November 11, 2012
On 11 November 2012 10:43, Alix Pexton <alix.DOT.pexton@gmail.dot.com> wrote:
>
>>
>> You don't necessarily need a cross compiler to do the job. Set-up a raspbian chroot instead!
>>
>> There's some rough instructions here.
>>
>> http://superpiadventures.wordpress.com/2012/07/16/development-environment/
>>
>>
>> You are also able to debug programs through qemu, though there's a hurdle you have to jump through.
>>
>>
>> http://tinkering-is-fun.blogspot.co.uk/2009/12/debugging-non-native-programs-with-qemu.html
>>
>>
>> Regards,
>> Iain.
>>
>>
>
> The comments on the first article say that using qemu is as slow as compiling on the RasPi, and recommend using the cross-compiler instead.
>

Your milage may vary depending on what hardware you have.   Personally I find it 3-4 times quicker to build (considering it takes about 24+ hours to built gdc on a RasPi device).

> I followed the instructs anyway, and all seemed to go well, but they just stop without detailing how to actually compile anything, or explaining what has been done ><
>
> A...

What's been done is a chroot system has been set-up with ARM binaries, instead of i386 or x86_64.  qemu-debootstrap installs an executable qemu-arm-static inside this chroot, so when you try to run any ARM binaries, qemu kicks in and acts as an emulator.

To compile, simply following the same instructions as per the gdc wiki.   apt-get install all build deps, retrieve source, ./configure and make.  :-)

-- 
Iain Buclaw

*(p < e ? p++ : p) = (c & 0x0f) + '0';
November 11, 2012
On Sunday, 11 November 2012 at 11:22:52 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> Your milage may vary depending on what hardware you have.   Personally
> I find it 3-4 times quicker to build (considering it takes about 24+
> hours to built gdc on a RasPi device).

6–8 hours to build?! I sure love building LDC on my ODROID-X. ;)

David
November 11, 2012
On 11 November 2012 13:18, David Nadlinger <see@klickverbot.at> wrote:
> On Sunday, 11 November 2012 at 11:22:52 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
>>
>> Your milage may vary depending on what hardware you have.   Personally I find it 3-4 times quicker to build (considering it takes about 24+ hours to built gdc on a RasPi device).
>
>
> 6–8 hours to build?! I sure love building LDC on my ODROID-X. ;)
>
> David

Ya, but how many lines of code is LDC vs GDC+GCC. :-)

-- 
Iain Buclaw

November 11, 2012
> What's been done is a chroot system has been set-up with ARM binaries,
> instead of i386 or x86_64.  qemu-debootstrap installs an executable
> qemu-arm-static inside this chroot, so when you try to run any ARM
> binaries, qemu kicks in and acts as an emulator.
>
> To compile, simply following the same instructions as per the gdc
> wiki.   apt-get install all build deps, retrieve source, ./configure
> and make.  :-)
>

o.O

you are still assuming I have way more pre-existing linux knowledge/experience than I actually do, I really do need this stuff explaining in tiny baby steps...

I followed the instructions, pretty sure I will have messed up somewhere, read some more of the comments on the original qemu instructions and someone points out that if reports to be emulating the wrong arm processor, and no one has posted to say they have had any success, never a good sign ><

A...
November 11, 2012
On 11 November 2012 15:13, Alix Pexton <alix.DOT.pexton@gmail.dot.com> wrote:
>
>> What's been done is a chroot system has been set-up with ARM binaries, instead of i386 or x86_64.  qemu-debootstrap installs an executable qemu-arm-static inside this chroot, so when you try to run any ARM binaries, qemu kicks in and acts as an emulator.
>>
>> To compile, simply following the same instructions as per the gdc wiki.   apt-get install all build deps, retrieve source, ./configure and make.  :-)
>>
>
> o.O
>
> you are still assuming I have way more pre-existing linux knowledge/experience than I actually do, I really do need this stuff explaining in tiny baby steps...
>
> I followed the instructions, pretty sure I will have messed up somewhere, read some more of the comments on the original qemu instructions and someone points out that if reports to be emulating the wrong arm processor, and no one has posted to say they have had any success, never a good sign ><
>
> A...

Don't think that would be the case for you.  It works just fine, just make sure you are using the correct configure --target flag.

-- 
Iain Buclaw

November 11, 2012
On 11/11/2012 02:50 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2012-11-10 17:14, Ellery Newcomer wrote:
>
>> Ubuntu 12.10/gnome classic works well enough; just turn off compiz. I
>> tried mint and ran into trouble while compiling llvm. make gobbled
>> memory for a while, and then the desktop restarted itself (I guess?).
>> All my windows: gone.
>
> I manage to turn of compiz but I don't know if I made some bad choices
> in the process because now I only have the desktop. No left or top bar.
>

Ouch. Looks like what I should have said is gnome classic (no effects), and I guess compizconfig didn't actually turn anything off. Also, I'm working from a clean install, so that might account for behavior difference.

It still sucks, though. Found myself wishing I had installed server instead.
November 12, 2012
On 2012-11-12 00:14, Ellery Newcomer wrote:

> Ouch. Looks like what I should have said is gnome classic (no effects),
> and I guess compizconfig didn't actually turn anything off. Also, I'm
> working from a clean install, so that might account for behavior
> difference.

I start to think I have to reinstall.

> It still sucks, though. Found myself wishing I had installed server
> instead.

I was using this virtual machine for testing DWT Linux as well, so I kind of need a GUI. I was hoping I could use the same machine for building Linux binaries as testing DWT.

-- 
/Jacob Carlborg
November 12, 2012
> Don't think that would be the case for you.  It works just fine, just
> make sure you are using the correct configure --target flag.
>

On my third time running through the instructions I felt like I was on the right track until I got to the part about running

./setup-gcc.sh $HOME/gcc-4.7-4.7.1/src

to "add gdc to gcc sources"

but this script is not in the branch that I got from git!

There is a

./update-gcc.sh

which I have tried to run, but I only got the help message or an error depending on if I add "--setup" or not ><

should setup-gcc be present? if not, what is the correct way to call update-gcc?

A...

November 13, 2012
On 12/11/2012 20:27, Alix Pexton wrote:
> ./update-gcc.sh
>
> which I have tried to run, but I only got the help message or an error
> depending on if I add "--setup" or not ><
>
> should setup-gcc be present? if not, what is the correct way to call
> update-gcc?

OK, ibuclaw helped me over that hurdle over irc, it is now building (I think) ^^

My next stupid question, is once its compiled on the qemu chroot, how do I get it onto the RasPi?

A...
November 13, 2012
On 13 November 2012 13:09, Alix Pexton <alix.DOT.pexton@gmail.dot.com> wrote:
> On 12/11/2012 20:27, Alix Pexton wrote:
>>
>> ./update-gcc.sh
>>
>> which I have tried to run, but I only got the help message or an error depending on if I add "--setup" or not ><
>>
>> should setup-gcc be present? if not, what is the correct way to call update-gcc?
>
>
>
> OK, ibuclaw helped me over that hurdle over irc, it is now building (I
> think) ^^
>
> My next stupid question, is once its compiled on the qemu chroot, how do I get it onto the RasPi?
>
> A...

Someone in IRC mentioned IPoAC.  I think this is the way to go. ;-)

-- 
Iain Buclaw