Yuxuan Shui
Mar 21, 2017
Jonathan M Davis
Mar 21, 2017
Yuxuan Shui
Mar 22, 2017
Jonathan M Davis
March 20, 2017
An auto ref function template should behave like a normal function template, but it doesn't.

You can fully instantiate a function template by specifying all of its template parameters, but you can't do that with auto ref templates. The only way to instantiate an auto ref template is to call it.

This makes auto ref an outlier. Because you get a function by instantiate function template, you can pass the result as template alias argument, and you can create alias of the resulting function. And you can't do that with an auto ref template, which makes them quite annoying.

I wonder why is auto ref designed this way? And can we change this?
March 20, 2017
On Monday, 20 March 2017 at 19:49:03 UTC, Yuxuan Shui wrote:
> And you can't do that with an auto ref template, which makes them quite annoying.
>

BTW, the error message you get when you try to do this, is not very helpful:

'auto' can only be used as part of 'auto ref' for template function parameters

March 20, 2017
On Monday, March 20, 2017 19:49:03 Yuxuan Shui via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> An auto ref function template should behave like a normal function template, but it doesn't.
>
> You can fully instantiate a function template by specifying all of its template parameters, but you can't do that with auto ref templates. The only way to instantiate an auto ref template is to call it.
>
> This makes auto ref an outlier. Because you get a function by instantiate function template, you can pass the result as template alias argument, and you can create alias of the resulting function. And you can't do that with an auto ref template, which makes them quite annoying.
>
> I wonder why is auto ref designed this way? And can we change this?

Well, you can explicitly instantiate it and call it at the same time, it does work. When it doesn't work is when you just try and instantiate it without calling it. And the reason is because the refness is inferred from the function argument. If the argument is an lvalue, then the parameter is inferred as ref, whereas if it's an rvalue, it's inferred as non-ref. The refness is not actually part of the type, because ref is not a type qualifier. As such, AFAIK, the language simply has no way to pass the refness as part of the explicit instantiation. In something like

auto foo(T)(auto ref T t)
{
}

the T in the template parameters has nothing to do with the ref, and in fact, you could have something like

auto foo(T)(auto ref T t1, auto ref T t2)
{
}

and end up with t1 being ref and t2 being non-ref (or vice versa or both ref or neithe ref). So, the refness would need to somehow be indicated separately from the template argument, and I have no idea what that would even look like.

So, yes, this particular restriction can be annoying, but there is a good reason for the restriction (though the error message _is_ pretty bad), and I have no idea how we would fix the problem.

- Jonathan M Davis

March 20, 2017
On Monday, March 20, 2017 13:20:52 Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> So, yes, this particular restriction can be annoying, but there is a good reason for the restriction (though the error message _is_ pretty bad), and I have no idea how we would fix the problem.

After thinking about this further, it does occur to me that there's a fairly simple workaround. e.g.

auto foo(T)(T t)
{
    return bar(t);
}

auto bar(T)(auto ref T t)
{
}

Then you can just use foo!int. Now, that requires you to pick whether it's ref or not, but if there were a way to explicitly instantiate a function with an auto ref parameter, you'd have to do that anyway.

- Jonathan M Davis

March 20, 2017
On Monday, 20 March 2017 at 21:08:40 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Monday, March 20, 2017 13:20:52 Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> So, yes, this particular restriction can be annoying, but there is a good reason for the restriction (though the error message _is_ pretty bad), and I have no idea how we would fix the problem.
>
> After thinking about this further, it does occur to me that there's a fairly simple workaround. e.g.
>
> auto foo(T)(T t)
> {
>     return bar(t);
> }
>
> auto bar(T)(auto ref T t)
> {
>     ...
> }
>
> Then you can just use foo!int. Now, that requires you to pick whether it's ref or not, but if there were a way to explicitly instantiate a function with an auto ref parameter, you'd have to do that anyway.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

This is a bit tedious because it requires you creating a new function.

Maybe we can create a template for that. But still, auto ref requires us to do things differently, which is annoying.
March 20, 2017
On Monday, 20 March 2017 at 21:34:14 UTC, Yuxuan Shui wrote:
> On Monday, 20 March 2017 at 21:08:40 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>> [...]
>
> This is a bit tedious because it requires you creating a new function.
>
> Maybe we can create a template for that. But still, auto ref requires us to do things differently, which is annoying.

