^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                   conventional sense

- the undefined behaviour is already there if the asserted constraints
       ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
       altered sense

are not valid."

August 05, 2014
On Tuesday, 5 August 2014 at 20:09:44 UTC, Ary Borenszweig wrote:
> By the way, most of the time in this list I hear "We could use this and that feature to allow better optimizations" and no optimizations are ever implemented. Look at all those @pure nosafe nothrow const that you have to put and yet you don't get any performance boost from that.

Hmm... I've never seen these annotations as a performance feature. They're there to help writing correct programs. If this allows some performance gains, great, but IMHO it's not their primary purpose.
August 05, 2014
On Tue, Aug 05, 2014 at 05:09:43PM -0300, Ary Borenszweig via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 8/5/14, 3:55 PM, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> >On Tue, Aug 05, 2014 at 11:18:46AM -0700, Jeremy Powers via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> 
> >Furthermore, I think Walter's idea to use asserts as a source of optimizer hints is a very powerful concept that may turn out to be a revolutionary feature in D.
> 
> LLVM already has it. It's not revolutionary:
> 
> http://llvm.org/docs/LangRef.html#llvm-assume-intrinsic

Even better, so there's precedent for this. Even if it's only exposed at the LLVM level, rather than the source language. Introducing this at the source language level (like proposed in D) is a good step forward IMO.

> By the way, I think Walter said "assert can be potentially used to make optimizations" not "Oh, I just had an idea! We could use assert to optimize code". I think the code already does this. Of course, we would have to look at the source code to find out...

If the code already does this, then what are we arguing about?

> By the way, most of the time in this list I hear "We could use this and that feature to allow better optimizations" and no optimizations are ever implemented. Look at all those @pure nosafe nothrow const that you have to put and yet you don't get any performance boost from that.

Automatic attribute inference is the way to go. More and more, I'm beginning to be convinced that manually-specified attributes are a dead end.

Having said that, though, I'm pretty sure the compiler could (and should) do more with pure/nothrow/const, etc.. I think it may already be taking advantage of nothrow/const (nothrow elides throw/catch scaffolding, e.g., which could be important in high-performance inner loops). With pure the current situation could be improved, since it currently only has effect when you call the same pure function multiple times within a single expression. But there are lots more things that could be done with it, e.g., memoization across different statements in the function body.

PR's would be welcome. ;-)

T
-- 
What do you mean the Internet isn't filled with subliminal messages? What about all those buttons marked "submit"??
August 05, 2014
On 8/5/14, 5:26 PM, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 05, 2014 at 05:09:43PM -0300, Ary Borenszweig via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On 8/5/14, 3:55 PM, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>> On Tue, Aug 05, 2014 at 11:18:46AM -0700, Jeremy Powers via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>
>>> Furthermore, I think Walter's idea to use asserts as a source of
>>> optimizer hints is a very powerful concept that may turn out to be a
>>> revolutionary feature in D.
>>
>> LLVM already has it. It's not revolutionary:
>>
>> http://llvm.org/docs/LangRef.html#llvm-assume-intrinsic
>
> Even better, so there's precedent for this. Even if it's only exposed at
> the LLVM level, rather than the source language. Introducing this at the
> source language level (like proposed in D) is a good step forward IMO.
>
>
>> By the way, I think Walter said "assert can be potentially used to
>> make optimizations" not "Oh, I just had an idea! We could use assert
>> to optimize code". I think the code already does this. Of course, we
>> would have to look at the source code to find out...
>
> If the code already does this, then what are we arguing about?

Exactly. I think the OP doesn't know that Walter wasn't proposing any semantic change in assert. Walter was just stating how assert works for him (or should work, but probably some optimizations are not implemented).

We should ask Walter, but I think he's offline...

