April 28, 2007
John Demme wrote:
> Brad Roberts wrote:
> 
>> It's been way too long since my last update on the D conference front.
>> I've procured the space, cajoled a few people into speaking, and put
>> together a quick website:
>>
>>      http://d.puremagic.com/conference2007/
>>
>> If you will be attending, please click on the registration link.  There
>> isn't an entrance fee or anything like that, but I do need to get a
>> fairly accurate count of who will be attending.
>>
>> I'm looking forward to seeing you all there.. mark your calendars,
>> August 23 and 24, 2007.
>>
>> Later,
>> Brad
> 
> Sounds like a lot of fun.  When would you want to know by?  Also, when would
> you post the activity schedule? It'd be nice to know exactly when things
> are happening to know which nights to stay and when to fly in/out.
> 
> It's a non-trivial amount of money and time for a broke, overworked college
> student like myself, but I might be able to pull it off.  Put me down for a
> definite maybe!

I'd rather have a bunch of tentatives that need to back out later than under-estimate the number of people showing up.  There's a number of different conference rooms and I need to make sure I've reserved the right ones so that we have enough space.

As to the schedule, I'm still trying to line up a few more speakers. For the most part, I've been assuming that anyone who can afford the time and cost of traveling will be attending both days.

What I can try to do is make the first day the broader and more introductory topics and the second day the more advanced topics.  I also hope to have some time where it can be just a general open Q&A forum / panel discussion.  Depending on the time and room availability, I intend to have a room for people to want to work on code (sorry, no computers provided, bring a laptop) and get help from a willing volunteer.

Later,
Brad

April 28, 2007
Clay Smith wrote:
> Brad Roberts wrote:
>> It's been way too long since my last update on the D conference front. I've procured the space, cajoled a few people into speaking, and put together a quick website:
>>
>>     http://d.puremagic.com/conference2007/
>>
>> If you will be attending, please click on the registration link.  There isn't an entrance fee or anything like that, but I do need to get a fairly accurate count of who will be attending.
>>
>> I'm looking forward to seeing you all there.. mark your calendars, August 23 and 24, 2007.
>>
>> Later,
>> Brad
> 
> If all goes well and my car doesn't die on me, this summer I'm planning on taking a long road trip.
> 
> MN --> Colorado --> California --> Seattle --> MN
> 
> If I don't know 100%, should I still sign up?
> 
> ~ Clay

Yes.  See my post from must a moment ago for more details. :)
April 30, 2007
Derek Parnell wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 20:40:57 -0700, Brad Roberts wrote:
> 
>> It's been way too long since my last update on the D conference front. I've procured the space, cajoled a few people into speaking, and put together a quick website:
>>
>>      http://d.puremagic.com/conference2007/
>>
>> If you will be attending, please click on the registration link.  There isn't an entrance fee or anything like that, but I do need to get a fairly accurate count of who will be attending.
>>
>> I'm looking forward to seeing you all there.. mark your calendars, August 23 and 24, 2007.
> 
> Sadly (very sadly) I cannot attend due to costs of getting there. There is
> no way I can go to the U.S. without my family wanting to also tag along <G>
> and that bumps the cost to at least $10,000USD. And as good as the
> conference will be, ... well you get the picture.

Unfortunately, it's the same for me.
April 30, 2007
I will be there.
Frank
April 30, 2007
Well, scratch that.  I'm out.

It seems my wife has a (tentative and yet to be announced) DJ gig at a convention in mid August.  It's much closer to here than Seattle, but it'll pretty much soak up any funds and leave needed to get to the D conference (or PAX for that matter).

