February 05, 2007
After a few weeks of porting I'm in a position where I'm looking for tips on the following if possible?

Is there any libs out there that can help benchmark programs? I'm looking for approaches to benchmarking speed and memory. I'm sure there are various ways of approaching both, but has there been a community based solution that seems to be considered the norm?

I'm on windows, and have access to a couple of Linux boxes to check on both as I go. Would like to have an OS independent solution if possible.

Since the compiler decides what to inline I would like to ask for tips on how to approach encouragement of inlining. I know that specific approaches will be hard to do without code to reference, just in general.. has there been any approaches that you've picked up developing in D, knowing that the compiler will inline?

I'm at the point where I would like to look into delving into micro benchmarks for the code I've written but I would like to look into having a framework of doing benchmarks across all of my code.

So I'm soliciting input, and hopefully create dialog (I'll be sure to collect approaches and throw them on prowiki once it's all out there)

Thanks!

Robby