August 05, 2014
>
>
>> Well, yes: Undefined behaviour in the sense
>>
> "And there will be no injection of undefined behaviour
>                                    ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>                                    conventional sense
>
>
>  - the undefined behaviour is already there if the asserted constraints
>        ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>        altered sense
>
> are not valid."
>

I still don't quite see your point.  Perhaps I should have said:  In the
case where an asserted constraint is not met, the program is invalid.
 Being invalid it has undefined behaviour if it continues.

>From another:

> There is a difference between invalid and undefined: A program is invalid ("buggy"), if it doesn't do what it's programmer intended, while "undefined" is a matter of the language specification. The (wrong) behaviour of an invalid program need not be undefined, and often isn't in practice.
>

I disagree with this characterization.  Something can be buggy, not doing what the programmer intended, while also a perfectly valid program.  You can make wrong logic that is valid/reasonable in the context of the program.

Invalid in this case means the programmer has explicitly stated certain constraints must hold, and such constraints do not hold.  So if you continue with the program in the face of invalid constraints, you have no guarantee what will happen - this is what I mean by 'undefined'.

August 05, 2014
On 8/5/2014 12:13 PM, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> The way I see it, we need to educate D users to use 'assert' with the
> proper meaning,

I agree. We're starting with improving the spec wording.

> I think in the
> long run, this will turn out to be an important, revolutionary
> development not just in D, but in programming languages in general.

I agree. It also opens the door for programmers providing simple, checkable hints to the optimizer. I don't know how far we can go with that, but I suspect significant opportunity.

August 05, 2014
On 8/4/2014 8:01 AM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 8/4/14, 7:27 AM, Matthias Bentrup wrote:
>> Should this semantics extend to array bounds checking, i.e. after the
>> statement
>>
>> foo[5] := 0;
>>
>> can the optimizer assume that foo.length >= 6 ?
>
> Yes, definitely. -- Andrei

Yes, after all, bounds checking is just another form of asserts.
August 05, 2014
On Tue, Aug 05, 2014 at 08:11:16PM +0000, via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Tuesday, 5 August 2014 at 18:57:40 UTC, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> >Exactly. I think part of the problem is that people have been using assert with the wrong meaning. In my mind, 'assert(x)' doesn't mean "abort if x is false in debug mode but silently ignore in release mode", as some people apparently think it means. To me, it means "at this point in the program, x is true".  It's that simple.
> 
> A language construct with such a meaning is useless as a safety feature.

I don't see it as a safety feature at all.

> If I first have to prove that the condition is true before I can safely use an assert, I don't need the assert anymore, because I've already proved it.

I see it as future proofing: I may have proven the condition for *this* version of the program, but all software will change (unless it's dead), and change means the original proof may no longer be valid, but this part of the code is still written under the assumption that the condition holds. In most cases, it *does* still hold, so in general you're OK, but sometimes a change invalidates an axiom that, in consequence, invalidates the assertion.  Then the assertion will trip (in non-release mode, of course), telling me that my program logic has become invalid due to the change I made.  So I'll have to fix the problem so that the condition holds again.

> If it is intended to be an optimization hint, it should be implemented as a pragma, not as a prominent feature meant to be widely used. (But I see that you have a different use case, see my comment below.)

And here is the beauty of the idea: rather than polluting my code with optimization hints, which are out-of-band (and which are generally unverified and may be outright wrong after the code undergoes several revisions), I am stating *facts* about my program logic that must hold -- which therefore fits in very logically with the code itself. It even self-documents the code, to some extent. Then as an added benefit, the compiler is able to use these facts to emit more efficient code. So to me, it *should* be a prominent, widely-used feature. I would use it, and use it a *lot*.

> >The optimizer only guarantees (in theory) consistent program behaviour if the program is valid to begin with. If the program is invalid, all bets are off as to what its "optimized" version does.
> 
> There is a difference between invalid and undefined: A program is invalid ("buggy"), if it doesn't do what it's programmer intended, while "undefined" is a matter of the language specification. The (wrong) behaviour of an invalid program need not be undefined, and often isn't in practice.

