default initializers
Apr 08, 2005
imr1984
Apr 08, 2005
Thomas Kuehne
Apr 08, 2005
Walter
April 08, 2005
can we have a command line option to turn the code that creates the defautl initializing of variables OFF? I personally never rely on it - I always initialize my variables explicitly if I know that they are going to be read from right away; and I worry that this implicit initialization would be inneficient

April 08, 2005
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

imr1984 schrieb am Fri, 8 Apr 2005 08:45:21 +0000 (UTC):
> can we have a command line option to turn the code that creates the defautl initializing of variables OFF? I personally never rely on it - I always initialize my variables explicitly if I know that they are going to be read from right away; and I worry that this implicit initialization would be inneficient

Maybe support for "-Wuninitialized" and correct dataflow analysis in the compiler to remove unrequired initialization is better.

(1) from:
# int i;
# i = 2;

(1) to:
# int i = 2;

(2) from:
# char[2] arr;
# char[0]='a';
# char[1]='b';

(2) to:
# int[2] arr = ['a', 'b'];

TODO:
* can turn out quite compilcated for some flowcharts - e.g. Object
initializers
* requires additon of _d_new... without the use of memset to the GC

Thomas

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iD8DBQFCVkuu3w+/yD4P9tIRAmVuAJsEPS/sqoTZxv5TYsRLXPfAB1s/xQCeLXwn
4Zxr2YNTzt7IHeugq53oS0I=
=mVzl
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
April 08, 2005
"imr1984" <imr1984_member@pathlink.com> wrote in message news:d35gb1$1uhf$1@digitaldaemon.com...
> can we have a command line option to turn the code that creates the
defautl
> initializing of variables OFF? I personally never rely on it - I always initialize my variables explicitly if I know that they are going to be
read from
> right away; and I worry that this implicit initialization would be
inneficient

The optimizer will eliminate most redundant initializations, so there shouldn't be much of any efficiency problem.