Easy solution: just support auto ref for non-templates.

I think someone has already did work on that?
March 20, 2017
On Monday, March 20, 2017 21:37:26 Yuxuan Shui via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Monday, 20 March 2017 at 21:34:14 UTC, Yuxuan Shui wrote:
> > On Monday, 20 March 2017 at 21:08:40 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
> >
> > wrote:
> >> [...]
> >
> > This is a bit tedious because it requires you creating a new function.
> >
> > Maybe we can create a template for that. But still, auto ref requires us to do things differently, which is annoying.
>
> Easy solution: just support auto ref for non-templates.
>
> I think someone has already did work on that?

auto ref for non-templates would not be quite the same thing, and regardless, it wouldn't help any with explictly instantiating a template that had an auto ref parameter. So, it really wouldn't solve the problem at all. It would just make it so that if you didn't want a templated function, you could use auto ref.

But for auto ref to work with non-templated functions, it would either result in creating a combinatorial explosion of functions rather than just a single function (basically doing what auto ref does but explicitly instantiating it with every combination of refness instead of just the ones that are actually used), or it would just create a version where every auto ref parameter was ref and silently copy rvalues to the stack to pass by ref when they're passed to the function. I think that there was a PR on the issue at one point, and IIRC, the ultimate decision was to reject it and keep the status quo, because there were too many downsides it (e.g. IIRC, there were problems with overriding functions in derived classes).

I think that there was some talk semi-recently about creating a proposal for something similar to C++'s const & but which was more restrictive in order to avoid the downsides with C++'s solution, in which case we might end up with something like @rvalue ref which accepted rvalues - probably by copying them to the stack first. But I don't think that anything has been formally proposed yet. If that goes anywhere, it will probably be the closest that you'll ever get to having auto ref with non-templated functions.

- Jonathan M Davis

March 20, 2017
On Monday, 20 March 2017 at 21:53:47 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Monday, March 20, 2017 21:37:26 Yuxuan Shui via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> [...]
>
> auto ref for non-templates would not be quite the same thing, and regardless, it wouldn't help any with explictly instantiating a template that had an auto ref parameter. So, it really wouldn't solve the problem at all. It would just make it so that if you didn't want a templated function, you could use auto ref.
>
> [...]

Makes sense...

OK, attempt 2: how about support implicit partial application for templates?
>
> [...]

March 20, 2017
On Monday, March 20, 2017 22:14:37 Yuxuan Shui via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Monday, 20 March 2017 at 21:53:47 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> > On Monday, March 20, 2017 21:37:26 Yuxuan Shui via
> >
> > Digitalmars-d wrote:
> >> [...]
> >
> > auto ref for non-templates would not be quite the same thing, and regardless, it wouldn't help any with explictly instantiating a template that had an auto ref parameter. So, it really wouldn't solve the problem at all. It would just make it so that if you didn't want a templated function, you could use auto ref.
> >
> > [...]
>
> Makes sense...
>
> OK, attempt 2: how about support implicit partial application for templates?

Well, you can do something like

template foo(T)
{
    auto foo()(auto ref T t)
    {
        return t;
    }
}

void main()
{
    alias f = foo!int;
    auto a = f(42);
}

and then foo!int, but you're not going to get a function pointer out of it, since for that, you need to instantiate the inner function template. It does give partial instantiation though.

- Jonathan M Davis

March 21, 2017
On Tuesday, 21 March 2017 at 01:10:38 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Monday, March 20, 2017 22:14:37 Yuxuan Shui via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On Monday, 20 March 2017 at 21:53:47 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>> > [...]
>>
>> Makes sense...
>>
>> OK, attempt 2: how about support implicit partial application for templates?
>
> Well, you can do something like
>
> template foo(T)
> {
>     auto foo()(auto ref T t)
>     {
>         return t;
>     }
> }
>
> void main()
> {
>     alias f = foo!int;
>     auto a = f(42);
> }
>
> and then foo!int, but you're not going to get a function pointer out of it, since for that, you need to instantiate the inner function template. It does give partial instantiation though.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

This is looks doable. Can we do this for all auto ref functions in phobos?
« First   ‹ Prev
1 2