Brad Roberts
May 23, 2007
Bill Baxter
May 23, 2007
Brad Roberts
May 26, 2007
Jan Claeys
February 27, 2007
It's time to get serious about organizing the first of what will hopefully be many conferences dedicated to D.  There's a lot of questions to be asked and answered, choices to be made, and things to organized.

1) Where can we hold the event?
  2) Who's going to organize everything?
  3) How many days should it be?
  4) How many people will be able to attend?
  5) How many people will volunteer to present on some topic?
  6) Lodging?  Where?  Cost?
  ... and bound to be a couple dozen more.

I can answer the first two finally, and take a stab at the others.

Where?  My employer, Amazon.com, has generously agreed to let me host it in our conference rooms.  So, we have as much space as we need (unless I'm grossly under-estimating things).

When?  I haven't yet secured the conference rooms for any specific dates, but planning far enough out I don't anticipate any problems. Depending on the number of participants and presentations, I propose it be held on either a Friday or a Thursday and Friday.  To give us sufficient time to organize things, let's shoot for August 23 through September 28; any one of those weeks.  IE, Aug 23-24, Aug 30-31, Sept 6-7, Sept 13-14, Sept 20-21, or Sept 27-28.  If there's a date that suits those of you who can attend, please let me know.  The first date overlaps with another conference here in Seattle that might appeal to some of you, http://www.pennyarcadeexpo.com/.  While that conference isn't free, it's darned near free ($40 for a three day pass right now).

Length: one or two days?  That's entirely driven by how many of you can attend and are volunteering to speak to a room full of fellow developers.  I really hope that there's enough of both that we can fill two days to make the trip worth more.

I don't know if I can take advantage of Amazon's negotiated hotel rates.  Depending on the number of attendees we might be able to negotiate our own rates at a nearby hotel.  Group discounts will help keep things cheaper.

So.. I've set the reply-to to me, and followup-to to digitalmars.D. Let's keep discussion out of the announce newsgroup.  If you'd like to be a presenter, please send me a quick abstract / description.  If you intend to attend, please let me know which dates work best for you. I'll summarize the results to narrow down the exact dates.

- Brad
February 27, 2007
Sorry, normally I post from the mailing list.  This was my first post via a newsreader so I could set those followup-to's and apparently I'd never setup my email address.  This really was from me.

Later,
Brad

user@domain.invalid wrote:
> It's time to get serious about organizing the first of what will hopefully be many conferences dedicated to D.  There's a lot of questions to be asked and answered, choices to be made, and things to organized.
> 
>   1) Where can we hold the event?
>   2) Who's going to organize everything?
>   3) How many days should it be?
>   4) How many people will be able to attend?
>   5) How many people will volunteer to present on some topic?
>   6) Lodging?  Where?  Cost?
>   ... and bound to be a couple dozen more.
> 
> I can answer the first two finally, and take a stab at the others.
> 
> Where?  My employer, Amazon.com, has generously agreed to let me host it in our conference rooms.  So, we have as much space as we need (unless I'm grossly under-estimating things).
> 
> When?  I haven't yet secured the conference rooms for any specific dates, but planning far enough out I don't anticipate any problems. Depending on the number of participants and presentations, I propose it be held on either a Friday or a Thursday and Friday.  To give us sufficient time to organize things, let's shoot for August 23 through September 28; any one of those weeks.  IE, Aug 23-24, Aug 30-31, Sept 6-7, Sept 13-14, Sept 20-21, or Sept 27-28.  If there's a date that suits those of you who can attend, please let me know.  The first date overlaps with another conference here in Seattle that might appeal to some of you, http://www.pennyarcadeexpo.com/.  While that conference isn't free, it's darned near free ($40 for a three day pass right now).
> 
> Length: one or two days?  That's entirely driven by how many of you can attend and are volunteering to speak to a room full of fellow developers.  I really hope that there's enough of both that we can fill two days to make the trip worth more.
> 
> I don't know if I can take advantage of Amazon's negotiated hotel rates.  Depending on the number of attendees we might be able to negotiate our own rates at a nearby hotel.  Group discounts will help keep things cheaper.
> 
> So.. I've set the reply-to to me, and followup-to to digitalmars.D. Let's keep discussion out of the announce newsgroup.  If you'd like to be a presenter, please send me a quick abstract / description.  If you intend to attend, please let me know which dates work best for you. I'll summarize the results to narrow down the exact dates.
> 
> - Brad

