Property and method groups
Jul 31, 2009
Sjoerd van Leent
Jul 31, 2009
Sjoerd van Leent
Jul 31, 2009
Jesse Phillips
July 31, 2009
It appears that there are really different discussions about properties. There is a discussion about letting properties look and act as much as fields, and there is a discussion about calling member methods on returning structs.

I'd like to seperate these discussions. First, I don't think it is wise to call a member on a returning struct, because of the expectation that the underlying object knows about the change. Thus is not true for a struct.

What I want to talk about is a completely different approach to the a.b.c problem, and with that I just make my own proposal, that is completely different from any other, which I call groups.

Suppose we have a rather big class with many methods and properties, this could come in handy. My idea is to introduce groups, in some ways similar to the idea of namespaces.

class A
{
   group bar
   {
      int foo()
      {
         return 123;
      }
      void foo(int i)
      {
         // do something spectacular
      }
   }
}

This could be called as:

auto o = new A();
auto i = o.bar.foo;
o.bar.foo = 123;

Fun thing about groups is that it is much more flexible. For example, basic and advanced methods can be separated, etc.

Just my 2 cents
July 31, 2009
On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 5:37 AM, Sjoerd van Leent<svanleent@gmail.com> wrote:
> It appears that there are really different discussions about properties. There is a discussion about letting properties look and act as much as fields, and there is a discussion about calling member methods on returning structs.
>
> I'd like to seperate these discussions. First, I don't think it is wise to call a member on a returning struct, because of the expectation that the underlying object knows about the change. Thus is not true for a struct.
>
> What I want to talk about is a completely different approach to the a.b.c problem, and with that I just make my own proposal, that is completely different from any other, which I call groups.
>
> Suppose we have a rather big class with many methods and properties, this could come in handy. My idea is to introduce groups, in some ways similar to the idea of namespaces.
>
> class A
> {
>   group bar
>   {
>      int foo()
>      {
>         return 123;
>      }
>      void foo(int i)
>      {
>         // do something spectacular
>      }
>   }
> }
>
> This could be called as:
>
> auto o = new A();
> auto i = o.bar.foo;
> o.bar.foo = 123;
>
> Fun thing about groups is that it is much more flexible. For example, basic and advanced methods can be separated, etc.

Man, it's 2006 all over again!

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/41903.html#N41905

And that thread was about - oh boy - properties.  ;)
July 31, 2009
Jarrett Billingsley Wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 5:37 AM, Sjoerd van Leent<svanleent@gmail.com> wrote:
> > It appears that there are really different discussions about properties. There is a discussion about letting properties look and act as much as fields, and there is a discussion about calling member methods on returning structs.
> >
> > I'd like to seperate these discussions. First, I don't think it is wise to call a member on a returning struct, because of the expectation that the underlying object knows about the change. Thus is not true for a struct.
> >
> > What I want to talk about is a completely different approach to the a.b.c problem, and with that I just make my own proposal, that is completely different from any other, which I call groups.
> >
> > Suppose we have a rather big class with many methods and properties, this could come in handy. My idea is to introduce groups, in some ways similar to the idea of namespaces.
> >
> > class A
> > {
> >   group bar
> >   {
> >      int foo()
> >      {
> >         return 123;
> >      }
> >      void foo(int i)
> >      {
> >         // do something spectacular
> >      }
> >   }
> > }
> >
> > This could be called as:
> >
> > auto o = new A();
> > auto i = o.bar.foo;
> > o.bar.foo = 123;
> >
> > Fun thing about groups is that it is much more flexible. For example, basic and advanced methods can be separated, etc.
> 
> Man, it's 2006 all over again!
> 
> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/41903.html#N41905
> 
> And that thread was about - oh boy - properties.  ;)

It's nice to be repetitive and say the same things that should've been implemented in D1 already. :-)
July 31, 2009
On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 05:37:50 -0400, Sjoerd van Leent wrote:

> It appears that there are really different discussions about properties. There is a discussion about letting properties look and act as much as fields, and there is a discussion about calling member methods on returning structs.
> 
> I'd like to seperate these discussions. First, I don't think it is wise to call a member on a returning struct, because of the expectation that the underlying object knows about the change. Thus is not true for a struct.

Sounds to me like you missed the beginning of the discussion:

http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php? art_group=digitalmars.D&article_id=94225