Oct 15, 2015
Iain Buclaw
October 13, 2015
Where does the information
October 13, 2015
On Tuesday, 13 October 2015 at 10:09:03 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
> Where does the information

sorry, pressed enter by accident.

What is the process by which gdc knows what the default import path for object.d is?

Alternatively, what do I have to change to choose my own location for gdc to install its imports to and have it automatically use that as an import path? I have seen https://github.com/Dicebot/Arch-PKGBUILDs/blob/master/gdc/folders.diff and followed that example, but of course changing configure.ac is a pain because then you have to have exactly the right version of autoconf to update configure. Also, I couldn't find the relevant lines to change in gcc/d/Make-lang.in

Currently I tried changing gdc_include_dir in the generated configure, which gets everything installed in the right place, but gdc doesn't import it (and doesn't show any import paths in the error message)
October 14, 2015
Am Tue, 13 Oct 2015 10:16:11 +0000
schrieb John Colvin <john.loughran.colvin@gmail.com>:

> On Tuesday, 13 October 2015 at 10:09:03 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
> > Where does the information
> 
> sorry, pressed enter by accident.
> 
> What is the process by which gdc knows what the default import path for object.d is?
> 

It uses all standard C include paths (/usr/inlcude, ...) and adds /d
at the end of the path.

It might additionally add multilib path variants (/usr/include/d/32).

(In practice it's more complicated to also support 'relocated' compilers. GCC remembers the full path at compilation time but if you move the gdc executable it will replace the paths prefix. I don't remember how it works exactly.)

> Alternatively, what do I have to change to choose my own location for gdc to install its imports to and have it automatically use that as an import path? I have seen

Can't you just use --prefix when configuring? Ore use -I or the D_IMPORT_PATH environment variable?

Anyway, the code you'll have to look at is here: https://github.com/D-Programming-GDC/GDC/blob/master/gcc/d/d-incpath.cc

Look at add_import_paths, called from d_init in d-lang.cc

> https://github.com/Dicebot/Arch-PKGBUILDs/blob/master/gdc/folders.diff and followed that example, but of course changing configure.ac is a pain because then you have to have exactly the right version of autoconf to update configure. Also, I couldn't find the relevant lines to change in gcc/d/Make-lang.in

That code was refactored and the patch isn't valid anymore: https://github.com/D-Programming-GDC/GDC/commit/5ea9c2a61d548d2edb65401cbb88c88b123aef53?w=0

> 
> Currently I tried changing gdc_include_dir in the generated configure, which gets everything installed in the right place, but gdc doesn't import it (and doesn't show any import paths in the error message)

Which error message exactly? Does DMD print the import path for these errors?
October 14, 2015
On Wednesday, 14 October 2015 at 22:08:25 UTC, Johannes Pfau wrote:
> Am Tue, 13 Oct 2015 10:16:11 +0000
> schrieb John Colvin <john.loughran.colvin@gmail.com>:
>
>> On Tuesday, 13 October 2015 at 10:09:03 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
>> > Where does the information
>> 
>> sorry, pressed enter by accident.
>> 
>> What is the process by which gdc knows what the default import path for object.d is?
>> 
>
> It uses all standard C include paths (/usr/inlcude, ...) and adds /d
> at the end of the path.
>
> It might additionally add multilib path variants (/usr/include/d/32).
>
> (In practice it's more complicated to also support 'relocated' compilers. GCC remembers the full path at compilation time but if you move the gdc executable it will replace the paths prefix. I don't remember how it works exactly.)
>
>> Alternatively, what do I have to change to choose my own location for gdc to install its imports to and have it automatically use that as an import path? I have seen
>
> Can't you just use --prefix when configuring?

That deals with the prefix, but not the suffix.

> Ore use -I or the D_IMPORT_PATH environment variable?

I'm packaging GDC, so those aren't good solutions here.

> Anyway, the code you'll have to look at is here: https://github.com/D-Programming-GDC/GDC/blob/master/gcc/d/d-incpath.cc
>
> Look at add_import_paths, called from d_init in d-lang.cc
>
>
>> https://github.com/Dicebot/Arch-PKGBUILDs/blob/master/gdc/folders.diff and followed that example, but of course changing configure.ac is a pain because then you have to have exactly the right version of autoconf to update configure. Also, I couldn't find the relevant lines to change in gcc/d/Make-lang.in
>
> That code was refactored and the patch isn't valid anymore: https://github.com/D-Programming-GDC/GDC/commit/5ea9c2a61d548d2edb65401cbb88c88b123aef53?w=0

So the /d suffix is hard-coded in to gdc? Can I just patch it to be whatever I want before compiling gdc or are there other places that would also need changing?

>> 
>> Currently I tried changing gdc_include_dir in the generated configure, which gets everything installed in the right place, but gdc doesn't import it (and doesn't show any import paths in the error message)
>
> Which error message exactly? Does DMD print the import path for these errors?

