December 09, 2012
W dniu 2012-12-09 14:21, Maxim Fomin pisze:
> Are you actually asking to make Vladimir's wikisite accessible at wiki.dlang.org (or moving its database to mediawiki instance located at wiki.dlang.org)? Probably this is a good idea even assuming that the site is just almost empty - it can be incentive to participate in it.
When mediawiki would appear as wiki under dlang.org community section, that would make our work more purposeful. Most preferably under url wiki.dlang.org
As for moving instance or not, you should discuss it with Vladimir or someone else involved in hosting.
December 09, 2012
On Sunday, 9 December 2012 at 16:48:02 UTC, David Nadlinger wrote:
> On Sunday, 9 December 2012 at 13:21:26 UTC, Maxim Fomin wrote:
>> Are you actually asking to make Vladimir's wikisite accessible at wiki.dlang.org
>
> Update: It actually is reachable under wiki.dlang.org now.
>
> So, let's work on getting it ready on prime time, and then flip the switch, i.e. the dlang.org Wiki links.
>
> David

Well, this is unexpected. I remember there were requests for more official domain name like wiki.dlang.org but I do not remember announcement that this actually was done.

By the way, this a good opportunity for me to figure out last question regarding D community - who owns and admins dlang.org (I know how its content is generated)?
December 09, 2012
On Sunday, 9 December 2012 at 16:58:04 UTC, Mariusz Gliwiński wrote:
> W dniu 2012-12-09 14:21, Maxim Fomin pisze:
>> Are you actually asking to make Vladimir's wikisite accessible at wiki.dlang.org (or moving its database to mediawiki instance located at wiki.dlang.org)? Probably this is a good idea even assuming that the site is just almost empty - it can be incentive to participate in it.
> When mediawiki would appear as wiki under dlang.org community section, that would make our work more purposeful. Most preferably under url wiki.dlang.org
> As for moving instance or not, you should discuss it with Vladimir or someone else involved in hosting.

Agree, but I was not intended to move mediawiki setups: I found irrelevant whether mediawiki is hosted at dlang.org or at Vladimir's hosting until the site shows technical problems.
December 09, 2012
On Sunday, 9 December 2012 at 17:18:00 UTC, Maxim Fomin wrote:
> Agree, but I was not intended to move mediawiki setups: I found irrelevant whether mediawiki is hosted at dlang.org or at Vladimir's hosting until the site shows technical problems.

Just to be sure this is clear: Vladimir has generously agreed to host the wiki instance, just as he hosts forum.dlang.org right now.

David
December 09, 2012
On Sunday, December 09, 2012 13:12:48 David Nadlinger wrote:
> My idea here is that once we have officially decided that we want to go forward with the new wiki, everybody would just add their own favorite libraries there. Of course, we could already do this _now_ in theory, but I think the chance of this happening, even if it just takes five minutes, is small as long as the new wiki is nothing but a experiment somebody put up on his own domain.

So, basically it's the KDE 4 argument. If we don't move to it (or release it, in the case of KDE 4), no one will actually move their stuff to it, and we'll never get anywhere, but if we do, then what we have isn't good enough until they've actually moved their stuff to it. :)

Personally, I pretty much never use the wiki. I almost always forget that it even exists. So, I don't really care if there's a transition period where our official wiki is rather sparse. But if the links and page rankings generally go to the old wiki, it'll take a while for the new one to have that much traffic anyway, so having it be initially sparse isn't really a problem except for those who actually go to the wiki on a regular basis and would have some clue what is going on. Those who arrive at it via searching or go infrequently would be essentially unaffected.

- Jonathan M Davis
December 09, 2012
On 12/9/12 12:12 PM, Maxim Fomin wrote:
> On Sunday, 9 December 2012 at 16:48:02 UTC, David Nadlinger wrote:
>> On Sunday, 9 December 2012 at 13:21:26 UTC, Maxim Fomin wrote:
>>> Are you actually asking to make Vladimir's wikisite accessible at
>>> wiki.dlang.org
>>
>> Update: It actually is reachable under wiki.dlang.org now.
>>
>> So, let's work on getting it ready on prime time, and then flip the
>> switch, i.e. the dlang.org Wiki links.
>>
>> David
>
> Well, this is unexpected. I remember there were requests for more
> official domain name like wiki.dlang.org but I do not remember
> announcement that this actually was done.

Apologies, Walter and I discussed this a while ago with Vladimir and our hosting provider.

> By the way, this a good opportunity for me to figure out last question
> regarding D community - who owns and admins dlang.org (I know how its
> content is generated)?

Walter is the owner. I have some rights to push content as well. We have a private host provider and admin (not sure whether I can give the name).

Andrei
December 09, 2012
On Sunday, 9 December 2012 at 18:56:13 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> We have a private host provider and admin (not sure whether I can give the name).

Well, given that he is acknowledged at the bottom of digitalmars.com… ;)

David
1 2
Next ›   Last »