February 16, 2017
Jack Stouffer wrote:

>And I sincerely hope they work to fix them before adding in abunch of new DIPs which will further complicate matters,especially with regard to function signitures.

so far i see that they just like to say: "we won't break user's code",and then silently breaking it, even without deprecation stage.

thank you, guys; guessing when "we won't break the code" really meanssomething is a fun game.

you want the example? `scope` was added to `_compare_fp_t`from "core.stdc.stdlib". thank you for breaking ALL my code thatis using `qsort()`. i guess nobody from core dev team really used`qsort()` from libc, so it is ok to break the code with it.

yeah, this was done in git, not in release. but still.

btw, for a short time compiler was unable to build itself at all,
with all that "scope spam". i.e. nobody really cares about travis,or travis cannot properly check commits and is useless (or how elsepatch that did broke travis builds lands in "master"?)

what i really want to say is that spamming code with shiny new stuff isdone... too fast, and tends to disregard "we won't break users' code"mantra. sure, adding new features is fun, i know it, and i like to doit too. but please, let's do it consistently! either drop "we won'tbreak" and start *really* adding features, or stop adding randomhalf-finished things to compiler/druntime/phobos. at least in "master".

p.s.: please, no "don't use git HEAD" blah-blah. it is not about shortbreakages (which is normal with "bleeding edge"). it is all about lackof consistency and proper... practices. maybe even proper projectvision.

p.p.s.: "mostly volunteers", "free", etc. i know. thank you all foryour hard work. i appreciate it, and that's exactly why i don't want itto be spoiled by seemingly small and insignificant things.
February 16, 2017
On Thursday, 16 February 2017 at 03:46:29 UTC, ketmar wrote:
> you want the example? `scope` was added to `_compare_fp_t`from "core.stdc.stdlib". thank you for breaking ALL my code thatis using `qsort()`. i guess nobody from core dev team really used`qsort()` from libc, so it is ok to break the code with it.

Yes, I'm really disappointed with the way that DIP1000 is turning out. It was explicitly stated that nothing would be broken right away and that everything would be given a deprecation cycle.

Can you please make a bug with a level of regression for your specific problem?
February 16, 2017
Jack Stouffer wrote:

>Can you please make a bug with a level of regression for your specific problem?

yeah.

https://issues.dlang.org/show_bug.cgi?id=17188
February 16, 2017
On Saturday, 11 February 2017 at 15:52:40 UTC, SC wrote:
> People here under estimate the necessity to have EXCELLENT editor support
>

It's not just editor but complete setup, you shouldn't be required to download the compiler, then dub, then an editor.
An easy to download and install package including the compiler, dub and DLangIDE, plus perhaps a couple demo projects, would be great for curious newcomers who just want to take a look at the language. IMHO, of course.

February 16, 2017
Something is going on with your newsreader client. It's replies break the thread.
February 17, 2017
On Friday, 17 February 2017 at 00:00:09 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> Something is going on with your newsreader client. It's replies break the thread.

I would point out that if there are issues with threading, and you don't quote whoever you're responding to, then it may be connected to the wrong post - that and some folks don't even use threading in their viewer, so without a quote or a name, it's hard to know for sure who you're talking to.

- Jonathan M Davis
February 17, 2017
On Wednesday, 15 February 2017 at 16:07:18 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
> This trend will continue. Programming for iOS without XCode is unthinkable at this point, and similar situations exists for other platforms.
>

For macOS, the prospect of not having to use XCode is rather a positive :)

February 17, 2017
Walter Bright wrote:

>Something is going on with your newsreader client. It's replies break the thread.

i honestly don't know what is wrong there. i creating "In-Reply-To:" field, and DFeed is able to correctly link my posts (see web interface), and my own reader correctly links 'em too. i.e. i tested it with web and with my reader, and it was working ok...

the only thing i can blame is absence of "References:" header. i was sure that it is completely unnecessary, but i added "References:" generation too, just in case.
February 17, 2017
Walter Bright wrote:

>Something is going on with your newsreader client. It's replies break the thread.

ooops. created the content, but forgot to actually send it. ;-)
February 17, 2017
On Friday, 17 February 2017 at 01:29:48 UTC, Guillaume Piolat wrote:
> For macOS, the prospect of not having to use XCode is rather a positive :)

Really? I find XCode 8 to do most of what I need. Refactoring is somewhat limited, but otherwise it works fine.