Jan 13, 2006
Sean Kelly
Jan 13, 2006
Lars Ivar Igesund
Jan 13, 2006
Kris
January 13, 2006
Ok...

I get the point that one can use a delegate to refer to a non-static member function (i.e. as non-static function of a class or struct) and a function pointer to refer to all other functions (i.e., static members of class and struct, and non-members). What I don't understand however, is at what point in more advantageous to use a pointer or a deligate vice a standard function call.

Why would I need to point to a function when I can call it outright? Is there a time when a delegate or pointer is the only viable means of accomplishing something? In those cases where a pointer or a deligate is the preferred method: why would it be so? Is it just a matter of taste?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

January 13, 2006
tyro [a.c.edwards] wrote:
> Ok...
> 
> I get the point that one can use a delegate to refer to a non-static member
> function (i.e. as non-static function of a class or struct) and a function
> pointer to refer to all other functions (i.e., static members of class and
> struct, and non-members). What I don't understand however, is at what point in
> more advantageous to use a pointer or a deligate vice a standard function call.
> 
> Why would I need to point to a function when I can call it outright? Is there a
> time when a delegate or pointer is the only viable means of accomplishing
> something? In those cases where a pointer or a deligate is the preferred method:
> why would it be so? Is it just a matter of taste?

I can think of two related scenarios to use function pointers.  First, they can be useful when you want to be able to re-use the same piece of code in a number of slightly different ways... particularly if you want the user to be able to specify this.  For example:

void print( bit delegate( out char ) getChar )
{
    char c;
    while( getChar( c ) )
    {
        putchar( c );
    }
}

The delegate passed to the print function above may get its data from a file, from a string, from a socket, etc, but the same print function can be used in each case.

The second scenario is that sometimes you just don't know what function you want to execute at design-time.  Think of it like polymorphism at the function level.  You might have a state machine that spits out different function pointers at different times during its execution, and these pointers may be passed to other functions to perform some operation.  Class-level polymorphism can often be used in these cases as well, but if you only ever want to execute a function with a given signature then there's no reason to design a class heirarchy for this purpose--particularly with delegates as they have access to stack data (which makes them a bit like function objects--functors--in C++).

Sean
January 13, 2006
In article <dq8d66$ogg$1@digitaldaemon.com>, Sean Kelly says...
>
>tyro [a.c.edwards] wrote:
>> Ok...
>> 
>> I get the point that one can use a delegate to refer to a non-static member function (i.e. as non-static function of a class or struct) and a function pointer to refer to all other functions (i.e., static members of class and struct, and non-members). What I don't understand however, is at what point in more advantageous to use a pointer or a deligate vice a standard function call.
>> 
>> Why would I need to point to a function when I can call it outright? Is there a time when a delegate or pointer is the only viable means of accomplishing something? In those cases where a pointer or a deligate is the preferred method: why would it be so? Is it just a matter of taste?
>
>I can think of two related scenarios to use function pointers.  First, they can be useful when you want to be able to re-use the same piece of code in a number of slightly different ways... particularly if you want the user to be able to specify this.  For example:
>
>
>void print( bit delegate( out char ) getChar )
>{
>     char c;
>     while( getChar( c ) )
>     {
>         putchar( c );
>     }
>}

So in this regard I don't have to know the actual name of the function being called prior to implementing my own?

>
>The delegate passed to the print function above may get its data from a file, from a string, from a socket, etc, but the same print function can be used in each case.

but I could achieve the same from a direct function call and still not know it's implementation:

# void main()
# {
#   print();
# }
#
# static char[] str="Test";
#
# bit getChar(out char c)
# {
#   if(str.length > 0)
#   {
#     c = str[0];
#     str = str[1 .. $];
#     return true;
#   }
#   return false;
# }
#
# void print()
# {
#      char c;
#      while( getChar( c ) )
#      {
#          writef( c );
#      }
# }

as long as the function I call modifies a char argument and returns a bit the result is the same. So what, other than the fact with the pointer I don't know the function name beforehand, makes the use of the pointer that much better?