I don't have the exact ones to hand right now, but it's the usual complaint about not being able to find object.d. When an import is missing, the compiler normally spits out a list of the include paths (same as in dmd, checked also with gdc on archlinux), but in this case it didn't print any.
October 15, 2015
On 15 Oct 2015 1:35 am, "John Colvin via D.gnu" <d.gnu@puremagic.com> wrote:
>
> On Wednesday, 14 October 2015 at 22:08:25 UTC, Johannes Pfau wrote:
>>
>> Am Tue, 13 Oct 2015 10:16:11 +0000
>> schrieb John Colvin <john.loughran.colvin@gmail.com>:
>>
>>> On Tuesday, 13 October 2015 at 10:09:03 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
>>> > Where does the information
>>>
>>> sorry, pressed enter by accident.
>>>
>>> What is the process by which gdc knows what the default import path for
object.d is?
>>>
>>
>> It uses all standard C include paths (/usr/inlcude, ...) and adds /d
>> at the end of the path.
>>
>> It might additionally add multilib path variants (/usr/include/d/32).
>>
>> (In practice it's more complicated to also support 'relocated'
compilers. GCC remembers the full path at compilation time but if you move the gdc executable it will replace the paths prefix. I don't remember how it works exactly.)
>>

If I recall right, it's infact all relative paths based on where the compiler driver and proper is installed.  But allows to be overriden based on compilation flags such as changing architecture.

>>> Alternatively, what do I have to change to choose my own location for
gdc to install its imports to and have it automatically use that as an import path? I have seen
>>
>>
>> Can't you just use --prefix when configuring?
>
>
> That deals with the prefix, but not the suffix.
>
>
>> Ore use -I or the D_IMPORT_PATH environment variable?
>
>
> I'm packaging GDC, so those aren't good solutions here.
>
>

Just packaging GDC? Or do you plan to have third party development libraries packaged too?

The defaults install everything into a version and multiarch specific directory.  This allows having any arbitrary number of versions installed, both native and cross compilations.  You probably want a very good reason to change that.

>> Anyway, the code you'll have to look at is here:
https://github.com/D-Programming-GDC/GDC/blob/master/gcc/d/d-incpath.cc
>>
>> Look at add_import_paths, called from d_init in d-lang.cc
>>
>>
>>> https://github.com/Dicebot/Arch-PKGBUILDs/blob/master/gdc/folders.diff
and followed that example, but of course changing configure.ac is a pain because then you have to have exactly the right version of autoconf to update configure. Also, I couldn't find the relevant lines to change in gcc/d/Make-lang.in
>>
>>
>> That code was refactored and the patch isn't valid anymore:
https://github.com/D-Programming-GDC/GDC/commit/5ea9c2a61d548d2edb65401cbb88c88b123aef53?w=0
>
>
> So the /d suffix is hard-coded in to gdc? Can I just patch it to be
whatever I want before compiling gdc or are there other places that would also need changing?
>
>
>>>
>>> Currently I tried changing gdc_include_dir in the generated configure,
which gets everything installed in the right place, but gdc doesn't import it (and doesn't show any import paths in the error message)
>>
>>
>> Which error message exactly? Does DMD print the import path for these
errors?
>
>
> I don't have the exact ones to hand right now, but it's the usual
complaint about not being able to find object.d. When an import is missing, the compiler normally spits out a list of the include paths (same as in dmd, checked also with gdc on archlinux), but in this case it didn't print any.

Probably because none of the directories the compiler looked for exists.

October 15, 2015
On Thursday, 15 October 2015 at 06:43:46 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
>
> Just packaging GDC? Or do you plan to have third party development libraries packaged too?

just GDC for now, no plans for libs at the moment.

> The defaults install everything into a version and multiarch specific directory.  This allows having any arbitrary number of versions installed, both native and cross compilations.  You probably want a very good reason to change that.
>

For me everything ends up in normal bin, lib, include, libexec and share directories under whatever I put as prefix, which `configure --help` informs me defaults to /usr/local. I only get the version/multiarch stuff as a prefix in the names of copies of the main executables in bin.

To be honest, this is all such a pain I think i'll just let gdc do whatever it wants to in a separate directory and then symlink the bits that the user actually needs access to using whatever directories and naming I want.
October 15, 2015
On 15 October 2015 at 11:16, John Colvin via D.gnu <d.gnu@puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, 15 October 2015 at 06:43:46 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
>
>>
>> Just packaging GDC? Or do you plan to have third party development libraries packaged too?
>>
>
> just GDC for now, no plans for libs at the moment.
>
> The defaults install everything into a version and multiarch specific
>> directory.  This allows having any arbitrary number of versions installed, both native and cross compilations.  You probably want a very good reason to change that.
>>
>>
> For me everything ends up in normal bin, lib, include, libexec and share directories under whatever I put as prefix, which `configure --help` informs me defaults to /usr/local. I only get the version/multiarch stuff as a prefix in the names of copies of the main executables in bin.
>
> To be honest, this is all such a pain I think i'll just let gdc do whatever it wants to in a separate directory and then symlink the bits that the user actually needs access to using whatever directories and naming I want.
>

Optionally, you can see how gcc is configured  (gcc --verbose) and use the same "Configured with" options, this is so all sysroot/prefix/etc... match up.