November 24, 2014
On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 7:48 PM, Andrei Amatuni via Digitalmars-d < digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:

> not exactly the most rigorous research, but it's pretty favorable...
>

Not even remotely rigorous. One has to wonder about the quality of the conference into which this paper was accepted.

November 24, 2014
On Monday, 24 November 2014 at 03:48:27 UTC, Andrei Amatuni wrote:
> This prompted me to google for recent academic papers on D, which
> led me to this:
>
> http://research.ijcaonline.org/volume104/number7/pxc3898921.pdf
>
> not exactly the most rigorous research, but it's pretty
> favorable...

My main take away from that paper was that C is much slower than Java :o)

Based on those results it likely would have been trounced by Python or Ruby too.
November 24, 2014
On Sun, 2014-11-23 at 13:09 -0800, Ziad Hatahet via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 7:17 AM, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d < digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:
> 
> >
> > I have emailed the author.
> >
> 
> Keep us posted!

Author replied. He is issuing source code on a bilateral pseudo-NDA. I will read it to ensure no hidden problems later this evening, and then reply. Most likely affirmative…

-- 
Russel. ============================================================================= Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200   voip: sip:russel.winder@ekiga.net 41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel@winder.org.uk London SW11 1EN, UK   w: www.russel.org.uk  skype: russel_winder

November 24, 2014
On Mon, 2014-11-24 at 11:53 +0000, Craig Dillabaugh via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
[…]
> My main take away from that paper was that C is much slower than Java :o)

This can happen!

> Based on those results it likely would have been trounced by Python or Ruby too.

I don't know about Ruby, but Python can now be more or less as fast as C and C++. I am not joking on this one, even my π by quadrature codes can show Python running computational loops as fast.

-- 
Russel. ============================================================================= Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200   voip: sip:russel.winder@ekiga.net 41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel@winder.org.uk London SW11 1EN, UK   w: www.russel.org.uk  skype: russel_winder

November 24, 2014
> Compilers and interpreters used
> Turbo C++ IDE

:-)

On Monday, 24 November 2014 at 11:53:08 UTC, Craig Dillabaugh wrote:
> On Monday, 24 November 2014 at 03:48:27 UTC, Andrei Amatuni wrote:
>> This prompted me to google for recent academic papers on D, which
>> led me to this:
>>
>> http://research.ijcaonline.org/volume104/number7/pxc3898921.pdf
>>
>> not exactly the most rigorous research, but it's pretty
>> favorable...
>
> My main take away from that paper was that C is much slower than Java :o)
>
> Based on those results it likely would have been trounced by Python or Ruby too.

November 24, 2014
On Friday, 21 November 2014 at 22:57:44 UTC, Kapps wrote:
> On Friday, 21 November 2014 at 21:53:00 UTC, bearophile wrote:
>> anon:
>>
>>> https://www.academia.edu/3982638/A_Study_of_Successive_Over-relaxation_SOR_Method_Parallelization_Over_Modern_HPC_Languages
>>
>> Thank you for the link, it's very uncommon to see papers that use D. But where's the D/Go/Chapel source code? What's the compiler/version used? (When you do floating point benchmarks there's a huge difference between LDC2 and DMD).
>>
>> Bye,
>> bearophile
>
> The flags make it likely that DMD was used (-O -inline -release). IIRC there were some problems with DMD that made it not perform too well in these types of benchmarks that use std.parallelism. Results would likely have been noticeably better with GDC or LDC.

Whenever there is a benchmark like this the D community outlines a number of obvious to arcane speedups. Our house needs to be in order such that the obvious choice is at least competitive to the speed claims made for D. DMD particularly, while not optimisation focused, should improve its floating point speed and avoid surprising 80 bit floating point behaviours, or at least try to be surprising in a manner more in line with what users of other languages are used to.
November 26, 2014
On Sun, 2014-11-23 at 13:09 -0800, Ziad Hatahet via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 7:17 AM, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d < digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:
> 
> >
> > I have emailed the author.
> >
> 
> Keep us posted!

The author is currently having a vacation. He has though sent me the codes. I shall review them and report back to him, not publicly at this stage. When back from vacation his intention is to set the codes up for public availability, and hence wider review and debate. At this point the D community (and I hope the Go community) at large will be able to constructively chip in suggestions.
-- 

December 10, 2014
I am author of the paper "A Study of Successive Over-relaxation
Method Parallelization Over Modern HPC Languages".

The code has been made available for academic use at
https://www.academia.edu/9709444/Source_code_of_Parallel_and_Serial_Red-Black_SOR_Implementation_in_Chapel_D_and_Go_Languages

Questions and comments can be sent to my email address [although
note that use of software does not imply support].
December 10, 2014
Sparsh Mittal:

> I am author of the paper "A Study of Successive Over-relaxation
> Method Parallelization Over Modern HPC Languages".
>
> The code has been made available for academic use at
> https://www.academia.edu/9709444/Source_code_of_Parallel_and_Serial_Red-Black_SOR_Implementation_in_Chapel_D_and_Go_Languages
>
> Questions and comments can be sent to my email address [although
> note that use of software does not imply support].

What compiler, compiler version, and compilation arguments did
you use for the D code? (For such kind of benchmarks the DMD
compiler is the wrong compiler to use).

I have improved and made more idiomatic the serial version of the
D code:
http://dpaste.dzfl.pl/a6743f2eceda

Bye,
bearophile
December 12, 2014
Thanks for your interest. The users are welcome to make improvements to the code and use in their research. Chapel, D and Go are all relatively new languages and certainly many optimizations are possible with them.

As shown in the paper, I ran the D code with "-inline -O -release". I ran the experiments when I was at Iowa State. We had departmental servers http://it.engineering.iastate.edu/remote/ and I ran the experiments on those with 24 cores (note that this link is very frequently updated to show the servers which are online).

Now I have moved from there and don't have access to the computer.  I am sorry that I don't exactly remember/know answers to the other questions.
1 2
Next ›   Last »