Frank Benoit
Aug 04, 2008
sleek
Aug 04, 2008
Frank Benoit
Aug 04, 2008
sleek
August 04, 2008
I'm trying to manipulate the text on a button in my shell, but no matter what I try, I continue to get:

object.Exception: Access Violation

The code I'm attempting to run is attached. Can anyone take a look and shed some light on what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

August 04, 2008
sleek schrieb:
> I'm trying to manipulate the text on a button in my shell, but no matter what I try, I continue to get:
> 
> object.Exception: Access Violation
> 
> The code I'm attempting to run is attached. Can anyone take a look and shed some light on what I'm doing wrong? Thanks! 
> 
> 

The documentation of SWT says for most widgets:
IMPORTANT: This class is not intended to be subclassed.

So do not subclass Shell, instead use it as a member variable.

But the access violation is caused by accessing a local variable from your startStopButton selection listener. The initComponents method is finished long before the listener is called. So the "startStopButton" variable do no more exist. Make this variable a member var of the MainWindow class.

August 04, 2008
Aha!  dgListener!!! I did not notice that this existed. Using it seems to have solved my problem. Is this documented somewhere on the DWT site?

"sleek" <cslush@gmail.com> wrote in message news:g75l5i$1i62$1@digitalmars.com...
> I'm trying to manipulate the text on a button in my shell, but no matter what I try, I continue to get:
>
>
> The code I'm attempting to run is attached. Can anyone take a look and shed some light on what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!
>
> 

August 04, 2008
The startStopButton is a member variable. I am just initializing it in the initComponents method. Thanks for the info about not sub-classing Shell. I'm used to writing Swing code where normally you extend most widgets.

"Frank Benoit" <keinfarbton@googlemail.com> wrote in message news:g75m35$1jot$1@digitalmars.com...
> sleek schrieb:
>> I'm trying to manipulate the text on a button in my shell, but no matter what I try, I continue to get:
>>
>> object.Exception: Access Violation
>>
>> The code I'm attempting to run is attached. Can anyone take a look and shed some light on what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!
>
> The documentation of SWT says for most widgets:
> IMPORTANT: This class is not intended to be subclassed.
>
> So do not subclass Shell, instead use it as a member variable.
>
> But the access violation is caused by accessing a local variable from your startStopButton selection listener. The initComponents method is finished long before the listener is called. So the "startStopButton" variable do no more exist. Make this variable a member var of the MainWindow class.
>
>
> 

August 04, 2008
sleek schrieb:
> Aha!  dgListener!!! I did not notice that this existed. Using it seems to have solved my problem. Is this documented somewhere on the DWT site?
> 

Now it is mentioned here:
http://www.dsource.org/projects/dwt/wiki/DiffToOriginal#ThingsaddedorchangedinDWT:
August 04, 2008
sleek schrieb:
> The startStopButton is a member variable. 

hm, i missed that. I was too much expecting this problem :)
This looks like a compiler bug to me.
August 04, 2008
sleek schrieb:
> 
> 
> 
> 
Hm, in the hope of locating a compiler bug, i tested your code. And it worked for me.
August 04, 2008
I'll definitely try and take another look at it. I'm using the compiler and libraries from the Easy-D install, so maybe that's the issue?

"Frank Benoit" <keinfarbton@googlemail.com> wrote in message news:g75scg$1v22$1@digitalmars.com...
> sleek schrieb:
>> I'm trying to manipulate the text on a button in my shell, but no matter what I try, I continue to get:
>>
>> object.Exception: Access Violation
>>
>> The code I'm attempting to run is attached. Can anyone take a look and shed some light on what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!
> Hm, in the hope of locating a compiler bug, i tested your code. And it worked for me.

August 04, 2008
sleek schrieb:
> I'll definitely try and take another look at it. I'm using the compiler and libraries from the Easy-D install, so maybe that's the issue?
> 

According to http://www.fsdev.net/versions/show/7
DMD 1.030 is included there.
This version has a bug with anonymous classes, like that one used in your code.
Using DMD 1.033 should solve this.

On http://www.dsource.org/projects/dwt/wiki/Requirements I have listed the current supported compiler(s).

To update, it is sufficient to overwrite the dmd.exe with the newer version.

August 04, 2008
Very cool. Thanks for the update. I'll upgrade now

"Frank Benoit" <keinfarbton@googlemail.com> wrote in message news:g773n1$12uu$1@digitalmars.com...
> sleek schrieb:
>> I'll definitely try and take another look at it. I'm using the compiler and libraries from the Easy-D install, so maybe that's the issue?
>>
>
> According to http://www.fsdev.net/versions/show/7
> DMD 1.030 is included there.
> This version has a bug with anonymous classes, like that one used in your
> code.
> Using DMD 1.033 should solve this.
>
> On http://www.dsource.org/projects/dwt/wiki/Requirements I have listed the current supported compiler(s).
>
> To update, it is sufficient to overwrite the dmd.exe with the newer version.
>