Manfred Nowak
Jun 07, 2007
Simen Haugen
Jun 07, 2007
Regan Heath
Jun 08, 2007
Simen Haugen
June 07, 2007
I just encountered a strange bug that I'm having problems reproducing as a test case.

I used an associative array to store some data lengths, and in my code, I was accessing an element not in the array. In debug mode, this code did not fire ArrayBoundsError and worked (returning 0 I guess), but in release mode it crashed. Any ideas why this might have happend?

June 07, 2007
Simen Haugen schrieb am 2007-06-07:
> I just encountered a strange bug that I'm having problems reproducing as a test case.
>
> I used an associative array to store some data lengths, and in my code, I was accessing an element not in the array. In debug mode, this code did not fire ArrayBoundsError and worked (returning 0 I guess), but in release mode it crashed. Any ideas why this might have happend?

Did you check that "invariant", "unittest" and "in/out" of in/out/body have no side effects appart from debugging output?

"aa[non_existant]" should allways throw an exception however "non_existant in aa" simply returns null.

Thomas

June 07, 2007
Thomas Kuehne wrote

> Did you check that

same for asserts.

-manfred
June 07, 2007
"Thomas Kuehne" <thomas-dloop@kuehne.cn> wrote in message news:slrnf6gb6a.coh.thomas-
> Did you check that "invariant", "unittest" and "in/out" of in/out/body have no side effects appart from debugging output?

Yes.

> "aa[non_existant]" should allways throw an exception however "non_existant in aa" simply returns null.

Yes. The problem is that the exception wasnt raised in the debug build.

June 07, 2007
Simen Haugen Wrote:
> I just encountered a strange bug that I'm having problems reproducing as a test case.
> 
> I used an associative array to store some data lengths, and in my code, I was accessing an element not in the array. In debug mode, this code did not fire ArrayBoundsError and worked (returning 0 I guess), but in release mode it crashed. Any ideas why this might have happend?

Was the key to the AA a char[] and do you .dup the key when you store values?  If not, is it possible that you have modified the char[] you used for the key, this can have some unexpected results and behaviour.

That's all I can think of.

Regan Heath
June 08, 2007
No, its an int[int] array

"Regan Heath" <regan@netmail.co.nz> wrote in message news:f4a2jm$7u2$1@digitalmars.com...
> Simen Haugen Wrote:
>> I just encountered a strange bug that I'm having problems reproducing as
>> a
>> test case.
>>
>> I used an associative array to store some data lengths, and in my code, I
>> was accessing an element not in the array. In debug mode, this code did
>> not
>> fire ArrayBoundsError and worked (returning 0 I guess), but in release
>> mode
>> it crashed. Any ideas why this might have happend?
>
> Was the key to the AA a char[] and do you .dup the key when you store values?  If not, is it possible that you have modified the char[] you used for the key, this can have some unexpected results and behaviour.
>
> That's all I can think of.
>
> Regan Heath