Product: D
           Version: D2
          Hardware: All
          Severity: enhancement
          Priority: P1
         Component: phobos
          Assignee: nobody@puremagic.com
          Reporter: issues.dlang@jmdavisProg.com

std.conv.to throws a ConvException when it runs into a problem doing a conversion. In many cases, this is great, but in some cases, it really isn't, and it can lead to code like this

int i;
try
    i = to!int(str);
catch(ConvException)
{
}

which is inefficient and verbose - particularly if there's a high chance that the conversion will fail. Exceptions make a lot of sense when it's reasonable to expect the conversion to succeed, but when there's a high chance that it won't, they just make things worse. So, ideally, we'd have an alternative that returned a Nullable, e.g.

auto i = tryTo!int(str);
if(i.isNull)
{
}

This would also provide a superior alternative to std.string.isNumeric, because it would essentially make it a one-liner to ask whether a conversion would succeed. e.g.

if(!tryTo!int(str).isNull)
{
}

and it would work for more than just numeric types.

Unfortunately, for full flexibility, we'd probably have to introduce some sort of member conversion function for std.conv.tryTo to look for if we want this to work with user-defined types without throwing (since calling the constructor or casting like to does for user-defined types would act the same between to and tryTo), but those don't generally throw a ConvException right now anyway (and worse case, we can make tryTo catch any ConvExceptions that they do throw). So, at minimum, we can just convert them like we do with to, and then if we want to expand on that, we can designate a function for user-defined types to define if they want to be able to tell tryTo that a conversion failed without throwing.

Regardless, having tryTo will at minimum improve the situation for built-in types in the cases where having a ConvException be thrown on failure is a problem.

--