September 11, 2005
Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
> "David L. Davis" <SpottedTiger@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:dfv1bh$2cob$1@digitaldaemon.com...
> 
>>Opps! Replace "suffix" with "postfix"...darn it!
> 
> Actually, you got it right the first time - a suffix is something tacked on to the end.  A prefix is tacked on to the beginning.  And postfix.. I don't think it's a noun ;) 
> 

Out of curiousity, I checked with a dictionary, and it has postfix listed, as a synonym to suffix...  Not really surprising, postposition is a word (compliment to preposition) so why shouldn't postfix be?  :)

-- Chris Sauls
September 12, 2005
John Reimer wrote:
> David L. Davis wrote:
>> Opps! Replace "suffix" with "postfix"...darn it! I've always had
>> this problem with right-hand-side, left-hand-side...it really
>> caused me a lot of trouble during these quick marching practices I
>> had to do back when I was in the U.S. Army. I had to slightly
>> giggle my right hand to keep myself straight, man was that a chore!
>> <g> David L.
> 
> I hear you, David.  I've always had the same problem.  In latter
> years it hasn't been so bad as when I was young.
> 
> My method of determining which hand has always been to flick the fingers.  That technique goes back to when I used to play a game (Canadian origin, I think) called Crokinole.  You had to flick round
>  plastic (or wood) pieces across a plywood board.  I am
> right-handed... so that helped me determine that hand. :-)
> 
> Now and again, when I'm wasted, I still forget right and left. I
> guess we're all burdened with some handicap, whether it be physical
> or abstract.  :-P

Very interesting. When I was doing my driving license exam, the inspector kept on babbling and asking things. I was busy driving by the book. Then he told me to turn left and I turned right. He got suspicious that I was avoiding a particular difficult crossing down the block.

Heh, I told him my mother tongue is not Finnish, it's Swedish. (Which was a lie, of course.)

Even today if I'm driving and somebody quickly tells me to turn either way, I probably turn the opposite way.

What really interests me is that I've never had any other problems related to this. (Like driving on the wrong lane, not knowing which hand to use for things, or operating complicated machinery.)
September 12, 2005
In article <43258ECF.8030305@nospam.org>, Georg Wrede says...
>
>John Reimer wrote:
>> David L. Davis wrote:
>>> Opps! Replace "suffix" with "postfix"...darn it! I've always had this problem with right-hand-side, left-hand-side...it really caused me a lot of trouble during these quick marching practices I had to do back when I was in the U.S. Army. I had to slightly giggle my right hand to keep myself straight, man was that a chore! <g> David L.
>> 
>> I hear you, David.  I've always had the same problem.  In latter years it hasn't been so bad as when I was young.
>> 
>> My method of determining which hand has always been to flick the
>> fingers.  That technique goes back to when I used to play a game
>> (Canadian origin, I think) called Crokinole.  You had to flick round
>>  plastic (or wood) pieces across a plywood board.  I am
>> right-handed... so that helped me determine that hand. :-)
>> 
>> Now and again, when I'm wasted, I still forget right and left. I guess we're all burdened with some handicap, whether it be physical or abstract.  :-P
>
>Very interesting. When I was doing my driving license exam, the inspector kept on babbling and asking things. I was busy driving by the book. Then he told me to turn left and I turned right. He got suspicious that I was avoiding a particular difficult crossing down the block.
>
>Heh, I told him my mother tongue is not Finnish, it's Swedish. (Which was a lie, of course.)
>
>Even today if I'm driving and somebody quickly tells me to turn either way, I probably turn the opposite way.
>
>What really interests me is that I've never had any other problems related to this. (Like driving on the wrong lane, not knowing which hand to use for things, or operating complicated machinery.)

My wife has this problem too.  Typically, its only when she's preoccupied with something.  I used to try and remind her that "right is the hand you write with", but it never really stuck (not for any lack of trying).  Now that we've been together for a while, I can now pick up on when she's most likely to juxtapose the two... and I instinctively tell her the wrong (right) direction. ;)

There's just something about this kind of thing that is terribly hard to unlearn, but its not at all uncommon.

