Feb 25, 2020
Bill Baxter
Feb 25, 2020
Mike Parker
Feb 25, 2020
RazvanN
February 18, 2020
Hello everyone!

In a couple of days we should find out if The Dlang Foundation was accepted as a mentoring organization for Google Summer of Code 2020. If we get accepted, I think that we should have a list of priority projects that we should propose to students. I have started tagging what I find the most useful projects with the gsoc2020 tag [1]. If you want to help in this process you can:

1. Go through the issues in the projects repo [2] and propose a specific issue to be tagged for gsoc2020. If one of the proposed projects on the repo is important for you and you want to see it implemented, create a thread on the General forum so that we can discuss the importance of the project and then decide if we tag the issue or not.

2. Go through the issues in the project repo and volunteer to mentor a specific project that is of interest to you. If you want to be a mentor please post a comment stating your intention on the project page and email me at razvan.nitu1305@gmail.com .

3. Create new issues on the projects repo [2] detailing what the project is, what are the rough milestones and who are the persons of contact.

GSOC is a great opportunity to push things forward so let's see what are the most important points that we want to see across the finish line,

Cheers,
RazvanN

[1] https://github.com/dlang/projects/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3Agsoc2020
[2] https://github.com/dlang/projects
February 24, 2020
On Tuesday, 18 February 2020 at 05:59:47 UTC, RazvanN wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> In a couple of days we should find out if The Dlang Foundation was accepted as a mentoring organization for Google Summer of Code 2020. If we get accepted, I think that we should have a list of priority projects that we should propose to students. I have started tagging what I find the most useful projects with the gsoc2020 tag [1]. If you want to help in this process you can:
>
> [...]

Unfortunately, Dlang has not been accepted this year as a GSOC mentoring organization. Maybe we will have better luck next year,

Cheers,
RazvanN
February 24, 2020
On Monday, 24 February 2020 at 02:52:04 UTC, RazvanN wrote:
> On Tuesday, 18 February 2020 at 05:59:47 UTC, RazvanN wrote:
>> Hello everyone!
>>
>> In a couple of days we should find out if The Dlang Foundation was accepted as a mentoring organization for Google Summer of Code 2020. If we get accepted, I think that we should have a list of priority projects that we should propose to students. I have started tagging what I find the most useful projects with the gsoc2020 tag [1]. If you want to help in this process you can:
>>
>> [...]
>
> Unfortunately, Dlang has not been accepted this year as a GSOC mentoring organization. Maybe we will have better luck next year,
>
> Cheers,
> RazvanN

Do we know why?
February 25, 2020
On 25/02/2020 6:43 AM, Panke wrote:
> On Monday, 24 February 2020 at 02:52:04 UTC, RazvanN wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 18 February 2020 at 05:59:47 UTC, RazvanN wrote:
>>> Hello everyone!
>>>
>>> In a couple of days we should find out if The Dlang Foundation was accepted as a mentoring organization for Google Summer of Code 2020. If we get accepted, I think that we should have a list of priority projects that we should propose to students. I have started tagging what I find the most useful projects with the gsoc2020 tag [1]. If you want to help in this process you can:
>>>
>>> [...]
>>
>> Unfortunately, Dlang has not been accepted this year as a GSOC mentoring organization. Maybe we will have better luck next year,
>>
>> Cheers,
>> RazvanN
> 
> Do we know why?

This is my guess:

https://www.gamefromscratch.com/post/2020/02/20/GSoC-2020-Organizations-Announced.aspx

Limited spots, somebody had to go.
February 24, 2020
The full list is here and there are lots of them: https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/organizations/?sp-page=2

I think gamefromscratch.com just pulled out a short list of ones that were game-related there.

--bb

On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 at 10:05 AM rikki cattermole via Digitalmars-d-announce <digitalmars-d-announce@puremagic.com> wrote:

> On 25/02/2020 6:43 AM, Panke wrote:
> > On Monday, 24 February 2020 at 02:52:04 UTC, RazvanN wrote:
> >> On Tuesday, 18 February 2020 at 05:59:47 UTC, RazvanN wrote:
> >>> Hello everyone!
> >>>
> >>> In a couple of days we should find out if The Dlang Foundation was accepted as a mentoring organization for Google Summer of Code 2020. If we get accepted, I think that we should have a list of priority projects that we should propose to students. I have started tagging what I find the most useful projects with the gsoc2020 tag [1]. If you want to help in this process you can:
> >>>
> >>> [...]
> >>
> >> Unfortunately, Dlang has not been accepted this year as a GSOC mentoring organization. Maybe we will have better luck next year,
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> RazvanN
> >
> > Do we know why?
>
> This is my guess:
>
>
> https://www.gamefromscratch.com/post/2020/02/20/GSoC-2020-Organizations-Announced.aspx
>
> Limited spots, somebody had to go.
>

February 25, 2020
On Monday, 24 February 2020 at 18:00:15 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:

> Limited spots, somebody had to go.

That’s the only reason they ever give for rejection AFAIK.
February 25, 2020
On Monday, 24 February 2020 at 17:43:41 UTC, Panke wrote:
> On Monday, 24 February 2020 at 02:52:04 UTC, RazvanN wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 18 February 2020 at 05:59:47 UTC, RazvanN wrote:
>>> Hello everyone!
>>>
>>> In a couple of days we should find out if The Dlang Foundation was accepted as a mentoring organization for Google Summer of Code 2020. If we get accepted, I think that we should have a list of priority projects that we should propose to students. I have started tagging what I find the most useful projects with the gsoc2020 tag [1]. If you want to help in this process you can:
>>>
>>> [...]
>>
>> Unfortunately, Dlang has not been accepted this year as a GSOC mentoring organization. Maybe we will have better luck next year,
>>
>> Cheers,
>> RazvanN
>
> Do we know why?

They simply notify if you have been accepted or not without offering any details, but I think that they want to offer a chance to everyone. Apart from big organizations that are offered spots every year, the small organizations are usually rotated, but we can't know for sure if there was something wrong with our application or they simply wanted to give someone else a chance.