February 28, 2007
Brad Roberts wrote:
> Sorry, normally I post from the mailing list.  This was my first post via a newsreader so I could set those followup-to's and apparently I'd never setup my email address.  This really was from me.
> 
> Later,
> Brad
> 
> user@domain.invalid wrote:
>> It's time to get serious about organizing the first of what will hopefully be many conferences dedicated to D.  There's a lot of questions to be asked and answered, choices to be made, and things to organized.
>>
>>   1) Where can we hold the event?
>>   2) Who's going to organize everything?
>>   3) How many days should it be?
>>   4) How many people will be able to attend?
>>   5) How many people will volunteer to present on some topic?
>>   6) Lodging?  Where?  Cost?
>>   ... and bound to be a couple dozen more.
>>
>> I can answer the first two finally, and take a stab at the others.
>>
>> Where?  My employer, Amazon.com, has generously agreed to let me host it in our conference rooms.  So, we have as much space as we need (unless I'm grossly under-estimating things).
>>
>> When?  I haven't yet secured the conference rooms for any specific dates, but planning far enough out I don't anticipate any problems. Depending on the number of participants and presentations, I propose it be held on either a Friday or a Thursday and Friday.  To give us sufficient time to organize things, let's shoot for August 23 through September 28; any one of those weeks.  IE, Aug 23-24, Aug 30-31, Sept 6-7, Sept 13-14, Sept 20-21, or Sept 27-28.  If there's a date that suits those of you who can attend, please let me know.  The first date overlaps with another conference here in Seattle that might appeal to some of you, http://www.pennyarcadeexpo.com/.  While that conference isn't free, it's darned near free ($40 for a three day pass right now).
>>
>> Length: one or two days?  That's entirely driven by how many of you can attend and are volunteering to speak to a room full of fellow developers.  I really hope that there's enough of both that we can fill two days to make the trip worth more.
>>
>> I don't know if I can take advantage of Amazon's negotiated hotel rates.  Depending on the number of attendees we might be able to negotiate our own rates at a nearby hotel.  Group discounts will help keep things cheaper.
>>
>> So.. I've set the reply-to to me, and followup-to to digitalmars.D. Let's keep discussion out of the announce newsgroup.  If you'd like to be a presenter, please send me a quick abstract / description.  If you intend to attend, please let me know which dates work best for you. I'll summarize the results to narrow down the exact dates.
>>
>> - Brad
> 

There's gotta be some sort of free online tool to work this out. Something like www.meetup.com but perhaps more on matching up times.

-Joel
April 27, 2007
It's been way too long since my last update on the D conference front. I've procured the space, cajoled a few people into speaking, and put together a quick website:

http://d.puremagic.com/conference2007/

If you will be attending, please click on the registration link.  There isn't an entrance fee or anything like that, but I do need to get a fairly accurate count of who will be attending.

I'm looking forward to seeing you all there.. mark your calendars, August 23 and 24, 2007.

Later,
Brad
April 27, 2007
It's pretty sad to be so far away :'(
I know I'll be there some day...

How I envy the people that can attend... (in the good way)

Kind regards,
--
Tom;
(Tomás Rossi)

Brad Roberts escribió:
> It's been way too long since my last update on the D conference front. I've procured the space, cajoled a few people into speaking, and put together a quick website:
> 
>     http://d.puremagic.com/conference2007/
> 
> If you will be attending, please click on the registration link.  There isn't an entrance fee or anything like that, but I do need to get a fairly accurate count of who will be attending.
> 
> I'm looking forward to seeing you all there.. mark your calendars, August 23 and 24, 2007.
> 
> Later,
> Brad
April 27, 2007
On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 20:40:57 -0700, Brad Roberts wrote:

> It's been way too long since my last update on the D conference front. I've procured the space, cajoled a few people into speaking, and put together a quick website:
> 
>      http://d.puremagic.com/conference2007/
> 
> If you will be attending, please click on the registration link.  There isn't an entrance fee or anything like that, but I do need to get a fairly accurate count of who will be attending.
> 
> I'm looking forward to seeing you all there.. mark your calendars, August 23 and 24, 2007.

