Andrej Mitrovic
Sep 12, 2010
Nick Sabalausky
Sep 13, 2010
Nick B
Oct 05, 2010
%u
September 12, 2010
Are there active D-Communities besides the official D forums here on digitalmars.com? Everything I found so far is pretty outdated with the latest news dating back 2 or more years. Is most of the D-Community dead or are there hidden parts of it I can not find? And if it is dead, why did it die? D appears to be a pretty solid language.

Regards Ingrater
September 12, 2010
On 2010-09-12 17:26, Ingrater wrote:
> Are there active D-Communities besides the official D forums here on
> digitalmars.com? Everything I found so far is pretty outdated with the latest
> news dating back 2 or more years. Is most of the D-Community dead or are there
> hidden parts of it I can not find? And if it is dead, why did it die? D
> appears to be a pretty solid language.
>
> Regards Ingrater

dsource.org is a big part of the community. It's a page which hosts D projects with forums and source control management. Also many of these projects have IRC chat rooms, most of them on the irc.freenode.net server. "D" is the name of the IRC chat room for general talk about D.

-- 
/Jacob Carlborg
September 12, 2010
"Ingrater" <code@benjamin-thaut.de> wrote in message news:i6irfq$suo$1@digitalmars.com...
> digitalmars.com? Everything I found so far is pretty outdated with the
> latest
> news dating back 2 or more years. Is most of the D-Community dead or are
> there
>

Aside from what Jacob said, I think this newsgroup just tends to be where D users generally gravitate.

Also, since D is a langauge without any corporate backing, gaining awareness and respect has been a long uphill battle - but with steady progress though, and Andrei's book seems to be really starting to help too.

September 12, 2010
Unfortunately when dsource is down, all the other sites hosted on it are down. Projects, tutorials, the planet D blog, and the DMD/Phobos repository.

Ingrater, you may also want to check out http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi which is a D wiki.

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 5:30 PM, Jacob Carlborg <doob@me.com> wrote:
> On 2010-09-12 17:26, Ingrater wrote:
>>
>> Are there active D-Communities besides the official D forums here on
>> digitalmars.com? Everything I found so far is pretty outdated with the
>> latest
>> news dating back 2 or more years. Is most of the D-Community dead or are
>> there
>> hidden parts of it I can not find? And if it is dead, why did it die? D
>> appears to be a pretty solid language.
>>
>> Regards Ingrater
>
> dsource.org is a big part of the community. It's a page which hosts D projects with forums and source control management. Also many of these projects have IRC chat rooms, most of them on the irc.freenode.net server. "D" is the name of the IRC chat room for general talk about D.
>
> --
> /Jacob Carlborg
>
September 13, 2010
On 13/09/2010 3:26 a.m., Ingrater wrote:
> digitalmars.com? Everything I found so far is pretty outdated with the latest
> news dating back 2 or more years. Is most of the D-Community dead or are there
>
> Regards Ingrater

there is also the tango community.

check out here:  http://www.dsource.org/projects/tango

Also many of these projects have IRC chat rooms, most of them on the irc.freenode.net server. "d.tango" is the name of the IRC chat room for general talk about tango.

this group is quite active.

Nick B
October 05, 2010
== Quote from Nick B ("nick_NOSPAM_.barbalich"@gmail.com)'s article
> there is also the tango community.
> check out here:  http://www.dsource.org/projects/tango
> Also many of these projects have IRC chat rooms, most of them on the
> irc.freenode.net server. "d.tango" is the name of the IRC chat room for
> general talk about tango.
> this group is quite active.
> Nick B

Although, I kind of wish that the digital mars newsgroups moved to dsource.org, or that dsource.org somehow links to digitalmars.

Being new to the D Programming Language, dsource.org was the first place I went to for information.  And seeing that most activity occurred 2 years ago, I thought the language was dead.  I didn't give up and that's how I found digitalmars newsgroups.

I suspect most newbies will check out dsource.org and be turned off by how outdated the posts are, and quit there.  Since first impressions are important, if they get past that initial hurdle, they may always have in the back of their mind that D is a toy language and never give it any serious thought as to how to use this language in their current project at work.

I suspect that this happens, and that would be too bad.