- EricAnderton at yahoo
September 13, 2005
In article <dg47jj$1tad$1@digitaldaemon.com>, pragma says...
>
>In article <43258ECF.8030305@nospam.org>, Georg Wrede says...
>>
>>John Reimer wrote:
>>> David L. Davis wrote:
>>>> Opps! Replace "suffix" with "postfix"...darn it! I've always had this problem with right-hand-side, left-hand-side...it really caused me a lot of trouble during these quick marching practices I had to do back when I was in the U.S. Army. I had to slightly giggle my right hand to keep myself straight, man was that a chore! <g> David L.
>>> 
>>> I hear you, David.  I've always had the same problem.  In latter years it hasn't been so bad as when I was young.
>>> 
>>> My method of determining which hand has always been to flick the
>>> fingers.  That technique goes back to when I used to play a game
>>> (Canadian origin, I think) called Crokinole.  You had to flick round
>>>  plastic (or wood) pieces across a plywood board.  I am
>>> right-handed... so that helped me determine that hand. :-)
>>> 
>>> Now and again, when I'm wasted, I still forget right and left. I guess we're all burdened with some handicap, whether it be physical or abstract.  :-P
>>
>>Very interesting. When I was doing my driving license exam, the inspector kept on babbling and asking things. I was busy driving by the book. Then he told me to turn left and I turned right. He got suspicious that I was avoiding a particular difficult crossing down the block.
>>
>>Heh, I told him my mother tongue is not Finnish, it's Swedish. (Which was a lie, of course.)
>>
>>Even today if I'm driving and somebody quickly tells me to turn either way, I probably turn the opposite way.
>>
>>What really interests me is that I've never had any other problems related to this. (Like driving on the wrong lane, not knowing which hand to use for things, or operating complicated machinery.)
>
>My wife has this problem too.  Typically, its only when she's preoccupied with something.  I used to try and remind her that "right is the hand you write with", but it never really stuck (not for any lack of trying).  Now that we've been together for a while, I can now pick up on when she's most likely to juxtapose the two... and I instinctively tell her the wrong (right) direction. ;)
>
>There's just something about this kind of thing that is terribly hard to unlearn, but its not at all uncommon.
>
>- EricAnderton at yahoo

I have never met anyone with the handicap, but I have heard that it is possible to loose the ability to understand right (or left) while still being able to understand the other side. (Look up the book "The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat")

September 13, 2005

BCS wrote:
> In article <dg47jj$1tad$1@digitaldaemon.com>, pragma says...
> 
>>In article <43258ECF.8030305@nospam.org>, Georg Wrede says...
>>
>>>John Reimer wrote:
>>>
>>>>David L. Davis wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>Opps! Replace "suffix" with "postfix"...darn it! I've always had
>>>>>this problem with right-hand-side, left-hand-side...it really
>>>>>caused me a lot of trouble during these quick marching practices I
>>>>>had to do back when I was in the U.S. Army. I had to slightly
>>>>>giggle my right hand to keep myself straight, man was that a chore!
>>>>><g> David L.
>>>>
>>>>I hear you, David.  I've always had the same problem.  In latter
>>>>years it hasn't been so bad as when I was young.
>>>>
>>>>My method of determining which hand has always been to flick the fingers.  That technique goes back to when I used to play a game (Canadian origin, I think) called Crokinole.  You had to flick round
>>>> plastic (or wood) pieces across a plywood board.  I am
>>>>right-handed... so that helped me determine that hand. :-)
>>>>
>>>>Now and again, when I'm wasted, I still forget right and left. I
>>>>guess we're all burdened with some handicap, whether it be physical
>>>>or abstract.  :-P
>>>
>>>Very interesting. When I was doing my driving license exam, the inspector kept on babbling and asking things. I was busy driving by the book. Then he told me to turn left and I turned right. He got suspicious that I was avoiding a particular difficult crossing down the block.
>>>
>>>Heh, I told him my mother tongue is not Finnish, it's Swedish. (Which was a lie, of course.)
>>>
>>>Even today if I'm driving and somebody quickly tells me to turn either way, I probably turn the opposite way.
>>>
>>>What really interests me is that I've never had any other problems related to this. (Like driving on the wrong lane, not knowing which hand to use for things, or operating complicated machinery.)
>>
>>My wife has this problem too.  Typically, its only when she's preoccupied with
>>something.  I used to try and remind her that "right is the hand you write
>>with", but it never really stuck (not for any lack of trying).  Now that we've
>>been together for a while, I can now pick up on when she's most likely to
>>juxtapose the two... and I instinctively tell her the wrong (right) direction.
>>;)
>>
>>There's just something about this kind of thing that is terribly hard to
>>unlearn, but its not at all uncommon.
>>
>>- EricAnderton at yahoo
> 
> 
> 
> I have never met anyone with the handicap, but I have heard that it is possible
> to loose the ability to understand right (or left) while still being able to
> understand the other side. (Look up the book "The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a
> Hat")

Yeah, well, I could tell you all about how my ex wife mistook me for a loser. ;-(

Anyhow, this is totally separate from the Hat issue. (I've read the book.)
1 2
Next ›   Last »