>The second scenario is that sometimes you just don't know what function you want to execute at design-time.  Think of it like polymorphism at the function level.  You might have a state machine that spits out different function pointers at different times during its execution, and these pointers may be passed to other functions to perform some operation.  Class-level polymorphism can often be used in these cases as well, but if you only ever want to execute a function with a given signature then there's no reason to design a class heirarchy for this purpose--particularly with delegates as they have access to stack data (which makes them a bit like function objects--functors--in C++).
>

Ok... this I can understand. Still having a dificulty grasping the first scenario though. Not that I don't understand what it does. Just why it would be necessary.

>Sean

January 13, 2006
> In article <dq8d66$ogg$1@digitaldaemon.com>, Sean Kelly says...
> 
>>tyro [a.c.edwards] wrote:
>>
>>>Ok...
>>>
>>>I get the point that one can use a delegate to refer to a non-static member
>>>function (i.e. as non-static function of a class or struct) and a function
>>>pointer to refer to all other functions (i.e., static members of class and
>>>struct, and non-members). What I don't understand however, is at what point in
>>>more advantageous to use a pointer or a deligate vice a standard function call.
>>>
>>>Why would I need to point to a function when I can call it outright? Is there a
>>>time when a delegate or pointer is the only viable means of accomplishing
>>>something? In those cases where a pointer or a deligate is the preferred method:
>>>why would it be so? Is it just a matter of taste?
>>
>>I can think of two related scenarios to use function pointers.  First, they can be useful when you want to be able to re-use the same piece of code in a number of slightly different ways... particularly if you want the user to be able to specify this.  For example:
>>
>>
>>void print( bit delegate( out char ) getChar )
>>{
>>    char c;
>>    while( getChar( c ) )
>>    {
>>        putchar( c );
>>    }
>>}
> 
> 
> So in this regard I don't have to know the actual name of the function being
> called prior to implementing my own?
> 
> 
>>The delegate passed to the print function above may get its data from a file, from a string, from a socket, etc, but the same print function can be used in each case.
> 
> 
> but I could achieve the same from a direct function call and still not know it's
> implementation:
> 
> # void main()
> # {
> #   print();
> # }
> # # static char[] str="Test";
> # # bit getChar(out char c)
> # {
> #   if(str.length > 0)
> #   {
> #     c = str[0];
> #     str = str[1 .. $];
> #     return true;
> #   }
> #   return false;
> # }
> # # void print()
> # {
> #      char c;
> #      while( getChar( c ) )
> #      {
> #          writef( c );
> #      }
> # }
> 
> as long as the function I call modifies a char argument and returns a bit the
> result is the same. So what, other than the fact with the pointer I don't know
> the function name beforehand, makes the use of the pointer that much better?
> 
> 
>>The second scenario is that sometimes you just don't know what function you want to execute at design-time.  Think of it like polymorphism at the function level.  You might have a state machine that spits out different function pointers at different times during its execution, and these pointers may be passed to other functions to perform some operation.  Class-level polymorphism can often be used in these cases as well, but if you only ever want to execute a function with a given signature then there's no reason to design a class heirarchy for this purpose--particularly with delegates as they have access to stack data (which makes them a bit like function objects--functors--in C++).
>>
> 
> 
> Ok... this I can understand. Still having a dificulty grasping the first
> scenario though. Not that I don't understand what it does. Just why it would be
> necessary. 
> 
> 
>>Sean
> 
> 
> 
Its certainly not the most common use, but delegates to inner functions allow second order recursion:
http://www.latrobe.edu.au/philosophy/phimvt/s00bok.html
(begin around Chapter 7 or 8, its heady stuff but very cool)

