May 24, 2006
Tiberiu Gal wrote:
> hello again,
> I dropped all my tables out and switched to css. you were all right, this site
> must be as light as posible ...so:
> http://dworks.marte.ro/dm/template.html
> 
> this one is nick's template with a bit facelift and wearing make-up.
> this one does not validate yet; it could and it will later. just look for the
> design, colors.
> I modified nick's design to make this one, but i think we can agree on some
> general rules, so many design schemes (or themes) can be made out of css... so
> anyone can see d-programming-languge.org in the colors he likes most.
> 
> 

Yay! Wonderful!

votes++;

/Alex
May 24, 2006
I like it! I think your colors are more appropriate than mine. I have attached matching c, d, and quote.

In theory it is possible to make the header items scale better (make the items always fill the box as the font size is changed). To do this, you can try specifying item dimensions in terms of em units instead of %. However, most sites out there don't bother with this. It's just a personal schizoid item on my checklist.

Tiberiu Gal wrote:
> hello again,
> I dropped all my tables out and switched to css. you were all right, this site
> 
> this one is nick's template with a bit facelift and wearing make-up.
> this one does not validate yet; it could and it will later. just look for the
> design, colors.
> I modified nick's design to make this one, but i think we can agree on some
> general rules, so many design schemes (or themes) can be made out of css... so
> anyone can see d-programming-languge.org in the colors he likes most.
> 
> 

May 25, 2006
"nick" <nick.atamas@gmail.com> wrote in message news:e51001$198f$1@digitaldaemon.com...
>I like it! I think your colors are more appropriate than mine.
> I have attached matching c, d, and quote.
>
> In theory it is possible to make the header items scale better (make the items always fill the box as the font size is changed). To do this, you can try specifying item dimensions in terms of em units instead of %. However, most sites out there don't bother with this. It's just a personal schizoid item on my checklist.
>

Requesting the use of 'em' is definitely a good thing. As typical screen resolutions are ranging from 800 to 2k+ pixels in width, em is the only way to ensure that web pages will display in a similar manner on most screens.

I'd stay away from 'px' as much as I can .....   ;-)

May 26, 2006
Bob W wrote:
> Requesting the use of 'em' is definitely a good thing. As typical screen resolutions are ranging from 800 to 2k+ pixels in width, em is the only way to ensure that web pages will display in a similar manner on most screens.
> 
> I'd stay away from 'px' as much as I can .....   ;-)
I wish there was a way to associate window width with base font size. That would be ideal. You could make the website resize along with the window without re-wrapping the text. This goes along with the idea that there is an ideal line width (in number of characters) for reading.
May 27, 2006
> And for style, it will be nice to introduce 'max-width' property for content block, so it won't stretch too much on big screens. Perhaps in em's to scale with text.

No! That's a fine way to screw up a site for those of us using higher resolutions.
May 30, 2006
Tiberiu Gal wrote:
> hello again,
<snip>

Only CSS?  Seemed doubtful from the start, and now I see indeed that you've used XHTML as well.

And that you haven't got round to validating yet....

A few more nitpicks:

1. The "sesarch" [sic] link isn't going to work if the user disables JS.  Turn it back into a button.

2. Why is there an alternative stylesheet called "Printer"?  And I can't see the difference between the two stylesheets at the moment....

Stewart.
1 2
Next ›   Last »