int main() {

bool r = odd(655370);

printf("%d\n", r); // prints 0

return 0;
}

http://ideone.com/TT48zT

Why D does not work?
March 31, 2015
Mutual tail call optimisation doesn't work in C++ either.

Because it's not a language feature in C++ or D. It is not required by the standards of either language. It's an optimisation which compilers apply. I am guessing you are using DMD, which might not offer the best optimisations for runtime code, but has other benefits.

You might want to try GDC or LDC. I am not certain if they implement tail call optimisations, but they might do, and it seems like a good optimisation to have. I'm sure this has been discussed before.
March 31, 2015
On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 11:57:49 +0000, w0rp wrote:

> You might want to try GDC or LDC. I am not certain if they implement tail call optimisations, but they might do, and it seems like a good optimisation to have. I'm sure this has been discussed before.

gdc does, as this is gcc backend optimisation.

March 31, 2015
On Tuesday, 31 March 2015 at 12:01:52 UTC, ketmar wrote:
> gdc does, as this is gcc backend optimisation.

Thanks.
March 31, 2015
On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 11:57:49AM +0000, w0rp via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> Mutual tail call optimisation doesn't work in C++ either.
> 
> Because it's not a language feature in C++ or D. It is not required by the standards of either language. It's an optimisation which compilers apply. I am guessing you are using DMD, which might not offer the best optimisations for runtime code, but has other benefits.
> 
> You might want to try GDC or LDC. I am not certain if they implement tail call optimisations, but they might do, and it seems like a good optimisation to have. I'm sure this has been discussed before.

In general, if you care about performance, I highly recommend using gdc or ldc instead of dmd. Dmd's backend is not as good at optimization as gdc or ldc. For compute-intensive programs, I find that gdc -O3 consistently produces code that performs about 20% (sometimes up to 50%) better than dmd-produced code, even with all dmd optimization flags turned on.

T

-- 
MAS = Mana Ada Sistem?