-- 
- EricAnderton at yahoo
April 30, 2007
Pragma wrote:
> Clay Smith wrote:
> 
>> Brad Roberts wrote:
>>
>>> It's been way too long since my last update on the D conference front. I've procured the space, cajoled a few people into speaking, and put together a quick website:
>>>
>>>     http://d.puremagic.com/conference2007/
>>>
>>> If you will be attending, please click on the registration link.  There isn't an entrance fee or anything like that, but I do need to get a fairly accurate count of who will be attending.
>>>
>>> I'm looking forward to seeing you all there.. mark your calendars, August 23 and 24, 2007.
>>>
>>> Later,
>>> Brad
>>
>>
>> If all goes well and my car doesn't die on me, this summer I'm planning on taking a long road trip.
>>
>> MN --> Colorado --> California --> Seattle --> MN
>>
>> If I don't know 100%, should I still sign up?
>>
>> ~ Clay
> 
> 
> Well, there are certainly worse ways to get there.  I present to the DNG, for your reading pleasure, the Penny-Arcade Expo Cross-Country Supertrip schedule:
> 
> http://www.ccsupertrip.org/schedule.html
> 
> It takes all week, and you'll get there really late on the 23rd.  Just talk about how much you love Halo the whole time and nobody will suspect a thing.
> 

heh, so crazy it just might work.  I live in Ohio, so it swings by me, and I'm a gamer so this PAX thing sounds like it would be very cool. While I was thinking "damn, D-con is too expensive", perhaps this could change that into a week of awesomeness or something.  It also just so happens to fall shortly after my summer quarter classes, and before my fall classes, like it is conspiring to work or something.

Now then, hotels are just soooo expensive, so, will D-con have public showers? ;)  jk of course, but I would need a place to crash and shower... one that doesn't cost $80 a night...
April 30, 2007
Chad J wrote:
>
> Now then, hotels are just soooo expensive, so, will D-con have public showers? ;)  jk of course, but I would need a place to crash and shower... one that doesn't cost $80 a night...

Random thought: Is anyone thinking of going dutch for hotel rooms?
May 01, 2007
Brad Roberts wrote:
> It's been way too long since my last update on the D conference front. I've procured the space, cajoled a few people into speaking, and put together a quick website:
> 
>     http://d.puremagic.com/conference2007/
> 
> If you will be attending, please click on the registration link.  There isn't an entrance fee or anything like that, but I do need to get a fairly accurate count of who will be attending.
> 
> I'm looking forward to seeing you all there.. mark your calendars, August 23 and 24, 2007.

Is there going to be any kind of podcasting or live video option for those that can't make it in person?  It would also be cool if there were like a remote-email-question-submission thingy available for Q&A.  After all, the D community is quite global, so why not try to make the conference global too?

Dave
May 01, 2007
David B. Held wrote:
> Brad Roberts wrote:
> 
>>
>>     http://d.puremagic.com/conference2007/
>>
>>
> 
> 
> Is there going to be any kind of podcasting or live video option for those that can't make it in person?  It would also be cool if there were like a remote-email-question-submission thingy available for Q&A.  After all, the D community is quite global, so why not try to make the conference global too?
> 
> Dave

How about a special newsgroup:
 "Post your questions, we'll ask the speaker!"
May 01, 2007
BCS wrote:
> David B. Held wrote:
>> Brad Roberts wrote:
>>
>>>     http://d.puremagic.com/conference2007/
>>>
>>> If you will be attending, please click on the registration link.  There isn't an entrance fee or anything like that, but I do need to get a fairly accurate count of who will be attending.
>>>
>>> I'm looking forward to seeing you all there.. mark your calendars, August 23 and 24, 2007.
>>
>> Is there going to be any kind of podcasting or live video option for those that can't make it in person?  It would also be cool if there were like a remote-email-question-submission thingy available for Q&A.  After all, the D community is quite global, so why not try to make the conference global too?
> 
> How about a special newsgroup:
>  "Post your questions, we'll ask the speaker!"

If the organisers were smart, they'd announce no podcasting. Such announcements only tend to reduce the number of participants. ("Hey, why would I pay too much for the trip when I can view the stuff on my screen the next day?" Not all, but some (especially the economically pressed, like students, smallest entrepreneurs, married folks, etc.) would choose to stay home. Bad for business. The possible podcasts would then appear as nice surprises to those who really couldn't come. (Besides, no use committing to something one can't guarantee to deliver.)

OTOH, the "Post your questions, we'll ask the speaker!" idea is just excellent!!