Nov 21, 2012
bearophile
Nov 22, 2012
Walter Bright
Nov 23, 2012
John Colvin
November 21, 2012
Hello all,

Now that we know that DConf 2013 is going to happen (congratulations and thanks to everyone!), I had a thought about how it might be possible to give some extra involvement to those who can't physically make it on this occasion.

Since there are already plans for the whole conference to be videoed, how about also making it possible for non-attendees to submit video presentations?  These could be made available via the conference website together with comment threads where the presenters could get feedback and discuss their work.

A second possibility would be to allow people (whether attending or not) to submit proceedings articles.  If there's an interest in this, and in seeing them officially published (preferably in an open access venue), I can put out some queries to colleagues in academic publishing to see if we can find a nice solution.

What does everyone think?  The only doubt I have is that it might tip the balance in favour of non-attendance for some people who are sitting on the fence right now.

Best wishes,

-- Joe
November 21, 2012
Joseph Rushton Wakeling:

> how about also making it possible for non-attendees to submit video presentations?
> ...
> A second possibility would be to allow people (whether attending or not) to submit proceedings articles.

Those seem nice ideas.

Bye,
bearophile
November 22, 2012
On 11/21/2012 04:21 PM, bearophile wrote:
>> how about also making it possible for non-attendees to submit video
>> presentations?
>> ...
>> A second possibility would be to allow people (whether attending or not) to
>> submit proceedings articles.
>
> Those seem nice ideas.

.... no other thoughts or comments from anyone? :-P
November 22, 2012
On 11/21/2012 5:33 AM, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Now that we know that DConf 2013 is going to happen (congratulations and thanks
> to everyone!), I had a thought about how it might be possible to give some extra
> involvement to those who can't physically make it on this occasion.
>
> Since there are already plans for the whole conference to be videoed, how about
> also making it possible for non-attendees to submit video presentations?  These
> could be made available via the conference website together with comment threads
> where the presenters could get feedback and discuss their work.
>
> A second possibility would be to allow people (whether attending or not) to
> submit proceedings articles.  If there's an interest in this, and in seeing them
> officially published (preferably in an open access venue), I can put out some
> queries to colleagues in academic publishing to see if we can find a nice solution.
>
> What does everyone think?  The only doubt I have is that it might tip the
> balance in favour of non-attendance for some people who are sitting on the fence
> right now.

If people want to submit videos and articles, yes, we can get them published on the conference site. I hadn't thought about a proceedings publication, but perhaps that can be done as an ebook.

November 23, 2012
On Thursday, 22 November 2012 at 22:35:35 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 11/21/2012 5:33 AM, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Now that we know that DConf 2013 is going to happen (congratulations and thanks
>> to everyone!), I had a thought about how it might be possible to give some extra
>> involvement to those who can't physically make it on this occasion.
>>
>> Since there are already plans for the whole conference to be videoed, how about
>> also making it possible for non-attendees to submit video presentations?  These
>> could be made available via the conference website together with comment threads
>> where the presenters could get feedback and discuss their work.
>>
>> A second possibility would be to allow people (whether attending or not) to
>> submit proceedings articles.  If there's an interest in this, and in seeing them
>> officially published (preferably in an open access venue), I can put out some
>> queries to colleagues in academic publishing to see if we can find a nice solution.
>>
>> What does everyone think?  The only doubt I have is that it might tip the
>> balance in favour of non-attendance for some people who are sitting on the fence
>> right now.
>
> If people want to submit videos and articles, yes, we can get them published on the conference site. I hadn't thought about a proceedings publication, but perhaps that can be done as an ebook.

I agree. This would be an interesting way to get a slightly more formal insight in to the D community than the newsgroup and IRC. Perhaps if some of the corporate/business guys were encouraged to write something about their perspectives on D, that would be particularly good.
November 23, 2012
On 11/22/2012 11:35 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> If people want to submit videos and articles, yes, we can get them published on
> the conference site. I hadn't thought about a proceedings publication, but
> perhaps that can be done as an ebook.

I'll have a chat to some colleagues about the latter and see what might be done in that respect.