Thread overview
[dmd-internals] DIP75 - Release process 'preapproved'
Jun 29, 2016
Mathias Lang
Jul 08, 2016
Martin Nowak
June 29, 2016
Hi all,

As the topic of DIP is pretty hot at the moment, I was looking at DIP75 which has been preapproved (and successfully used) since one year (2.068).

This raises a couple of questions:
- Was the experiment successful, and can we mark it as approved ?
- Does it need to be extended (either in functionality or just phrasing of the DIP itself) ?
- Can we move it somewhere a little more visible, and if yes where ?

Regards,

M.L.
June 29, 2016
On 06/29/2016 09:12 PM, Mathias Lang via dmd-internals wrote:
> Hi all,
> 
> As the topic of DIP is pretty hot at the moment, I was looking at DIP75
> which has been preapproved (and successfully used) since one year (2.068).
> 
> This raises a couple of questions:
> - Was the experiment successful, and can we mark it as approved ?
> - Does it need to be extended (either in functionality or just phrasing
> of the DIP itself) ?
> - Can we move it somewhere a little more visible, and if yes where ?
> 
> Regards,
> 
> M.L.

I'd mark it as approved/implemented (Martin did a great job!) but probably wait before publishing anything. We have been casually discussing the need of slightly more complicated versioning / release model to address different needs of growing user base and Martin may add another iteration for next 6 month milestone goal (don't belive me until Martin confirms it himself ;))

July 08, 2016
On 06/29/2016 08:59 PM, Михаил Страшун via dmd-internals wrote:
> I'd mark it as approved/implemented (Martin did a great job!) but probably wait before publishing anything. We have been casually discussing the need of slightly more complicated versioning / release model to address different needs of growing user base and Martin may add another iteration for next 6 month milestone goal (don't belive me until Martin confirms it himself ;))

Yes, that's the current release process. And I'd say it was major improvement even though we want to better address the LTS needs at some point. But that will get a new proposal.

-Martin