Charles D Hixson
Nov 28, 2006
Derek Parnell
Fortran -- Re: Help
Dec 01, 2006
Kevin G. Rhoads
November 27, 2006
Hello,

I started on an IBM 360/G50 in 1974, at the age of 24.  What I would like to know is if there is a FORTRAN compiler that can be used on a PC and not cost my life?

Thank you,

Walter

Please advise via email autocrater@netscape.net
November 28, 2006
Walter escribió:
> Hello,
> 
> I started on an IBM 360/G50 in 1974, at the age of 24.  What I would like to know
> is if there is a FORTRAN compiler that can be used on a PC and not cost my life?
> 
> Thank you,
> 
> Walter
> 
> Please advise via email autocrater@netscape.net

I don't know if this truly is the best newsgroup for this, but anyway...

If you mean for Windows, have you tried Salford? http://www.salfordsoftware.co.uk/software/downloads/compilers.html

-- 
Carlos Santander Bernal
November 28, 2006
Walter wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> I started on an IBM 360/G50 in 1974, at the age of 24.  What I would like to know
> is if there is a FORTRAN compiler that can be used on a PC and not cost my life?

Is this to compile an old version of Empire that was written in Fortran?

> Thank you,
> 
> Walter

I'm guessing you're a different Walter from the one who normally posts here, judging by that email address....

Welcome to newsgroups.  A few commonly accepted rules of the road are:

(a) Don't ask for replies by email.  The whole point of newsgroups is for everybody to share information and advice.

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/mail-responses.html

(b) Make subject lines say something specific, rather than simply "Help".

See also

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/dont.html

OK, so I suppose this isn't Usenet as such, but some of the reasons for the rules given apply just as well here.

Stewart.

-- 
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCS/M d- s:-@ C++@ a->--- UB@ P+ L E@ W++@ N+++ o K-@ w++@ O? M V? PS- PE- Y? PGP- t- 5? X? R b DI? D G e++++ h-- r-- !y
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox.  Please keep replies on the 'group where everyone may benefit.
November 28, 2006
Walter wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> 
> Thank you,
> 
> Walter
> 

Have you considered gcc?
Even if you're on MSWind there are ways of installing gcc (which can include g77...a Fortran 77 compiler).

If you're on MSWind, you might check out CygWin.
November 28, 2006
On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 23:24:28 +0000 (UTC), Walter wrote:

> Hello,
> 
> I started on an IBM 360/G50 in 1974, at the age of 24.  What I would like to know is if there is a FORTRAN compiler that can be used on a PC and not cost my life?
> 
> Thank you,
> 
> Walter
> 

"Google is your friend" - don't for get that ;-)

I searched for "free fortran compiler for windows pc" and got many useful links - too many to list here. Try it for yourself.

BTW, I started on an IBM 360/25 in 1973 at the age of 19.

-- 
Derek
(skype: derek.j.parnell)
Melbourne, Australia
"Down with mediocrity!"
28/11/2006 12:12:50 PM
December 01, 2006
>> I started on an IBM 360/G50 in 1974, at the age of 24.  What I would like to know is if there is a FORTRAN compiler that can be used on a PC and not cost my life?
>> 
>BTW, I started on an IBM 360/25 in 1973 at the age of 19.

CDC 6400, PDP-8i, IBM 360/50 -- 1967 at the age of 16.  Fortran, COBOL & assember on the big iron, assembler only on the PDP-8.

For F77 only capability, OpenWatcom is good.  G77 is fairly mature also. Also, for F77 only support, F2C and any decent C compiler ( ;-] )

G95 & GFortran (don't ask why there are two) if you want recent Fortran
support.
IVF (Intel Visual Fortran) is available free on Linux for hobby use.

OR there is always Hercules, and OS/360 & Fortran G are available.  Emulating
a 360/65 on a P4 was about 100 times as fast (and no 026's or 029's to deal with).

This is in addition to what people have already posted on other compilers.

HTH
Kevin