Jul 23, 2009
Jacob Carlborg
Aug 13, 2009
Chris
Aug 15, 2009
Vincenzo Ampolo
July 21, 2009
Hi all,

I've just uploaded a new version of Descent that has several performance and memory usage improvements. That's the main feature of this small release.

Also the lexer, parser and semantic analysis now have version 1.043, and the lexer and parser 2.030 (no final switch nor case range). But the semantic analysis for D2 is still not finished. If anyone would like to help, it'll be appreciated. It's just about porting code from C++ to Java. Maybe I'll finish that in two or three months, but if others help it could be finished earlier.

Other things in this small version are:
 * Aliases show ok in the UI (sometimes you'd hover over a parameter of type char[] and you'd see string, that doesn't happen anymore).
 * Inside variadic functions, _arguments and _argptr are suggested as completion proposals.
 * xfBuild was added to the list of external tools that allows you to jump to the line of an error. Also I corrected a bug that wouldn't allow you to jump if the path was absolute but was in a project and not in an include path.
 * length is proposed as a completion for tuple types.
 * Hovering over auto shows that type that's being deduced (only if it's not primitive).

http://dsource.org/projects/descent/
July 21, 2009
Ary Borenszweig escribió:
> Hi all,
> 
> I've just uploaded a new version of Descent that has several performance and memory usage improvements.

Umm... Actually, it contained some errors. So I fixed them and also I fixed bug #180. But while fixing it I noticed Descent was really slow in the given example. That's because I wasn't able to apply an optimization to modules that contain static ifs in the top level of a module. But thinking it a little I realized I could apply that optimization if I changed something somewhere else, so I finally made it work. Now it works very fast! You'll notice this if you are working with libraries that contain modules with lots of definitions (normally binding modules) with at least one top level static if (the WinApi bindings project is such project). This is also a performance improvement. :)

So now there's version 0.5.6.20090722.
July 23, 2009
On 7/22/09 1:07 AM, Ary Borenszweig wrote:
> Ary Borenszweig escribió:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've just uploaded a new version of Descent that has several
>> performance and memory usage improvements.
>
> Umm... Actually, it contained some errors. So I fixed them and also I
> fixed bug #180. But while fixing it I noticed Descent was really slow in
> the given example. That's because I wasn't able to apply an optimization
> to modules that contain static ifs in the top level of a module. But
> thinking it a little I realized I could apply that optimization if I
> changed something somewhere else, so I finally made it work. Now it
> works very fast! You'll notice this if you are working with libraries
> that contain modules with lots of definitions (normally binding modules)
> with at least one top level static if (the WinApi bindings project is
> such project). This is also a performance improvement. :)
>
> So now there's version 0.5.6.20090722.

As always, very much appreciated.

/Jacob Carlborg
August 13, 2009
"Ary Borenszweig"
> Hi all,
>
> I've just uploaded a new version of Descent that has several performance and memory usage improvements. That's the main feature of this small release. [...]

Thank you for your invaluable work.
As a newbie, I would appriciate if a direct link was available for
downloading Descent to use in offline installation (have a PC and some
virtual machine without internet access, and need to occasionally
reinstall).
(I googled and examined .jar file, unsuccesful...)

August 15, 2009
Chris wrote:

> As a newbie, I would appriciate if a direct link was available for downloading Descent to use in offline installation

download Eclipse, install Descent and just copy the eclipse directory to each pc you wanna use it. It's easy, isn't it? :)