February 09, 2008
Integrated builder (DSSS would be great).

Tom;

Ary Borenszweig escribió:
February 15, 2008
Start autocompletion as soon as I start typing. I'm pretty much always going to be typing a type name, function name, or variable name, so why not offer suggestions immediately?

Have an option to accept autocompletion suggestions as soon as a character is entered that can separate the current token -- whitespace, a dot, equals sign, that sort of thing.

These two will save a very large amount of typing.

Additionally, offering a way to resolve imports based on types used would be good. I know I want a Time struct, but I don't recall whether I get it from tango.core or tango.util or maybe they've moved it this release.

An efficient keyboard shortcut for goto inheritor/base/implementation for a method or type.

A template mechanism, so I can click new -> from template -> my custom template, enter a name, and have a new module instantiated from the template.

Essentially, I want Resharper.
February 15, 2008
Descent has all of this already.

Christopher Wright wrote:
> Start autocompletion as soon as I start typing. I'm pretty much always going to be typing a type name, function name, or variable name, so why not offer suggestions immediately?

You have to press control-space to get it, but if you type "n" and have a local variable called "name", that will be suggested. Maybe we should add an option to pop up the suggestion box immediately.

> 
> Have an option to accept autocompletion suggestions as soon as a character is entered that can separate the current token -- whitespace, a dot, equals sign, that sort of thing.

Descent just has this with dot, everything else you need to press control-space.

> 
> These two will save a very large amount of typing.
> 
> Additionally, offering a way to resolve imports based on types used would be good. I know I want a Time struct, but I don't recall whether I get it from tango.core or tango.util or maybe they've moved it this release.

Yup, got that. Start typing Time control-space up the autocomplete, choose the suggestion, and the import is automatically added. Good times ensue.

> 
> An efficient keyboard shortcut for goto inheritor/base/implementation for a method or type.

Control-click on it.

> 
> A template mechanism, so I can click new -> from template -> my custom template, enter a name, and have a new module instantiated from the template.

Been in Descent for a while... sort of. A more robust templating mechanism is probably in order, though.

> 
> Essentially, I want Resharper.
February 15, 2008
Christopher Wright escribió:
> Start autocompletion as soon as I start typing. I'm pretty much always going to be typing a type name, function name, or variable name, so why not offer suggestions immediately?
> 
> Have an option to accept autocompletion suggestions as soon as a character is entered that can separate the current token -- whitespace, a dot, equals sign, that sort of thing.

Visual Studio does that, and at least for me it becomes annoying some times. This is so because autocompletion is not perfect, and can't always be perfect (unless it reads your mind), so suggestions may be wrong, and you end up canceling the suggestions popup and then start typing. For example, say foo is of an enum type:

foo = // <-- will suggest automatically enum values

But maybe I want to assign a variable to foo, not a constant enum value.

Although I think it's a good idea to have it as an option, but I don't know if that can be done in Eclipse. Maybe you should try putting all the letters and symbols in the characteres textbox that triggers the autocompletion? :-)

> 
> These two will save a very large amount of typing.
> 
> Additionally, offering a way to resolve imports based on types used would be good. I know I want a Time struct, but I don't recall whether I get it from tango.core or tango.util or maybe they've moved it this release.
> 
> An efficient keyboard shortcut for goto inheritor/base/implementation for a method or type.

For go to definition you can also use F3. For what you are asking for, we first need to implement type hierarchies, and for type hierarchies we need to implement the searching functionality, so it'll take some time...

> 
> A template mechanism, so I can click new -> from template -> my custom template, enter a name, and have a new module instantiated from the template.
> 
> Essentially, I want Resharper.
February 15, 2008
Robert Fraser wrote:
> Descent has all of this already.

I just started using it yesterday, so forgive my ignorance.

> Christopher Wright wrote:
>> Start autocompletion as soon as I start typing. I'm pretty much always going to be typing a type name, function name, or variable name, so why not offer suggestions immediately?
> 
> You have to press control-space to get it, but if you type "n" and have a local variable called "name", that will be suggested. Maybe we should add an option to pop up the suggestion box immediately.

I would certainly appreciate that, though a lot of people would kvetch if that were the default. I knew that Eclipse allowed for ctrl-space to force autocompletion.

>>
>> Have an option to accept autocompletion suggestions as soon as a character is entered that can separate the current token -- whitespace, a dot, equals sign, that sort of thing.
> 
> Descent just has this with dot, everything else you need to press control-space.

Okay. So it shouldn't be too hard to do this, if I want to patch Descent.

>> These two will save a very large amount of typing.
>>
>> Additionally, offering a way to resolve imports based on types used would be good. I know I want a Time struct, but I don't recall whether I get it from tango.core or tango.util or maybe they've moved it this release.
> 
> Yup, got that. Start typing Time control-space up the autocomplete, choose the suggestion, and the import is automatically added. Good times ensue.

Groovy.

>> An efficient keyboard shortcut for goto inheritor/base/implementation for a method or type.
> 
> Control-click on it.

And inheritor or base? And a keyboard shortcut?

>> A template mechanism, so I can click new -> from template -> my custom template, enter a name, and have a new module instantiated from the template.
> 
> Been in Descent for a while... sort of. A more robust templating mechanism is probably in order, though.
> 
>>
>> Essentially, I want Resharper.
February 15, 2008
Ary Borenszweig wrote:
> Visual Studio does that, and at least for me it becomes annoying some times. This is so because autocompletion is not perfect, and can't always be perfect (unless it reads your mind), so suggestions may be wrong, and you end up canceling the suggestions popup and then start typing. For example, say foo is of an enum type:
> 
> foo = // <-- will suggest automatically enum values
> 
> But maybe I want to assign a variable to foo, not a constant enum value.

Then there'd be multiple matches, and the completion shouldn't insert one automatically.

> Although I think it's a good idea to have it as an option, but I don't know if that can be done in Eclipse. Maybe you should try putting all the letters and symbols in the characteres textbox that triggers the autocompletion? :-)

I can enter a maximum of four characters into that box, so no.

>> An efficient keyboard shortcut for goto inheritor/base/implementation for a method or type.
> 
> For go to definition you can also use F3. For what you are asking for, we first need to implement type hierarchies, and for type hierarchies we need to implement the searching functionality, so it'll take some time...

Understood.
February 17, 2008
For me, a very important feature is to be able to build (with jump-to- error) using a tool of my choice. The IDE needs to separate building from its own needs of where to find things. Of course, it needs to have a "default" build tool (like dsss for example).
February 17, 2008
Not exactly important but cool:

a pile of math tools

"Math view", hover over an equation and the IDE format's it as an equation (like in TeX)
"Convert to TeX", take an equation (selected or copied) and transform it into TeX probably on the clipboard.
The other way" copy an equation out of some tex source (or OCR/read it out of a doc/pdf/ps) and generate a D expression of it.
same thing for other syntax.
"equation manipulator" performs, valid math operations (factor, distribute in/out, etc.)

Fix errors: when a compile error is highlighted, put some common fixes in the right click menu (add semicolon, add cast, etc)

March 24, 2008
Christopher Wright wrote:
>>> An efficient keyboard shortcut for goto inheritor/base/implementation for a method or type.
>>
>> Control-click on it.
> 
> And inheritor or base? And a keyboard shortcut?
> 

If you're talking about the type and method hierarchy features, which you seem to be, that feature is not yet implement. But if it was, the keyboard shortcut would be Ctrl-T, same as JDT.

-- 
Bruno Medeiros - MSc in CS/E student
http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?BrunoMedeiros#D
1 2 3 4
Next ›   Last »