To me, this distinction doesn't matter in practice, because in practice, an invalid program produces a wrong result, and a program with undefined behaviour also produces a wrong result. I don't care what kind of wrong result it is; what I care is to fix the program to *not* produce a wrong result.

> An optimizer may only transform code in a way that keeps the resulting code semantically equivalent. This means that if the original "unoptimized" program is well-defined, the optimized one will be too.

That's a nice property to have, but again, if my program produces a wrong result, then my program produces a wrong result. As a language user, I don't care that the optimizer may change one wrong result to a different wrong result.  What I care about is to fix the code so that the program produces the *correct* result. To me, it only matters that the optimizer does the Right Thing when the program is correct to begin with. If the program was wrong, then it doesn't matter if the optimizer makes it a different kind of wrong; the program should be fixed so that it stops being wrong.

> >Yes, the people using assert as a kind of "check in debug mode but ignore in release mode" should really be using something else instead, since that's not what assert means. I'm honestly astounded that people would actually use assert as some kind of non-release-mode-check instead of the statement of truth that it was meant to be.
> 
> Well, when this "something else" is introduced, it will need to replace almost every existing instance of "assert", as the latter must only be used if it is proven that the condition is always true. To name just one example, it cannot be used in range `front` and `popFront` methods to assert that the range is not empty, unless there is an additional non-assert check directly before it.

I don't follow this reasoning. For .front and .popFront to assert that the range is non-empty, simply means that user code that attempts to do otherwise is wrong by definition, and must be fixed. I don't care if it's wrong as in invalid, or wrong as in undefined, the bottom line is that code that calls .front or .popFront on an empty range is incorrectly written, and therefore must be fixed.

If I were to implement ranges in assembly language, for example, I would not write .front or .popFront to check for emptiness before performing operations, because that introduces needless overhead in correct programs. In incorrect programs, it will crash (horribly), but that's just the consequence of the program being incorrect. Adding a check for emptiness does not help fix incorrectness -- you will still get a wrong result. The only difference is an exception instead of a crash -- nicer, I'll concede, but either way, you're not getting the correct result.

Now, during development, I might add emptiness checks to my assembly language range program for the purpose of locating incorrectly-written parts of the program. But before I ship the product, I'd better make darned sure that I've eliminated every bug that I can find, and convinced myself that the program will operate correctly. If I can't even convince myself that the program is correct, I have no business shipping it to customers. But if I've convinced myself that it is correct, then I might as well disable the emptiness checks so that my product will deliver top performance -- since that wouldn't be a problem in a correct program.

> >Furthermore, I think Walter's idea to use asserts as a source of optimizer hints is a very powerful concept that may turn out to be a revolutionary feature in D. It could very well develop into the answer to my long search for a way of declaring identities in user-defined types that allow high-level optimizations by the optimizer, thus allowing user-defined types to be on par with built-in types in optimizability. Currently, the compiler is able to optimize x+x+x+x into 4*x if x is an int, for example, but it can't if x is a user-defined type (e.g. BigInt), because it can't know if opBinary was defined in a way that obeys this identity. But if we can assert that this holds for the user-defined type, e.g., BigInt, then the compiler can make use of that axiom to perform such an optimization.  This would then allow code to be written in more human-readable forms, and still maintain optimal performance, even where user-defined types are involved.
> 
> This is a very powerful feature indeed, but to be used safely, the compiler needs to be able to detect invalid uses reliably at compile time.
>
> This is currently not the case:
> 
>     void onlyOddNumbersPlease(int n) {
>         assert(n % 2);
>     }
> 
>     void foo() {
>         onlyOddNumbersPlease(42);    // shouldn't compile, but does
>     }

In theory, the optimizer could use CTFE to reduce the function call, and thereby discover that the code is invalid. We don't have that today, but conceivably, we can achieve that one day.