-DavidM

January 13, 2006
> In article <dq8d66$ogg$1@digitaldaemon.com>, Sean Kelly says...
>> tyro [a.c.edwards] wrote:
>>> Ok...
>>>
>>> I get the point that one can use a delegate to refer to a non-static member
>>> function (i.e. as non-static function of a class or struct) and a function
>>> pointer to refer to all other functions (i.e., static members of class and
>>> struct, and non-members). What I don't understand however, is at what point in
>>> more advantageous to use a pointer or a deligate vice a standard function call.
>>>
>>> Why would I need to point to a function when I can call it outright? Is there a
>>> time when a delegate or pointer is the only viable means of accomplishing
>>> something? In those cases where a pointer or a deligate is the preferred method:
>>> why would it be so? Is it just a matter of taste?
>> I can think of two related scenarios to use function pointers.  First, they can be useful when you want to be able to re-use the same piece of code in a number of slightly different ways... particularly if you want the user to be able to specify this.  For example:
>>
>>
>> void print( bit delegate( out char ) getChar )
>> {
>>     char c;
>>     while( getChar( c ) )
>>     {
>>         putchar( c );
>>     }
>> }
> 
> So in this regard I don't have to know the actual name of the function being
> called prior to implementing my own?
> 
>> The delegate passed to the print function above may get its data from a file, from a string, from a socket, etc, but the same print function can be used in each case.
> 
> but I could achieve the same from a direct function call and still not know it's
> implementation:
> 
> # void main()
> # {
> #   print();
> # }
> # # static char[] str="Test";
> # # bit getChar(out char c)
> # {
> #   if(str.length > 0)
> #   {
> #     c = str[0];
> #     str = str[1 .. $];
> #     return true;
> #   }
> #   return false;
> # }
> # # void print()
> # {
> #      char c;
> #      while( getChar( c ) )
> #      {
> #          writef( c );
> #      }
> # }
> 
> as long as the function I call modifies a char argument and returns a bit the
> result is the same. So what, other than the fact with the pointer I don't know
> the function name beforehand, makes the use of the pointer that much better?
> 
>> The second scenario is that sometimes you just don't know what function you want to execute at design-time.  Think of it like polymorphism at the function level.  You might have a state machine that spits out different function pointers at different times during its execution, and these pointers may be passed to other functions to perform some operation.  Class-level polymorphism can often be used in these cases as well, but if you only ever want to execute a function with a given signature then there's no reason to design a class heirarchy for this purpose--particularly with delegates as they have access to stack data (which makes them a bit like function objects--functors--in C++).
>>
> 
> Ok... this I can understand. Still having a dificulty grasping the first
> scenario though. Not that I don't understand what it does. Just why it would be
> necessary. 

For a more complex example, look at my readf implementation available here:

http://www.home.f4.ca/sean/d/

(It's the "stdio addon - includes unformat and readf" link)

Basically, I pass different getChar delegates to the low-level implementation so I can use the same parser regardless of the input source.  Other designs are obviously possible, but this one seemed the most straightforward at the time.

Sean
January 13, 2006

> Ok...
> 
> I get the point that one can use a delegate to refer to a non-static member function (i.e. as non-static function of a class or struct) and a function pointer to refer to all other functions (i.e., static members of class and struct, and non-members). What I don't understand however, is at what point in more advantageous to use a pointer or a deligate vice a standard function call.
> 
> Why would I need to point to a function when I can call it outright? Is there a time when a delegate or pointer is the only viable means of accomplishing something? In those cases where a pointer or a deligate is the preferred method: why would it be so? Is it just a matter of taste?
> 
> Thanks in advance,
> Andrew

The callback pattern is quite common in libraries were you want to provide the application an easy way to handle events. The application can register a function pointer/delegate with the library for a given event. When that event happens, for example a user clicks on some part of the GUI, the registered function is fired, doing something funky in the application, maybe saving a document or something entirely different.

Lars Ivar Igesund
January 13, 2006
the standard C "function-pointer" permits a level of indirection that can be useful for certain types and styles of programming.

The D 'function' is identical to a C function-pointer, while the D 'delegate' goes one further: it permits a developer to associate arbitrary "state" with the traditional C function-pointer (the class or struct attributes associated with the delegate function itself).

Thus they are both a means of indirection (or function level polymorphism, as Sean noted).

"tyro [a.c.edwards]" <tyro_member@pathlink.com> wrote in message news:dq8bqm$n75$1@digitaldaemon.com...
> Ok...
>
> I get the point that one can use a delegate to refer to a non-static
> member
> function (i.e. as non-static function of a class or struct) and a function
> pointer to refer to all other functions (i.e., static members of class and
> struct, and non-members). What I don't understand however, is at what
> point in
> more advantageous to use a pointer or a deligate vice a standard function
> call.
>
> Why would I need to point to a function when I can call it outright? Is
> there a
> time when a delegate or pointer is the only viable means of accomplishing
> something? In those cases where a pointer or a deligate is the preferred
> method:
> why would it be so? Is it just a matter of taste?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Andrew
>
>