November 25, 2014
On 11/24/2014 7:27 AM, Gary Willoughby wrote:
> Just browsing reddit and found this article posted about D.

https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/2n9gfb/d_is_for_data_science/cmbn83i

Thought I'd post this as a counterpoint to the recent "please break our code" thread.
November 25, 2014
On Tuesday, 25 November 2014 at 00:34:30 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> Thought I'd post this as a counterpoint to the recent "please break our code" thread.

I would caution against putting very much weight in Reddit opinions - there's people who will never use D and just look for excuses to justify their prejudice and there's people who think they want something, but don't really have any idea (this is common in feature requests, as I'm sure you know)

That comment, in particular, seems very questionable to me. dstats at least compiles out of the box and has github activity within the last few months. It has a lot of templates, so maybe actually using it would reveal compilation problems, but at quick glance it seems to work.
November 25, 2014
On 11/24/2014 4:50 PM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Tuesday, 25 November 2014 at 00:34:30 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> Thought I'd post this as a counterpoint to the recent "please break our code"
>> thread.
>
> I would caution against putting very much weight in Reddit opinions - there's
> people who will never use D and just look for excuses to justify their prejudice
> and there's people who think they want something, but don't really have any idea
> (this is common in feature requests, as I'm sure you know)
>
> That comment, in particular, seems very questionable to me. dstats at least
> compiles out of the box and has github activity within the last few months. It
> has a lot of templates, so maybe actually using it would reveal compilation
> problems, but at quick glance it seems to work.

I know it's a tough call. But I do see these sorts of comments regularly, and it is a fact that there are too many D libraries gone to seed that won't compile anymore, and that makes us look bad.
November 25, 2014
With algorithm.sort the deciles bench from the article runs twice as fast(it's in the reddit thread)

I see array.sort is planned for future deprecation, what does "future" fall under?
November 25, 2014
On Tuesday, 25 November 2014 at 01:10:56 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 11/24/2014 4:50 PM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 25 November 2014 at 00:34:30 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>>> Thought I'd post this as a counterpoint to the recent "please break our code"
>>> thread.
>>
>> I would caution against putting very much weight in Reddit opinions - there's
>> people who will never use D and just look for excuses to justify their prejudice
>> and there's people who think they want something, but don't really have any idea
>> (this is common in feature requests, as I'm sure you know)
>>
>> That comment, in particular, seems very questionable to me. dstats at least
>> compiles out of the box and has github activity within the last few months. It
>> has a lot of templates, so maybe actually using it would reveal compilation
>> problems, but at quick glance it seems to work.
>
> I know it's a tough call. But I do see these sorts of comments regularly, and it is a fact that there are too many D libraries gone to seed that won't compile anymore, and that makes us look bad.

If that it's the problem, it's time to go ahead with an explicit support for the work done in dfix, no?
It's not a silver bullet, but it's a clear indication to the potential adopters that there's a plan, and actively indicate that definitely "we care" about that particular issue, common to every language.

---
/Paolo
November 25, 2014
On Tuesday, 25 November 2014 at 01:10:56 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> I know it's a tough call. But I do see these sorts of comments regularly, and it is a fact that there are too many D libraries gone to seed that won't compile anymore, and that makes us look bad.

Or this: https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/2n9gfb/d_is_for_data_science/cmbssac
> It was the endless std.logger bikeshedding that finally did me in. Even if they get it into std.experimental in the next release, I'm finally done. I cancelled my projects and pulled them off dub.

Is this a much better reason?
November 25, 2014
weaselcat:

> I see array.sort is planned for future deprecation, what does "future" fall under?

For us that activate warnings in dmd (because for a design mistake they are disabled on default, but hopefully this will be fixed in future) in the latest github version of the compiler it gives a warning if you use the built-in sort and "reverse". Unfortunately the library "reverse" still needs to be fixed to return the array as the built-in "reverse".

Bye,
bearophile
November 25, 2014
On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 17:10:25 -0800
Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce
<digitalmars-d-announce@puremagic.com> wrote:

but D wins in overall. being one of the architects in my bussiness i was eagerly pushing D as our main development language. it's good that this thing (and some other too) happens before i succeeded. now we keep going with C++, as it fscks safety too, fscks principle of least astonishment, almost never fixes inconsistencies, but it has alot more libraries and i can hire alot more programmers with it. i'm still using D as a language for my hobbyst throw-away projects though, and D is great for such things. D wins, 'cause i *almost* stopped ranting (not only in this NG) and just accepting it as is. well, almost as is, i'm applying alot of patches over vanilla D. this, of course, makes my code incompatible with every other D compiler out here, but luckily this is not a concern anymore.

November 28, 2014
"weaselcat"  wrote in message news:rnlbybkfqokypxlgfhbh@forum.dlang.org...

> I see array.sort is planned for future deprecation, what does "future" fall under?

Generally 'future deprecation' means at least 6 months after it gets turned into a warning.  Often it's significantly longer, because nobody bothers to update it after six months have passed. 

November 28, 2014
On 28 November 2014 at 06:40, Daniel Murphy via Digitalmars-d-announce <digitalmars-d-announce@puremagic.com> wrote:
> "weaselcat"  wrote in message news:rnlbybkfqokypxlgfhbh@forum.dlang.org...
>
>> I see array.sort is planned for future deprecation, what does "future" fall under?
>
>
> Generally 'future deprecation' means at least 6 months after it gets turned into a warning.  Often it's significantly longer, because nobody bothers to update it after six months have passed.

1 year down the line, someone notices the "deprecated, planned removal in Nov 2014" comment, and bumps the removal date to Nov 2015.  :-)