August 30, 2014
"ketmar via Digitalmars-d"  wrote in message news:mailman.125.1409410701.5783.digitalmars-d@puremagic.com...

> yet the first answers i got were "github or GTFO!" note that i wasn't
> wrote a single word about "take this patches or they will rot in
> bugzilla forever" in my original message. just plain info for those who
> interested. ok, i got the point: either "go github" or don't
> contribute. i chosing "don't contribute" in this case.

The choice isn't "github or GTFO", it's just if you don't submit patches on github they have a much higher chance of rotting in bugzilla.  Relying on others to complete the final steps of the contribution process will always be less efficient.  Many patches have rotted in bugzilla over the years, including some of my own.

> not that i'll stop to fill bugs or something. i will just not try to
> provide any fixes/enhancements anymore, even if i did that in my local
> copy. only plain "i found the bug, here is testcase" and "it would be
> good if compiler/druntime/phobos will do this".

There is no harm in posting patches with bugzilla issues.  It's just not a great way to get them into the upstream repos.  It'd be better still if you made pull requests. 

August 30, 2014
On Saturday, 30 August 2014 at 15:03:51 UTC, ketmar via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> i'm planning to make website with my patches that fixes those "cosmetic
> issues" that can't find their way in mainline. using vibe.d, of
> course. ;-) i'll publish my build scripts and patchsets on the site and
> will keep the site up-to-date. one will be able to choose only the
> patches he want.

Nice! :-)
August 30, 2014
On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 05:58:12PM +0300, ketmar via Digitalmars-d wrote: [...]
> yet the first answers i got were "github or GTFO!" note that i wasn't wrote a single word about "take this patches or they will rot in bugzilla forever" in my original message. just plain info for those who interested. ok, i got the point: either "go github" or don't contribute. i chosing "don't contribute" in this case.
> 
> not that i'll stop to fill bugs or something. i will just not try to provide any fixes/enhancements anymore, even if i did that in my local copy. only plain "i found the bug, here is testcase" and "it would be good if compiler/druntime/phobos will do this".

Please don't stop submitting patches. I'll turn them into PRs.

T

-- 
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who can count in binary, and those who can't.
August 30, 2014
On 30/08/14 16:38, Daniel Murphy via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> It's a shame that your dislike of github is stronger than your desire to
> contribute code.

I'm sorry, that won't wash.  It's a given, especially now, that for some people, using these large-scale online social networks is a no-no.  Many of us may view the practical benefits as outweighing those factors, but it's not acceptable to be dismissive or arrogant in the face of those concerns.

Someone's provided patches.  It takes far less time to whip those up into a PR (as H.S. Teoh has done) than to engage in a big debate like this.
August 30, 2014
Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:
> On 30/08/14 16:38, Daniel Murphy via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> It's a shame that your dislike of github is stronger than your desire to contribute code.
> 
> I'm sorry, that won't wash.  It's a given, especially now, that for some
> people, using these large-scale online social networks is a no-no.  Many
> of us may view the practical benefits as outweighing those factors, but
> it's not acceptable to be dismissive or arrogant in the face of those concerns.
> 
> Someone's provided patches.  It takes far less time to whip those up into a PR (as H.S. Teoh has done) than to engage in a big debate like this.

I agree. Thank H, S. Teoh. -- Andrei
August 30, 2014
On Saturday, 30 August 2014 at 14:41:08 UTC, monarch_dodra wrote:
> So it's "welcome help", but there's still the actual work that needs to be done by someone else: Not only the pull, but the review, sticking with the review, etc...

Sure.

> I can also appreciate that filing a bug is work in itself. Doing that is already a step most people don't take. We just need to meet halfway, and not bitch about it: Both sides have or will provide work, and need to realize that about the other.

I think is better to view it as a stair case. You don't want the first step to be steep. By showing gratitude and educating potential contributors on the standard procedure perhaps more people walk the steps.

Making the first contributions as an attachment to a bug report seems like lowering the threshold for contribution. If you don't have full confidence in the patch, and think it might be slaughtered, then it probably is perceived as less "humiliating" to do that then to follow the formal procedure. If it goes through, then maybe it will encourage more formal participation in the next round.

Contributing through github, if you have no interest/knowledge about it, sounds like a major commitment at the first step.

Requiring initial contributors to figuring out a system they have no interest in makes the staircase too steep.
August 30, 2014
On 30 Aug 2014 15:07, "H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d" < digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 01:40:49PM +0000, Dicebot via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> > I agree with Iain, we should respect opinion of people trying to stay away from intrusive ecosystems like GitHub. While probability of someone picking the patches and proceeding with them is low (and we shouldn't give false hopes) there is no place for "GitHub or GTFO" reaction. It is just rude.
>
> I can't believe you people would waste hours on a useless discussion, when it takes just 5 minutes to generate PR's from the OP's patches:
>
>         https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/druntime/pull/939
>         https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/2475
>
> Seriously, we forum people need to get a perspective sometimes. *grumble* *grumble*
>

I'm stuck on a phone for the time being.  Otherwise I'd have done the honours this morning, followed by a 'Thanks for your contribution and for helping make D better'.

Iain.

August 30, 2014
On Saturday, 30 August 2014 at 15:25:59 UTC, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> Please don't stop submitting patches. I'll turn them into PRs.

Even though everything submitted to Bugzilla is supposed to be public domain, it would be nice to keep authorship information in the commit messages.

Cheers,
David
August 30, 2014
On Sat, 30 Aug 2014 16:33:12 +0000
David Nadlinger via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:

> Even though everything submitted to Bugzilla is supposed to be public domain, it would be nice to keep authorship information in the commit messages.
in my case -- i don't care. i just keep forgetting "consider that code as PD/WTFPL" text. ;-)

it's perfectly ok to not mention me in PRs.

August 30, 2014
On Saturday, 30 August 2014 at 15:18:34 UTC, Daniel Murphy wrote:
> "ketmar via Digitalmars-d"  wrote in message news:mailman.125.1409410701.5783.digitalmars-d@puremagic.com...
>
>> yet the first answers i got were "github or GTFO!" note that i wasn't
>> wrote a single word about "take this patches or they will rot in
>> bugzilla forever" in my original message. just plain info for those who
>> interested. ok, i got the point: either "go github" or don't
>> contribute. i chosing "don't contribute" in this case.
>
> The choice isn't "github or GTFO", it's just if you don't submit patches on github they have a much higher chance of rotting in bugzilla.  Relying on others to complete the final steps of the contribution process will always be less efficient.  Many patches have rotted in bugzilla over the years, including some of my own.

Exactly. I'm surprised that this has resulted in this much discussion. github is how we manage and accept contributions. Patches in bugzilla might end up being turned into a PR by someone who feels that they want to spend their time submitting other peope's patches as PR's on github, but not many developers are going to do that. So, if you post patches to bugzilla, the odds are high that they will just rot.

Anyone who wants to post patches to bugzilla is free to do so, but they should do so with the understanding that that is not how we normally manage contributions and that there's a good chance that their patch will just sit there and rot.

And I would very much hope that anyone who wanted to contribute more than just a patch or two would take the time to set up a github account and figure out how to submit PR's rather than expect that other developers will spend their time turning those patches into PR's and making whatever changes are required when the PR's are reviewed. It works far better if the author of the changes does that work.

- Jonathan M Davis