December 22, 2014
On 12/21/2014 2:06 AM, Dicebot wrote:
> No, it is exactly the other way around. The very point of what I am saying is
> that you DOESN'T CARE about ownership as long as worst case scenario is
> assumed.   I have zero idea why you identify it is conflating as ownership when
> it is explicitly designed to be distinct.

The point of transitive scoping would be if the root owned the data reachable through the root.
December 22, 2014
On Monday, 22 December 2014 at 03:07:53 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 12/21/2014 2:06 AM, Dicebot wrote:
>> No, it is exactly the other way around. The very point of what I am saying is
>> that you DOESN'T CARE about ownership as long as worst case scenario is
>> assumed.   I have zero idea why you identify it is conflating as ownership when
>> it is explicitly designed to be distinct.
>
> The point of transitive scoping would be if the root owned the data reachable through the root.

Quoting myself:

> For me "scopeness" is a property of "view", not object itself - this also makes ownership method of actual data irrelevant. Only
> difference between GC owned data and stack allocated one is that
> former can have scoped view optionally but for the latter
> compiler must force it as the only available.

It doesn't matter of root owns the data. We _assume_ that as worst case scenario and allowed actions form a strict subset of allowed actions for any other ownership situation. Such `scope` for stack/GC is same as `const` for mutable/immutable  - common denominator.

Point of transitive scope is to make easy to expose complex custom data structures without breaking memory safety.
December 22, 2014
On 12/22/2014 12:04 AM, Dicebot wrote:
> Point of transitive scope is to make easy to expose complex custom data
> structures without breaking memory safety.

I do understand that. Making it work with the type system is another matter entirely - it's far more complex than just adding a qualifier. 'inout' looks simple but still has ongoing issues.

And the thing is, wrappers can be used instead of qualifiers, in the same places in the same way. It's much simpler.
December 29, 2014
On Monday, 22 December 2014 at 20:51:46 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 12/22/2014 12:04 AM, Dicebot wrote:
>> Point of transitive scope is to make easy to expose complex custom data
>> structures without breaking memory safety.
>
> I do understand that. Making it work with the type system is another matter entirely - it's far more complex than just adding a qualifier. 'inout' looks simple but still has ongoing issues.
>
> And the thing is, wrappers can be used instead of qualifiers, in the same places in the same way. It's much simpler.

Ok, lets consider some examples of code I'd want to work with wrapper approach.

Basic tree structure:

struct Node
{
    Node* left, right;
    Payload payload;
}

struct Tree
{
    Node* root;
}

Restricting public access to nodes to prevent storing persistent node pointers.

Your proposed approach:

struct Wrapper(T)
{
    scope T wrapped;
    alias wrapped this;
}

struct Node
{
    private:
        Node* _left, _right;
    public:
        auto left() @property { return Wrapper!(Node*)(_left); }
        auto right() @property { return Wrapper!(Node*)(_right); }

Payload payload;
}

struct Tree
{
    private:
        Node* _root;

public:
        auto root() @property { return Wrapper!(Node*)(_root); }
}

Am I correct?

If yes, this is exactly the breakage issue I was speaking about : any code that looked like `is(typeof(Tree.root) == Node*)` will stop working.

With my latest proposal (pseudo-transitive storage class which is not part of a type) getters would look simply like `scope Node* root() @property { return _root; }` and `is(typeof(Tree.root) == Node*)` still remained true. Only impact on existing would be restriction of operations to take address or assign a pointer.

I am pretty sure I am missing many complicated parts here but this seems like a big deal in retro-fitting existing libraries to use scope after it was added.
19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Next ›   Last »