Wulfklaue
Jun 10, 2017
adamss3
Jun 10, 2017
Ali Çehreli
Jun 13, 2017
Steve
May 13, 2017
I've updated the book to 2.074.0. I've updated all paper and electronic versions at all publishers. However, I recommend that you wait a week or so before ordering (e.g. from Amazon) so that you get the latest version. (The copyright and Preface pages should say May 2017.)

You can download the up-to-date versions here:

http://ddili.org/ders/d.en/index.html

The fonts are indeed embedded in the PDF, EPUB, and AZW3 formats. You may have to experiment with configuration settings of your e-reader to enable the embedded fonts. YMMV. :/

Ali
May 14, 2017
On Saturday, 13 May 2017 at 23:22:41 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> I've updated the book to 2.074.0. I've updated all paper and electronic versions at all publishers. However, I recommend that you wait a week or so before ordering (e.g. from Amazon) so that you get the latest version. (The copyright and Preface pages should say May 2017.)
>
> You can download the up-to-date versions here:
>
>   http://ddili.org/ders/d.en/index.html
>
> The fonts are indeed embedded in the PDF, EPUB, and AZW3 formats. You may have to experiment with configuration settings of your e-reader to enable the embedded fonts. YMMV. :/
>
> Ali

I just wanted to say thank you very much for your book. It has been invaluable to me while learning D. Keep up the great work!
May 14, 2017
On Sunday, 14 May 2017 at 04:44:26 UTC, bluecat wrote:
> On Saturday, 13 May 2017 at 23:22:41 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
>> I've updated the book to 2.074.0. I've updated all paper and electronic versions at all publishers. However, I recommend that you wait a week or so before ordering (e.g. from Amazon) so that you get the latest version. (The copyright and Preface pages should say May 2017.)
>>
>> You can download the up-to-date versions here:
>>
>>   http://ddili.org/ders/d.en/index.html
>>
>> The fonts are indeed embedded in the PDF, EPUB, and AZW3 formats. You may have to experiment with configuration settings of your e-reader to enable the embedded fonts. YMMV. :/
>>
>> Ali
>
> I just wanted to say thank you very much for your book. It has been invaluable to me while learning D. Keep up the great work!

Seconded.
May 14, 2017
On Sunday, 14 May 2017 at 04:44:26 UTC, bluecat wrote:
>
> I just wanted to say thank you very much for your book. It has been invaluable to me while learning D. Keep up the great work!

Not just for learning D. I prefer it to the dlang.org documentation on a number of topics!
May 16, 2017
On Saturday, 13 May 2017 at 23:22:41 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> I've updated the book to 2.074.0. I've updated all paper and electronic versions at all publishers. However, I recommend that you wait a week or so before ordering (e.g. from Amazon) so that you get the latest version. (The copyright and Preface pages should say May 2017.)
>
> You can download the up-to-date versions here:
>
>   http://ddili.org/ders/d.en/index.html
>
> The fonts are indeed embedded in the PDF, EPUB, and AZW3 formats. You may have to experiment with configuration settings of your e-reader to enable the embedded fonts. YMMV. :/
>
> Ali

Big thanks!!!

May 16, 2017
On 05/16/2017 12:47 AM, Suliman wrote:

> Big thanks!!!

Thank you all! I'm very happy that it's useful.

Ali

May 28, 2017
On Tuesday, 16 May 2017 at 07:52:18 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> On 05/16/2017 12:47 AM, Suliman wrote:
>
>> Big thanks!!!
>
> Thank you all! I'm very happy that it's useful.
>
> Ali

Has Amazon caught up with the new version?  If so, is it just the paperback version or has the hardcover version also been updated?
May 28, 2017
On 05/28/2017 06:25 AM, Steve wrote:
> On Tuesday, 16 May 2017 at 07:52:18 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
>> On 05/16/2017 12:47 AM, Suliman wrote:
>>
>>> Big thanks!!!
>>
>> Thank you all! I'm very happy that it's useful.
>>
>> Ali
>
> Has Amazon caught up with the new version?  If so, is it just the
> paperback version or has the hardcover version also been updated?

It should take just a day or two anyway and Amazon's book preview does show the new content. (Copyright page has May 2017).

Ali

May 29, 2017
Hi Ali,

The book is great ( got it recently ) but there are some things that may make be better.

I found the book a bit unwieldy ( hardcover ) version. With its 700+ pages, its kind of hard to take anywhere. When i take it to work and back home, its like carrying a brick with me :)

Another issue that i noticed is that the current format makes it impossible to extend the book. For example, 87 in memory management the experimental unsafe memory management is not written about.  But if you want to make follow up chapters, it requires people to rebuy the
newer book.

Is it maybe not better to split the book into several more smaller versions? Making it more easy to carry or extend? Like Basic 1, Advanced 2, ...

And a last one: coloring... My vision is not exactly the best and i noticed that colored code is much more easy to read in books. If there the possibility for a colored ( more expensive ) version in the future?
May 29, 2017
On 05/29/2017 03:06 PM, Wulfklaue wrote:

> The book is great ( got it recently ) but there are some things that may
> make be better.

Thank you for your feedback. :)

> 87 in memory management the
> experimental unsafe memory management is not written about.

Yes, there are things I would like to add (and change) but it's not clear whether I will ever be in a state of mind to carry on with such a task. It felt very natural while it lasted. I'm not sure anymore.

> But if you
> want to make follow up chapters, it requires people to rebuy the
> newer book.

Yes and no, because all the material would always be available anyway.

> Is it maybe not better to split the book into several more smaller
> versions? Making it more easy to carry or extend? Like Basic 1, Advanced
> 2, ...

Makes sense and others had suggested that as well. One complication would be different cover design for each book. (Even if not the general concept, the book cover image is for that specific number of pages (with some leeway)).

> And a last one: coloring... My vision is not exactly the best and i
> noticed that colored code is much more easy to read in books. If there
> the possibility for a colored ( more expensive ) version in the future?

There was no option of color printing when I considered printers (or perhaps it was too expensive to even consider; I don't remember). However, if you can live with the pdf version of the book, the code samples are in color:

http://ddili.org/ders/d.en/Programming_in_D.pdf

It's the same content and format as the printed book, except it is generated from a different CSS file.

Ali

« First   ‹ Prev
1 2