Michael Coupland
May 20, 2004
Norbert Nemec
May 20, 2004
Michael Coupland
May 20, 2004
Andy Friesen
May 20, 2004
So I was porting my C++ vector code to D in preparation for my first big D project, and I ran into the following problem: I have overloaded * and *= scalar multiplication operations for the vector class, and I would prefer to write *= in terms of *. However, I tried copying my C++ code, which resulted in the following (broken) D code:

// BROKEN
class Vec2( ScalarType )
{
	// ... code ...

////////////////////////////////////
	// Overloaded * and *=
	Vec2 opMul( ScalarType s )
	{
		return new Vec2( x*s, y*s );	
	}

Vec2 opMulAssign( ScalarType s )
	{
		this = this * s;
		return this;
	}
}

I tried compiling, and *= didn't seem to be working. In retrospect, it was a silly coding error: I'm overwriting the this pointer in opMulAssign(), which was resulting in some of that good ol' "undefined" behavior. As I was typing up a complaint/help request to this board, I realized that there was an interesting solution: do it the other way! So I wrote * in terms of *= and got the following (working) code:

// WORKS!
class Vec2( ScalarType )
{
	// ... code ...

////////////////////////////////////
	// Overloaded * and *=
	Vec2 opMul( ScalarType s )
	{
		Vec2 res = new Vec2(this);
		res *= s;
		return res;
	}

Vec2 opMulAssign( ScalarType s )
	{
		x *= s;
		y *= s;
		return this;
	}
}

It just goes to show that you need to be careful when you're used to C++. I'm still trying to get my D-legs under me, and I figured that this might be a helpful story for others who are still beginning with D.

Michael Coupland
May 20, 2004
You would probably want to use struct instead of class. A struct is always handled by value.

Michael Coupland wrote:

> So I was porting my C++ vector code to D in preparation for my first big D project, and I ran into the following problem: I have overloaded * and *= scalar multiplication operations for the vector class, and I would prefer to write *= in terms of *. However, I tried copying my C++ code, which resulted in the following (broken) D code:
> 
> // BROKEN
> class Vec2( ScalarType )
> {
> // ... code ...
> 
> ////////////////////////////////////
> // Overloaded * and *=
> Vec2 opMul( ScalarType s )
> {
> return new Vec2( x*s, y*s );
> }
> 
> Vec2 opMulAssign( ScalarType s )
> {
> this = this * s;
> return this;
> }
> }
> 
> I tried compiling, and *= didn't seem to be working. In retrospect, it was a silly coding error: I'm overwriting the this pointer in opMulAssign(), which was resulting in some of that good ol' "undefined" behavior. As I was typing up a complaint/help request to this board, I realized that there was an interesting solution: do it the other way! So I wrote * in terms of *= and got the following (working) code:
> 
> // WORKS!
> class Vec2( ScalarType )
> {
> // ... code ...
> 
> ////////////////////////////////////
> // Overloaded * and *=
> Vec2 opMul( ScalarType s )
> {
> Vec2 res = new Vec2(this);
> res *= s;
> return res;
> }
> 
> Vec2 opMulAssign( ScalarType s )
> {
> x *= s;
> y *= s;
> return this;
> }
> }
> 
> It just goes to show that you need to be careful when you're used to C++. I'm still trying to get my D-legs under me, and I figured that this might be a helpful story for others who are still beginning with D.
> 
> Michael Coupland

May 20, 2004
Norbert Nemec wrote:

> You would probably want to use struct instead of class. A struct is always
> handled by value.

I thought about doing that, but I was a little hesitant because I wouldn't be able to have:

this( ScalarType s )
	{
		x = s;
		y = s;
	}

But in retrospect, using a struct is a 'more correct' choice (vectors are simple aggregates). I don't particularly use that constructor anyway, but I'd appreciate a suggestion on how to recreate the following (C++)

typedef Vec2<float> Vec2f;
	Vec2f test_vec( 1, 2 );

I don't know how to do something like this without constructors similar to the one above. I know that /static/ structs can be initialized as:

static Vec2f test_vec = { 1, 2 };

which would be fine for me, except that it doesn't work for non-static variables. Any suggestions?

Michael Coupland
May 20, 2004
Michael Coupland wrote:

> I'd appreciate a suggestion on how to recreate the following (C++)
> 
>     typedef Vec2<float> Vec2f;
>     Vec2f test_vec( 1, 2 );
> 
> I don't know how to do something like this without constructors similar to the one above. I know that /static/ structs can be initialized as:
> 
>     static Vec2f test_vec = { 1, 2 };
> 
> which would be fine for me, except that it doesn't work for non-static variables. Any suggestions?

You can come close by defining a static opCall method that returns a Vector to get this:

Vector v = Vector(1,2,3);

I think it's ugly and evil, but you could also make a nonstatic opCall that makes the vector mutate and return itself:

Vector v; v(1,2,3);

-- andy