.dll), and didn't work any better than the others (i.e. I got the same error message from the linker after I tried it).
>
>
> --
> ManiaC++
> Jan Knepper
>
> But as for me and my household, we shall use Mozilla... www.mozilla.org

March 08, 2004
Phill wrote:

> Yes I did a fair while ago, in fact I believe I
> had the same problem, and when I posted on
> this group my problem was solved, by some
> good soul who sent me two LIB's, that he created.
> 
> I beleive Nic Tiger was his name.
> I dont know that I have permission to pass these
> on though.
> 
> what can I do?

Ask Nic Tiger... ;-)

-- 
ManiaC++
Jan Knepper

March 08, 2004
SL, mail me as I may be able to assist.

Regards,
Phil

SL wrote:

> Jan Knepper wrote:
> 
>> Also... Trying to search for direct draw, ddraw or DirectX might help...
>> http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp-a=sp1000ce79&sp-f=iso-8859-1&sp-q=directx 
> 
> 
> 
> Haven't heard of atomz before, but I spent about 3 hours googling and trying to figure this out.
> 
> Jan Knepper wrote:
> 
>  > Which IMPLIB did you use?
> 
> SL wrote:
> 
>  > using implib (Digital Mars Import Library Manager Version 7.6B1n)
> 
> I also tried (after making that post) VCPP6SE's 'link /lib /convert ddraw.lib' on the VCPP6SE version of ddraw.lib, followed by 'coff2omf' (From Borland C++ 5.5, since I didn't see the DM version for download anywhere) - The resulting lib file was about 2 KB (The ones made by implib were 4 KB when I imported from the ddraw.def which I mentioned and 4.5 KB when I imported from ddraw.dll), and didn't work any better than the others (i.e. I got the same error message from the linker after I tried it).