July 27, 2006
Jan Knepper wrote:
> Yeah... that's because there as some issue's running the 32 bits executable on a 64 bits operating system.
> Trying to figure those out...
> 
> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Undefined symbol "cerr" referenced from COPY relocation in <executable>
> 
> It has to do with the <executable> being linked against the dynamic libraries... If it would be static this would not be a problem. However... I do not have the sources... <sigh>
> 
> Jan

Since "500 Internal Server Error" could be showing up for a long time, perhaps the URLs that start with "http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews" should redirect to a simple page mentioning that the problem is being worked on, but in the meantime people will need to use an actual newsreader and offer a link to http://www.digitalmars.com/NewsGroup.html.

(I don't really know how the how the web interface works. But I suppose if running it on a 32-bit machine were an option, you would've already done that.)

For those that are truly desperate for news about D but lack newsgroup access, recent D-related posts can be viewed from http://lists.puremagic.com/mailman/listinfo.

-- 
jcc7
July 28, 2006
Working on a replacement of that system. There are several web based systems out there. It just a matter of finding one that fits. The newsguy stuff was great and it was free.

Thanks!
Jan

Justin C Calvarese wrote:
> Jan Knepper wrote:
>> Yeah... that's because there as some issue's running the 32 bits executable on a 64 bits operating system.
>> Trying to figure those out...
>>
>> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Undefined symbol "cerr" referenced from COPY relocation in <executable>
>>
>> It has to do with the <executable> being linked against the dynamic libraries... If it would be static this would not be a problem. However... I do not have the sources... <sigh>
>>
>> Jan
> 
> Since "500 Internal Server Error" could be showing up for a long time, perhaps the URLs that start with "http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews" should redirect to a simple page mentioning that the problem is being worked on, but in the meantime people will need to use an actual newsreader and offer a link to http://www.digitalmars.com/NewsGroup.html.
> 
> (I don't really know how the how the web interface works. But I suppose if running it on a 32-bit machine were an option, you would've already done that.)
> 
> For those that are truly desperate for news about D but lack newsgroup access, recent D-related posts can be viewed from http://lists.puremagic.com/mailman/listinfo.
> 

-- 
ManiaC++
Jan Knepper

But as for me and my household, we shall use Mozilla...
www.mozilla.org
July 28, 2006
On 2006-07-22 12:52:07 -0700, Jan Knepper <jan@smartsoft.us> said:

> All,
> 
> The newsgroups (actually digitalmars.com) has moved to a new server with much more processor power Dual Opteron 2.0 Ghz, with 8 times as much RAM and about 8 times as much disk space). Overall this should result in an 8*+ or so improvement.
> 
> Unfortunately there were some issue's getting all the news articles moved over. It should be fine now and posting should work again as well. However, the articles might all show as un-read when you reconnect to news.digitalmars.com. (They did for me in Thunderbird www.mozilla.org/thunderbird/). I am not sure that there is anything I could do to prevent this at this moment.
> 
> Let me know if there are any problems.
> 
> Thanks!
> Jan

It seems this broke www news :(  I can't goof off at work now! :(

August 01, 2006
"Jan Knepper" <jan@smartsoft.us> wrote in message news:e9tvl9$km5$1@opteron.digitaldaemon.com...
> All,

> The newsgroups (actually digitalmars.com) has moved to a new server with much more processor power Dual Opteron 2.0 Ghz, with 8 times as much RAM and about 8 times as much disk space). Overall this should result in an 8*+ or so improvement.

> Unfortunately there were some issue's getting all the news articles moved over. It should be fine now and posting should work again as well. However, the articles might all show as un-read when you reconnect to news.digitalmars.com. (They did for me in Thunderbird www.mozilla.org/thunderbird/). I am not sure that there is anything I could do to prevent this at this moment.

> Let me know if there are any problems.
>
> Thanks!
> Jan

No thank you! with the transfer you've managed to squash that article numbering bug that left an unread article count even after all articles had been read in the groups, finally it tells the truth. None of the problem you mention with thunderbird are experienced in OE 5.5SP2... was nice to watch the unread count drop to zero just by selecting the newsgroup on the in-active newsgroups for a change:-)

August 02, 2006
TK wrote:
> No thank you! with the transfer you've managed to squash that article
> numbering bug that left an unread article count even after all articles had
> been read in the groups, finally it tells the truth. None of the problem you
> mention with thunderbird are experienced in OE 5.5SP2... was nice to watch
> the unread count drop to zero just by selecting the newsgroup on the
> in-active newsgroups for a change:-)

The problems in Thunderbird (if any) are because I hit the server in between (before I fixed that numbering problem) I think.
It can be easily solved by stopping Thunderbird, removing the files from disk and restarting Thunderbird and downloading the articles again. NP to do that with Thunderbird.

Jan

-- 
ManiaC++
Jan Knepper

But as for me and my household, we shall use Mozilla...
www.mozilla.org
September 01, 2006
Hello,

This webpage is nice, but it looks worse than the old forums (which are no longer functional). One cannot view the postings grouped by thread, and cannot use the mouse to select & copy the text from postings.

I wanted to kindly ask you to fix these issues, if you have the time...

Thanks,
Adder
September 28, 2006
Jan,

is there any way that I can set setting on the reply screen?  It's tough to keep typing the email and name all the time.

thanks.

josé
1 2
Next ›   Last »