Apr 06, 2012
Manu
Apr 07, 2012
Jussi Jumppanen
Apr 06, 2012
Kevin Cox
April 06, 2012
Hi All,

I am looking for a good IDE to start learning D. Coming from a Java world where eclipse is the standard, I feel not having a good IDE support is the major issue D faces to go mainstream.

1. I tried DDT plugin ended up with frustration.
2. Mono-D : http://mono-d.alexanderbothe.com/ - Looks promising, I think the community has to back this project. I am not a mono guy but I feel this project has a lot of potential.
3. Netbeans-D : http://plugins.netbeans.org/plugin/41944/netbeans-d - Very early stage project.

Also, a IDE which has good web development support will be a sure winner. Scala also faced the same issue early in her life and then Typesafe guyz came to unify the scala-ide effort.

Any comments ?

-Adam
April 06, 2012
On Friday, 6 April 2012 at 02:59:05 UTC, crudbug wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am looking for a good IDE to start learning D. Coming from a Java world where eclipse is the standard, I feel not having a good IDE support is the major issue D faces to go mainstream.

There are many efforts to bring a good IDE to do, as you have seen. I like Vim, but if you want an IDE, choose one, use it, submit bug reports/requests, promote it with a blog post about how to set it up. Blog about the frustrations it has brought.

There is much to be done, but it is most important that people contribute what they enjoy contributing.
April 06, 2012
On Friday, 6 April 2012 at 02:59:05 UTC, crudbug wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am looking for a good IDE to start learning D. Coming from a Java world where eclipse is the standard, I feel not having a good IDE support is the major issue D faces to go mainstream.
>
> 1. I tried DDT plugin ended up with frustration.
> 2. Mono-D : http://mono-d.alexanderbothe.com/ - Looks promising, I think the community has to back this project. I am not a mono guy but I feel this project has a lot of potential.
> 3. Netbeans-D : http://plugins.netbeans.org/plugin/41944/netbeans-d - Very early stage project.
>
> Also, a IDE which has good web development support will be a sure winner. Scala also faced the same issue early in her life and then Typesafe guyz came to unify the scala-ide effort.
>
> Any comments ?
>
> -Adam

IDE&editors support status is here:
http://prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?EditorSupport (it may be outdated).

I prefer to use Codeblocks and i guess Visual D would be good on Windows.

April 06, 2012
On Fri, 06 Apr 2012 06:20:27 +0200
"Maxim" <maxim@maxim-fomin.ru> wrote:

> I prefer to use Codeblocks and i guess Visual D would be good on Windows.

Has D support for Codeblocks improved somewhat recently?

Otherwise, I'm considering to use Geany and/or buy SublimeText2.

Sincerely,
Gour

-- 
Even the intelligent are bewildered in determining what is action and what is inaction. Now I shall explain to you what action is, knowing which you shall be liberated from all misfortune.

http://atmarama.net | Hlapicina (Croatia) | GPG: 52B5C810

April 06, 2012
Mono-D is my go to IDE. It supports completion and debugging, and is cross-platform.
April 06, 2012
On Fri, 06 Apr 2012 09:34:02 +0200
"Bernard Helyer" <b.helyer@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mono-D is my go to IDE. It supports completion and debugging, and is cross-platform.

Yeah, it looks nice, but I've managed to stay mono-free on my machine. :-)

Sincerely,
Gour

-- 
Bewildered by the modes of material nature, the ignorant fully engage themselves in material activities and become attached. But the wise should not unsettle them, although these duties are inferior due to the performers' lack of knowledge.

http://atmarama.net | Hlapicina (Croatia) | GPG: 52B5C810

April 06, 2012
On Friday, 6 April 2012 at 06:40:02 UTC, Gour wrote:
> Otherwise, I'm considering to use Geany and/or buy SublimeText2.

I use Sublime Text 2, and it is a great editor. You can try it for free, there's just a nag dialog that opens occasionally.
April 06, 2012
On 7 April 2012 01:54, Matt Peterson <ricochet1k@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday, 6 April 2012 at 06:40:02 UTC, Gour wrote:
>
>> Otherwise, I'm considering to use Geany and/or buy SublimeText2.
>>
>
> I use Sublime Text 2, and it is a great editor. You can try it for free, there's just a nag dialog that opens occasionally.
>

I use VisualD, and it's currently borderline. It has recently gained the minimum useful feature set, but still has quite a few bugs. It's promising though. Hoping there is a new release soon with a few of the critical bugs fixed >_<

If there was a SublimeText integration, I would pay good money for it... (actually, I would pay good money for VisualD too if it became solid)

April 06, 2012
On Sat, 7 Apr 2012, Manu wrote:

> I use VisualD, and it's currently borderline. It has recently gained the minimum useful feature set, but still has quite a few bugs. It's promising though. Hoping there is a new release soon with a few of the critical bugs fixed >_<
> 
> If there was a SublimeText integration, I would pay good money for it... (actually, I would pay good money for VisualD too if it became solid)

up front: not picking on this email specifically, it just happened to be handy and represents a common problem with this community.

A large number of people are in the 'want things to be better than they are camp' and are looking at projects that are largely one man projects. I can just about guarantee that one man projects will die, it's only a matter of time.  If you truely want to see product-X work for you, lend some of your time.

It doesn't take a lot of help to greatly improve both the quality of a product and the liklihood that it'll survive much longer, but it does take some.

My 2 cents,
Brad

April 06, 2012
On 7 April 2012 02:15, Brad Roberts <braddr@puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Apr 2012, Manu wrote:
>
> > I use VisualD, and it's currently borderline. It has recently gained the minimum useful feature set, but still has quite a few bugs. It's
> promising
> > though. Hoping there is a new release soon with a few of the critical
> bugs
> > fixed >_<
> >
> > If there was a SublimeText integration, I would pay good money for it... (actually, I would pay good money for VisualD too if it became solid)
>
> up front: not picking on this email specifically, it just happened to be handy and represents a common problem with this community.
>
> A large number of people are in the 'want things to be better than they are camp' and are looking at projects that are largely one man projects. I can just about guarantee that one man projects will die, it's only a matter of time.  If you truely want to see product-X work for you, lend some of your time.
>
> It doesn't take a lot of help to greatly improve both the quality of a product and the liklihood that it'll survive much longer, but it does take some.
>
> My 2 cents,
> Brad
>

Fair enough I guess, but I'm a customer. I work commercially, and I'd
happily pay money for tools that work.
Sadly, I can't offer any significant amount of my own time. I already
involve myself in my own time to the extent I am able, and even there I'm
over-extending (still trying to finish up std.simd, though I'm blocked
waiting on support for vector literals)...

I tend to think for the D enterprise to largely succeed, it needs
commercial interest, and also the ability to realise and meet commercial
expectations. Otherwise it'll just be a toy for language enthusiasts.
I agree that the 1-man-team projects are a little dangerous. What if these
small projects were supported financially? How many commercial interests
are there in the community?

Could we start putting micro bounties on features and/or projects? Would that encourage rogue implementation of high-demand features?

« First   ‹ Prev
1 2