Mar 17, 2003
Ilya Minkov
Mar 18, 2003
Ilya Minkov
Mar 18, 2003
Walter
March 17, 2003
Walter,

You posted a message to this newsgroup in June 2002 (I think) that said you were
planning on developing a release of the dmdscript engine that would allow it to
be
embedded in other applications.

I'm just checking the status of this project.

I'd like to use ECMAScript to automate an application that I'm developing. I was planning on using the mozilla spidermonkey engine, but I'm intrigued by the prospect of using dmdscript instead. Especially since I'm using the D language to develop my application, and I expect there will be (at least slightly) better language integreation and (certainly) better developer support.

Thanks,

--Benji Smith

March 17, 2003
I've just stumbled over a couple of alternatives which might be worth considering. I haven't tried them myself though.

---8<---
ferite is a lighweight, portable, threadsafe scripting engine with a language very similiar to Java, C, PHP, and Perl. It is fast, has a very small footprint, and is object-oriented. It is designed to be modular and embeddable in other applications.
--->8---

---8<---
ObjectScript is a general purpose object-oriented programming language. It is designed to be simple to learn, easy to use, yet still powerful, combining the convenience of an interactive interpreter with many of the features of Java.
--->8---

It's just a coinsidense that i came across them. I don't have the links, but you can google for them or search SouceForge - i've found them there. At least they could be less monsterous than that mozilla thingy. And prabably faster... a speed comparison would be interesting.

-i.

Benji Smith wrote:
> Walter,
> 
> You posted a message to this newsgroup in June 2002 (I think) that said you were
> planning on developing a release of the dmdscript engine that would allow it to
> be embedded in other applications.
> 
> I'm just checking the status of this project.
> 
> I'd like to use ECMAScript to automate an application that I'm developing. I was
> planning on using the mozilla spidermonkey engine, but I'm intrigued by the
> prospect of using dmdscript instead. Especially since I'm using the D language
> to develop my application, and I expect there will be (at least slightly) better
> language integreation and (certainly) better developer support.
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> --Benji Smith
> 
> 

March 18, 2003
The project is just at the concept stage at the moment.

"Benji Smith" <Benji_member@pathlink.com> wrote in message news:b557fg$2aa1$1@digitaldaemon.com...
> Walter,
>
> You posted a message to this newsgroup in June 2002 (I think) that said
you were
> planning on developing a release of the dmdscript engine that would allow
it to
> be
> embedded in other applications.
>
> I'm just checking the status of this project.
>
> I'd like to use ECMAScript to automate an application that I'm developing.
I was
> planning on using the mozilla spidermonkey engine, but I'm intrigued by
the
> prospect of using dmdscript instead. Especially since I'm using the D
language
> to develop my application, and I expect there will be (at least slightly)
better
> language integreation and (certainly) better developer support.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Benji Smith
>
>

March 18, 2003
A couple more alternatives came over my way.

---8<---
C-smile OOL is a scripting language with C++-like grammar. It has compiler, VM running bytecodes and C++ extendible runtime. Intended to run in standlone and embedded mode.
--->8---
(somewhere in the debris of sourceforge)

---8<---
NJS is an independent implementation of the JavaScript language [...]. It is designed to be re-entrant, extendible, fast, and programmable.
--->8---
http://www.bbassett.net/njs/

The last one is particularly interesting, since it's a rival to DMDScript. It is not to be confused with the Mozilla's implementation, and should be better, though not 100% compatible. The source tarball is only little larger than half-meg, and includes the bytecode compiler, executors, utilities and a testsuit. It is written in C and in part in JavaScript. The JavaScript part is compiled into its own bytecode and included into the C source as array literal. :)

License: LGPL.

-i.

Ilya Minkov wrote:
> I've just stumbled over a couple of alternatives which might be worth considering. I haven't tried them myself though.
> 
> ---8<---
> ferite is a lighweight, portable, threadsafe scripting engine with a language very similiar to Java, C, PHP, and Perl. It is fast, has a very small footprint, and is object-oriented. It is designed to be modular and embeddable in other applications.
> --->8---
>     ---8<---
> ObjectScript is a general purpose object-oriented programming language. It is designed to be simple to learn, easy to use, yet still powerful, combining the convenience of an interactive interpreter with many of the features of Java.
> --->8---
> 
> It's just a coinsidense that i came across them. I don't have the links, but you can google for them or search SouceForge - i've found them there. At least they could be less monsterous than that mozilla thingy. And prabably faster... a speed comparison would be interesting.
> 
> -i.
>