Sadly (very sadly) I cannot attend due to costs of getting there. There is no way I can go to the U.S. without my family wanting to also tag along <G> and that bumps the cost to at least $10,000USD. And as good as the conference will be, ... well you get the picture.

-- 
Derek
(skype: derek.j.parnell)
Melbourne, Australia
"Justice for David Hicks!"
27/04/2007 2:14:25 PM
April 27, 2007
Brad Roberts wrote:

> 
>      http://d.puremagic.com/conference2007/
> 
> 
> 
> Later,
> Brad

Sounds like a lot of fun.  When would you want to know by?  Also, when would you post the activity schedule? It'd be nice to know exactly when things are happening to know which nights to stay and when to fly in/out.

It's a non-trivial amount of money and time for a broke, overworked college student like myself, but I might be able to pull it off.  Put me down for a definate maybe!

-- 
~John Demme
me@teqdruid.com
http://www.teqdruid.com/
April 27, 2007
John Demme wrote:
> Brad Roberts wrote:
> 
>> It's been way too long since my last update on the D conference front.
>> I've procured the space, cajoled a few people into speaking, and put
>> together a quick website:
>>
>>      http://d.puremagic.com/conference2007/
>>
>> If you will be attending, please click on the registration link.  There
>> isn't an entrance fee or anything like that, but I do need to get a
>> fairly accurate count of who will be attending.
>>
>> I'm looking forward to seeing you all there.. mark your calendars,
>> August 23 and 24, 2007.
>>
>> Later,
>> Brad
> 
> Sounds like a lot of fun.  When would you want to know by?  Also, when would
> you post the activity schedule? It'd be nice to know exactly when things
> are happening to know which nights to stay and when to fly in/out.
> 
> It's a non-trivial amount of money and time for a broke, overworked college
> student like myself, but I might be able to pull it off.  Put me down for a
> definate maybe!
> 

I know how you feel.  I managed to sell my wife on the idea, but it's still an expense for us.

Orbitz seems to have some decent packages available.  It looks like the lowest they'll go is around $400 for two people + hotel out of BWI*, which isn't bad, but you'll have to factor in cab money.  The prices are only another $50 for the whole week.  For some odd reason, rates are about the same for just one person.

But add a typical per-diem for two folks, plus transportation cash and that works out to a cool grand or so.  Not bad, but not cheap either.

(BWI has a shuttle service that costs some.  You could get a lift to Tacoma Park or Silver Spring Metro and take a flight out of National for a little less.)

-- 
- EricAnderton at yahoo
April 27, 2007
Brad Roberts wrote:
> 
>     http://d.puremagic.com/conference2007/
> 
> 
> 
> Later,
> Brad

If all goes well and my car doesn't die on me, this summer I'm planning on taking a long road trip.

MN --> Colorado --> California --> Seattle --> MN

If I don't know 100%, should I still sign up?

~ Clay
April 27, 2007
Clay Smith wrote:
> Brad Roberts wrote:
>> It's been way too long since my last update on the D conference front. I've procured the space, cajoled a few people into speaking, and put together a quick website:
>>
>>     http://d.puremagic.com/conference2007/
>>
>> If you will be attending, please click on the registration link.  There isn't an entrance fee or anything like that, but I do need to get a fairly accurate count of who will be attending.
>>
>> I'm looking forward to seeing you all there.. mark your calendars, August 23 and 24, 2007.
>>
>> Later,
>> Brad
> 
> If all goes well and my car doesn't die on me, this summer I'm planning on taking a long road trip.
> 
> MN --> Colorado --> California --> Seattle --> MN
> 
> If I don't know 100%, should I still sign up?
> 
> ~ Clay

Well, there are certainly worse ways to get there.  I present to the DNG, for your reading pleasure, the Penny-Arcade Expo Cross-Country Supertrip schedule:

http://www.ccsupertrip.org/schedule.html

It takes all week, and you'll get there really late on the 23rd.  Just talk about how much you love Halo the whole time and nobody will suspect a thing.

-- 
- EricAnderton at yahoo
« First   ‹ Prev
1 2 3