But taking a step back, there's only so much the compiler can do at compile-time. You can't stop *every* unsafe usage of something without also making it useless. While the manufacturer of a sharp cutting tool will presumably do their best to ensure the tool is safe to use, it's impossible to prevent *every* possible unsafe usage of said tool. If the user points the chainsaw to his foot, he will lose his foot, and there's nothing the manufacturer can do to prevent this except shipping a non-functional chainsaw. If the user insists on asserting things that are untrue, there will always be a way to bypass the compiler's static checks and end up with undefined behaviour at runtime.

> It would be great if this were possible. In the example of `front` and `popFront`, programs that call these methods on a range that could theoretically be empty wouldn't compile. This might be useful for optimization, but above that it's useful for verifying correctness.

A sufficiently-aggressive optimizer might be able to verify this at compile-time by static analysis. But even that has its limits... for example:

MyRange range;
	assert(range.empty);
	if (solveRiemannHypothesis()) // <-- don't know if this is true
		range.addElements(...);

range.popFront(); // <-- should this compile or not?

> Unfortunately this is not what has been suggested (and was evidently
> intended from the beginning)...

I don't think static analysis is *excluded* by the current proposal. I can see it as a possible future enhancement. But the fact that we don't have it today doesn't mean we shouldn't step in that direction.

T

-- 
I've been around long enough to have seen an endless parade of magic new techniques du jour, most of which purport to remove the necessity of thought about your programming problem.  In the end they wind up contributing one or two pieces to the collective wisdom, and fade away in the rearview mirror. -- Walter Bright
August 05, 2014
On 8/5/2014 12:25 PM, Araq wrote:
> 'assume' is not nearly powerful enough for this and in no way "revolutionary".

More in the near-term realm of possibility are asserts that constrain the range of values for a variable, which can subsequently eliminate the extra code needed to handle the full range of the type.

One case is the one that started off this whole discussion - constraining the range of values so that an overflow-checking-multiply need not actually check the overflow, because an overflow might be impossible.

This kind of situation can come up in generic code, where the generic code is written conservatively and defensively, then relying on the caller to provide a few asserts which will in effect "customize" the generic code.

What's exciting about this is it'll give us a lever we can use to generate better code than other languages are capable of.
August 05, 2014
On 8/5/2014 1:09 PM, Ary Borenszweig wrote:
> On 8/5/14, 3:55 PM, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 05, 2014 at 11:18:46AM -0700, Jeremy Powers via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>
>> Furthermore, I think Walter's idea to use asserts as a source of
>> optimizer hints is a very powerful concept that may turn out to be a
>> revolutionary feature in D.
>
> LLVM already has it. It's not revolutionary:
>
> http://llvm.org/docs/LangRef.html#llvm-assume-intrinsic

That's a language extension. A language extension is not a language feature. But it is strong evidence supporting my assertion that these sorts of things are inexorably coming. As bearophile posted, Microsoft also has such an intrinsic for their C++.

> By the way, I think Walter said "assert can be potentially used to make
> optimizations" not "Oh, I just had an idea! We could use assert to optimize
> code". I think the code already does this. Of course, we would have to look at
> the source code to find out...

It is hardly a new idea, or my idea. I got it from this 1981 book:

http://www.amazon.com/Program-Flow-Analysis-Application-Prentice-Hall/dp/0137296819/

which I've had a copy of since '82 or so. My notions on asserts being contracts, regardless of switch settings, date to a similar time, see "Object Oriented Software Construction", a 1985 book.

> By the way, most of the time in this list I hear "We could use this and that
> feature to allow better optimizations" and no optimizations are ever
> implemented. Look at all those @pure nosafe nothrow const that you have to put
> and yet you don't get any performance boost from that.

Not only is that currently quite incorrect, don't put the chicken before the egg. The 'nothrow', etc., feature must exist before it can be taken advantage of.