thread-ring benchmark
Dec 20, 2007
bearophile
Dec 20, 2007
bearophile
Dec 20, 2007
Alan Knowles
December 20, 2007
This is the D thread-ring benchmark on the Shootout site: http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?test=threadring&lang=dlang&id=0

For me on DMD 1.024 on Win it works, but it doesn't work on the site (it gives: Error: Thread error: failed to start), maybe it's a thread problem on Linux, so it may be a Phobos bug.

This is my shortened & simplified version, it uses a static array local to the main() (indent reduced to just 2 spaces):

// The Computer Language Benchmarks Game
// http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/
// contributed by Alexander Suhoverhov
// Modified by bearophile

import std.thread: Thread;
import std.conv: toInt;

int n;
bool finished = false;

class MessageThread: Thread {
  MessageThread next;
  int message, name;

int run() {
    while (true) {
      while (!message && !finished)
        yield;

if (finished)
        return 0;

if (message == n) {
        finished = true;
        printf("%d\n", name);
        return 0;
      }

next.message = this.message + 1;
      this.message = 0;
    }
    return 0;
  }
}

void main(char[][] args) {
  const NUM_THREADS = 503;
  MessageThread[NUM_THREADS] ring;

n = args.length == 2 ? toInt(args[1]) : 100_000;

foreach(i, ref mt; ring)
    mt = new MessageThread;

foreach(i, mt; ring) {
    mt.name = i + 1;
    mt.next = ring[(i + 1) % ring.length];
    mt.start;
  }

ring[0].message = 1;

foreach(mt; ring)
    mt.wait;
}

The good thing is that it on my PC it runs faster than the Java6 version (the given n is 10 millions).
The bad thing is that it doesn't print 361 (but probably one less, 360), so if you spot the problem you can suggest it.
Note that the Java version doesn't use global variables like n and finished. There is a simple way to avoid the need of finished, using std.c.stdlib.exit, but the code requires more time to run.
Note that  the Haskell version (that uses light threads) works in about 1/10 of the time... (The Erlang/Oz versions too are fast) so maybe the D threading of Phobos may become quite faster in the future, using similar "threads".

Bye,
bearophile
December 20, 2007
"bearophile" <bearophileHUGS@lycos.com> wrote in message news:fkekj6$iq2$1@digitalmars.com...

> Note that  the Haskell version (that uses light threads) works in about 1/10 of the time... (The Erlang/Oz versions too are fast) so maybe the D threading of Phobos may become quite faster in the future, using similar "threads".

You mean fibers, like Tango has had for months?

Hmm.

December 20, 2007
Jarrett Billingsley:
> You mean fibers, like Tango has had for months?
> Hmm.

I haven't used Tango yet, but I have seen those fibers a bit.
Regarding the Shootout site, I can't post the code there until those two problems are solved.
Regarding Tango on the Shootout site, I don't know if those site managers allow to use Tango lib too. (If you want you can adapt the code for using Tango fibers).
(When I have more experience with D I'd like to help Tango development a bit).

Bye,
bearophile
December 20, 2007
try googling for "thread-limit.c proc"

There are a few /proc settings that enable more threads to be run, (basically you are running out of resources, and Phobos is hiding the real error - you need the error return from thread_start.)

I have got it up to quite a high number of threads.

However !!IMPORTANT!! - this is a horrible example on how to use threads, and for beginners it will confuse them horribly.

If you do make this code public anywhere, please put a note in it
"NEVER USE THREADS LIKE THIS!" - threads are intended to be used in pools, and re-used, if you write your application like this, it will ALWAYS crash eventually, whatever you do...

(As you may have guessed - I got caught by that one...)

Regards
Alan

bearophile wrote:
> This is the D thread-ring benchmark on the Shootout site:
> http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?test=threadring&lang=dlang&id=0
> 
> For me on DMD 1.024 on Win it works, but it doesn't work on the site (it gives: Error: Thread error: failed to start), maybe it's a thread problem on Linux, so it may be a Phobos bug.
> 
> This is my shortened & simplified version, it uses a static array local to the main() (indent reduced to just 2 spaces):
> 
> // The Computer Language Benchmarks Game
> // http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/
> // contributed by Alexander Suhoverhov
> // Modified by bearophile
> 
> import std.thread: Thread;
> import std.conv: toInt;
> 
> int n;
> bool finished = false;
> 
> class MessageThread: Thread {
>   MessageThread next;
>   int message, name;
> 
>   int run() {
>     while (true) {
>       while (!message && !finished)
>         yield;
> 
>       if (finished)
>         return 0;
> 
>       if (message == n) {
>         finished = true;
>         printf("%d\n", name);
>         return 0;
>       }
> 
>       next.message = this.message + 1;
>       this.message = 0;
>     }
>     return 0;
>   }
> }
> 
> void main(char[][] args) {
>   const NUM_THREADS = 503;
>   MessageThread[NUM_THREADS] ring;
> 
>   n = args.length == 2 ? toInt(args[1]) : 100_000;
> 
>   foreach(i, ref mt; ring)
>     mt = new MessageThread;
> 
>   foreach(i, mt; ring) {
>     mt.name = i + 1;
>     mt.next = ring[(i + 1) % ring.length];
>     mt.start;
>   }
> 
>   ring[0].message = 1;
> 
>   foreach(mt; ring)
>     mt.wait;
> }
> 
> 
> The good thing is that it on my PC it runs faster than the Java6 version (the given n is 10 millions).
> The bad thing is that it doesn't print 361 (but probably one less, 360), so if you spot the problem you can suggest it.
> Note that the Java version doesn't use global variables like n and finished. There is a simple way to avoid the need of finished, using std.c.stdlib.exit, but the code requires more time to run.
> Note that  the Haskell version (that uses light threads) works in about 1/10 of the time... (The Erlang/Oz versions too are fast) so maybe the D threading of Phobos may become quite faster in the future, using similar "threads".
> 
> Bye,
> bearophile