>
> 1. by vote
> 2. newest first
> 3. by karma of the poster
> 4. by number of posts by the poster
> 5. by a "house blend" of the above (!) If Sönke wants to get really
> creative, have an "equalizer" with four sliders to control the weight of
> 1..4.

I think this would be available in the homebrew thing but not on disqus.

Andrei

December 30, 2012
On Saturday, 29 December 2012 at 17:48:06 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 12/29/12 10:22 AM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
>> Sönke has listed the advantages provided by Disqus. I'll list a few
>> disadvantages (some of which may be obvious) for consideration:
> [snip]
>
> Good points. I, too, think a customized, highly integrated version of forum.dlang.org would be preferable.

I think we should not be too quick to dismiss the wiki option. It wouldn't be hard to create a minimal MediaWiki skin for the purpose of inclusion in dlang.org pages as an iframe.

One common pattern I noticed in the PHP boards is when one commenter tries to one-up the code fragment posted by another (and repeat). As a result, you can find a half dozen variants of code attempts of the same purpose. Comments pointing out criticisms in whatever variant may get lost. Voting and sorting by votes helps with this somewhat, but is still a far shot from true collaboration that a wiki can provide.

If contributed content is on an editable page, it's much easier to organize it. E.g. bulky examples can be moved to a subpage, or perhaps to some other place on the wiki (e.g. cookbook or whatnot) and linked to from the page visible on dlang.org.

MediaWiki also gives us great moderation. Vandalism is easy to undo and vandals are easy to block, and history has shown that wiki communities can defeat vandalism as a problem without requiring some authoritary moderation force.

The one problem I can think of is that discussion is not very intuitive (e.g. signing posts and "threading" is done by convention). There are some MediaWiki extensions that provide a simpler interface, however.

I think the ideal solution would be some combination of both wiki and discussion, something like StackOverflow.

Back to discussing the forum idea:

> Perhaps integration with newsgroup wouldn't be necessary, i.e. no need to make posts made on the documentation pages appear on the regular fora.

The posts could be backed by a separate newsgroup created for the purpose. Those willing to contribute could do so from the comfort of their NNTP/email client.

> Do you think it would be easy to implement and maintain the features I discussed in http://goo.gl/G4pJ9? Let's not forget that we'd benefit of future improvements to disqus (if any) by default, whereas if we build it we need to maintain and improve it.

Sure, but OTOH we can't improve a third-party service if we don't like something in it.

> 2. PHP has compulsive moderation before posting, we don't seem to have any. Is it possible to add moderation before (or at least after) posting? I see Sönke has a "mod" tag next to his name.
>
> 3. Both allow anonymous comments, but since PHP is compulsively moderated that's less of an issue. Can we require registration (disqus/facebook/twitter/g+) for posting?

Do you think that misbehavior (requiring moderation) would become a problem on dlang.org comments, despite that it's not a (big) problem on the forums?

> 4. PHP's comments with code have it formatted beautifully just like the main site. Disqus does support some D apparently but an older version. Is it possible to add some styling so we format code snippets just the same as our current runnable examples?

Sure. The greatest hurdle will likely be the bikeshedding over the syntax to indicate a code block :)

> 5. Both have voting, and PHP sorts comments in decreasing order by upvotes. Can we also sort the same? Also, can we add some randomness (e.g. randomly push one of the comments in a top position) such that new good content has a chance to be upvoted?

Sounds easy enough, bar the plentifully-discussed challenges of implementing voting systems.
December 30, 2012
On 12/30/2012 07:25 AM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> I think the ideal solution would be some combination of both wiki and
> discussion, something like StackOverflow.

I recently stumbled across OSQA (free, open source Q&A system): http://www.osqa.net/

I'm not sure how well it works, though.

regards,
r_m_r

January 01, 2013
On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 23:36:09 -0500
Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail@erdani.org> wrote:

> All - please take a look at Sönke's integration of Disqus with dlang.org:
> 
> http://vibed.org/temp/d-programming-language.org/phobos/std/algorithm/balancedParens.html
> 
> What do you think?

God no. Disqus is complete shit.

January 01, 2013
On 1/1/2013 10:00 AM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> God no. Disqus is complete shit.

Reasons?
January 01, 2013
On 2013-47-01 19:01, Walter Bright <newshound2@digitalmars.com> wrote:

> On 1/1/2013 10:00 AM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> God no. Disqus is complete shit.
>
>
> Reasons?

Nick & Javascript is a less than optimal combination?

-- 
Simen
January 01, 2013
On Tue, Jan 01, 2013 at 07:51:20PM +0100, Simen Kjaeraas wrote:
> On 2013-47-01 19:01, Walter Bright <newshound2@digitalmars.com> wrote:
> 
> >On 1/1/2013 10:00 AM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> >>God no. Disqus is complete shit.
> >
> >
> >Reasons?
> 
> Nick & Javascript is a less than optimal combination?
[...]

Understatement of the year. :-P

T

-- 
Doubt is a self-fulfilling prophecy.
January 01, 2013
On 2013-57-01 20:01, H. S. Teoh <hsteoh@quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 01, 2013 at 07:51:20PM +0100, Simen Kjaeraas wrote:
>> On 2013-47-01 19:01, Walter Bright <newshound2@digitalmars.com> wrote:
>>
>> >On 1/1/2013 10:00 AM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> >>God no. Disqus is complete shit.
>> >
>> >
>> >Reasons?
>>
>> Nick & Javascript is a less than optimal combination?
> [...]
>
> Understatement of the year. :-P

Already? Wow.

-- 
Simen
January 01, 2013
On Tuesday, January 01, 2013 22:31:32 Simen Kjaeraas wrote:
> > Understatement of the year. :-P
> 
> Already? Wow.

LOL.

Well, it's actually very easy to make the understatement of the year when there have been very few understatements already made. The question is whether it will _stay_ the understatement of the year, but knowing Nick, it probably will. ;)

- Jonathan M Davis
January 02, 2013
On Tue, 01 Jan 2013 14:24:52 -0800
Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg@gmx.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, January 01, 2013 22:31:32 Simen Kjaeraas wrote:
> > > Understatement of the year. :-P
> > 
> > Already? Wow.
> 
> LOL.
> 
> Well, it's actually very easy to make the understatement of the year when there have been very few understatements already made. The question is whether it will _stay_ the understatement of the year, but knowing Nick, it probably will. ;)
> 
> - Jonathan M Davis

lol, probably right ;)

At least it isn't flash though, I'll give JS that much credit at least. (But then flash seems to be nearly dead now anyway, or at least flash player, so FWIW...)

In any case, we're D, we're systems/native, I think we can do much better than Disqus, and I submit Vibe.d/DFeed/etc as evidence that settling for Disqus is below us.