March 20, 2006
Kyle Furlong wrote:
> Does anyone else think that D-man needs to retire? I think some cute animal or other recognizable mascot would suit better.

Yeah... D-man kind of reminds me of clippy (which isn't a good thing) :)
March 20, 2006
"Anders F Björklund" <afb@algonet.se> wrote in message news:dvmiet$22q$1@digitaldaemon.com...
> Chris Miller wrote:
>
>> I think someone did improve its quality before but I have no idea where it  is, I probably have it archived somewhere.
>
> Did you mean just the existing image, or drew an improved new D-man ?
>
> The antialiased one is here: http://gdcmac.sourceforge.net/dlogo.png

I originally approached three professional cartoonists to do a D-man. One couldn't be bothered with it. Another "didn't do that kind of work." The third wanted royalties and to retain copyright, as if D-man was the next Steamboat Willie. Criminy. I just sketched him out on some scratch paper and scanned him in!

March 20, 2006
On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 10:41:19 -0500, Anders F Björklund <afb@algonet.se> wrote:

> Chris Miller wrote:
>
>> I think someone did improve its quality before but I have no idea where it  is, I probably have it archived somewhere.
>
> Did you mean just the existing image, or drew an improved new D-man ?
>
> The antialiased one is here: http://gdcmac.sourceforge.net/dlogo.png
>

That's probably it, looks pretty good.
March 20, 2006
"Tom" <Tom_member@pathlink.com> wrote in message news:dvmbke$2qb2$1@digitaldaemon.com...
> (??? :D)

That's it!

:D

There it is.  It's a logo and a mascot all in one!

March 21, 2006
Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
> "Tom" <Tom_member@pathlink.com> wrote in message news:dvmbke$2qb2$1@digitaldaemon.com...
> 
>>(??? :D)
> 
> 
> That's it!
> 
> :D
> 
> There it is.  It's a logo and a mascot all in one! 
> 
> 

[x] :D
[ ] <anything else>

:D ... well..err..I guess you know what I mean.

Regards,
Alex
March 21, 2006
Jarrett Billingsley escribió:
> "Tom" <Tom_member@pathlink.com> wrote in message news:dvmbke$2qb2$1@digitaldaemon.com...
>> (??? :D)
> 
> That's it!
> 
> :D
> 
> There it is.  It's a logo and a mascot all in one! 

It's a nice idea.

Tom;
March 21, 2006
Kyle Furlong wrote:
> Does anyone else think that D-man needs to retire? I think some cute animal or other recognizable mascot would suit better.

I once made a D-dog for D last year (http://shfls.org/w/d/ddog.png). Walter replied with exactly the same question -- "What's wrong with D-man?"

Come to think about it, why do we need a mascot for a programming language in the first place? When did the lack of a mascot hinder the growth of C or C++?
March 21, 2006
In article <dvpbnj$nvj$1@digitaldaemon.com>, Wang Zhen says...
>
>Kyle Furlong wrote:
>> Does anyone else think that D-man needs to retire? I think some cute animal or other recognizable mascot would suit better.
>
>I once made a D-dog for D last year (http://shfls.org/w/d/ddog.png). Walter replied with exactly the same question -- "What's wrong with D-man?"
>
>Come to think about it, why do we need a mascot for a programming language in the first place? When did the lack of a mascot hinder the growth of C or C++?

Agreed.  If anything, I think D could use a logo other than "D-man" to help its marketability - kind of like Sun did with Java.  But I don't think its essential to the appeal of the language.

- EricAnderton at yahoo
March 21, 2006
Hasan Aljudy wrote:
> Kyle Furlong wrote:
>> Walter Bright wrote:
>>
>>> "Tom" <ihate@spam.com> wrote in message news:dvl2pd$102v$1@digitaldaemon.com...
>>>
>>>> Kyle Furlong escribió:
>>>>
>>>>> Does anyone else think that D-man needs to retire? I think some cute animal or other recognizable mascot would suit better.
>>>>
>>>> D man is nice, but if it doesn't hurt Walter's feelings and if he agree of course, we could suggest another more sophisticated. This could be done for the 1.0 release. :D
>>>>
>>>> Tom;
>>>>
>>>> P.S.: A contest could be organized for the purpose (mental note: what stupid do I feel talking about this) :P
>>>
>>>
>>> Hey! What's wrong with D-man? <g>
>>>
>>
>> Hes great as far as he goes. The thing here is marketability. If you don't care about that then the name D, and associated d-man mascot are fine. But if one wants to build a grassroots word of mouth campaign, a more recognizable name and/or mascot would help.
> 
> I think the name is fine.
> The mascot is ... let's just say I think we need a new one.

I like D man.

March 21, 2006
"Wang Zhen" <nehzgnaw@gmail.com> wrote in message news:dvpbnj$nvj$1@digitaldaemon.com...
> Come to think about it, why do we need a mascot for a programming language in the first place?

Just for fun, so the spec pages aren't totally dry.

> When did the lack of a mascot hinder the growth of C or C++?