November 28, 2014
On Fri, 28 Nov 2014 19:34:20 +0000
"Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d" <digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Friday, 28 November 2014 at 19:16:28 UTC, ketmar via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> > ah, yes. i don't think about that, but you are right: typing for two hours is ok
> 
> I don't really agree, if I were to type for nonstop for two hours, I'd be in a world of pain.
> 
> Talking for two hours hurts too, but typing can bring all kinds of RSI to the wrist and such. I rarely go for that long if I can avoid it just as a preventative measure.
just don't let your hands hang off the table. at least this was what works for me and now i can type all day long (with occasional "drop the water out of fingers" gesture once in a several hours).

ah, and kill "notebook keyboards", they sux. the best keyboard is mechanical one (biased opinion!), but keyboard with distinct keys and good feedback is fine too.

at least this is what solves all my problems with continuous typing.

ah, and most important thing: throw your mouse out of the window and made keypad and arrow keys non-functional, so your hands will never move out of the main part of the keyboard.

sure, we have similar technics for speaking, but even using that i found that long speeches are painfull. taking into account that i'm speaking almost from my birth and start typing much-much later... no, i still prefer typing. ;-)

November 28, 2014
On Fri, 28 Nov 2014 19:34:20 +0000
"Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d" <digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Friday, 28 November 2014 at 19:16:28 UTC, ketmar via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> > ah, yes. i don't think about that, but you are right: typing for two hours is ok
> 
> I don't really agree, if I were to type for nonstop for two hours, I'd be in a world of pain.
> 
> Talking for two hours hurts too, but typing can bring all kinds of RSI to the wrist and such. I rarely go for that long if I can avoid it just as a preventative measure.
p.s. but i feel noticable pain if i'm playing some shooters or other games where i have to use the mouse. yet this is good too, 'cause it forces my playing sessions to not last more than half of an hour. ;-)

November 28, 2014
On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 09:47:24PM +0200, ketmar via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Nov 2014 19:34:20 +0000
> "Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d" <digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:
> 
> > On Friday, 28 November 2014 at 19:16:28 UTC, ketmar via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> > > ah, yes. i don't think about that, but you are right: typing for two hours is ok
> > 
> > I don't really agree, if I were to type for nonstop for two hours, I'd be in a world of pain.
> > 
> > Talking for two hours hurts too, but typing can bring all kinds of RSI to the wrist and such. I rarely go for that long if I can avoid it just as a preventative measure.
>
> just don't let your hands hang off the table. at least this was what works for me and now i can type all day long (with occasional "drop the water out of fingers" gesture once in a several hours).

I always push the keyboard far back on the desk so that I can rest my entire forearm on the desk as I type. The common keyboard-drawer setup that most office desks come with is actually extremely evil, because it forces you to sit for long hours with your arms curled up in an unnaturally tight position against your body. It gives me wrist and shoulder/neck pain after just 1/2 hour.

> ah, and kill "notebook keyboards", they sux. the best keyboard is mechanical one (biased opinion!), but keyboard with distinct keys and good feedback is fine too.

Yeah, notebook keyboards force your hands too close together for comfort, and your wrists will not survive the ordeal for long. Besides, notebook screens are generally too small to place too far away, so that also constrains how far away you can put the keyboard, which in turn constraints how relaxed your forearms can be while you type. IOW, it's convenient for travelling, but bad for long-term use.

[...]
> ah, and most important thing: throw your mouse out of the window and made keypad and arrow keys non-functional, so your hands will never move out of the main part of the keyboard.

Ratpoison ftw!!! :-P

> sure, we have similar technics for speaking, but even using that i found that long speeches are painfull. taking into account that i'm speaking almost from my birth and start typing much-much later... no, i still prefer typing. ;-)

Speaking is far more tiring than typing IME. I can answer emails all day but I'd have a sore throat and a headache if I were to talk the same amount. Of course, if I were to use webmail, then the headache would set in much earlier than when speaking... but with ratpoison + mutt, and a keyboard that's placed an appropriate distance *far back* on the desk, I can easily type all day without fatigue.

T

-- 
Many open minds should be closed for repairs. -- K5 user
November 28, 2014
On Friday, 28 November 2014 at 08:39:17 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2014-11-28 02:05, deadalnix wrote:
>
>> I'm using it on my mac, but it is messing up with specials keys like
>> command, control and friends.
>
> It does? You do know that iTerm2 is highly configurable? You can change the hotkeys and also the exact escape sequence a given key should send.
>

I know, I spent a vast amount of time playing with that. Got it to behave properly most of the time, but it still start doing shit in some unidentified scenarios.

>> Both the control key and the terminal are bleeding edge technology, so
>> it is expected that they are not handled properly...
>
> I don't know if I'm misunderstand but..., or was this a joke?

It is partially a joke, partially the truth. Mixing them together is a way to highlight how ridiculous the current situation is.
November 29, 2014
On 11/26/2014 05:20 PM, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> (most websites suck so bad with a
> non-GUI interface it's not even funny... gone are the days when most of
> the content of a webpage is useful information, nowadays finding
> information is like finding a needle in a haystack of fluff and
> eye-candy -- but that belongs in another rant :-P)

Hear Hear! Web devs and online content providers alike seem far more interested in developing god-awful interfaces to wrap their content with then actually providing content. The web isn't about content anymore, it's just about JS/HTML m*sterbation and fondling the latest fadwords. (I really, genuinely, wish those people would leave the industry and move to the fashion world where they clearly belong.)

I long time ago, there was a hacker/coder/something like that e-zine that didn't come in an actual document format, but came as an EXE, with the content baked directly into their own [shitty] viewer.

I thought that was the dumbest idea ever, and figured that alone guaranteed it would never reach 90% of the audience it deserved to reach (some of the content was kinda interesting).

But amazingly, *EVERYTHING* works that way now. Well, except that the exe-zine actually performed well and didn't demand to soak up every last drop of memory and CPU from 64-bit multi-core (of which none existed anyway).

> or doing image/video editing (though even
> that is mostly scriptable thanks to imagemagick).

Or AviSynth (not that I've really done much with either).

> Supposedly that's "more productive",
> though I'm honestly baffled how anyone could believe that.
>

iOS and Android conclusively prove that people have NO comprehension whatsoever of what "easy to use" means. They're easy to *LEARN*[1]. It amazes me that people have become so stupid they no longer know the difference between "learning" and "using".

[1] Although, a large part of those things being "easy to learn" is simply because they take a page out of the salesman's handbook and cleverly avoid calling them what they are: "computers". Instead, they trick people into *not* compulsively shutting their brains off and conveniently "forgetting" basic literacy (as people do with alarming frequency) by waving around the bullshit of "Oh, it's not a 'computer'! It's a 'telephone'!"  "Oh, really? I know how to use a phone! So with this wondrously genius iPhone, now I *don't* have to deliberately shut my brain off and pretend to be a drooling illiterate retard!...Wow, look at that! Now that I'm *not* feigning retardation, it's become so easy to use, even though nothing is discoverable or even readable without a rosetta stone and a microscope, none of the input works reliably, none of the software works like any of the other software, and it now takes twice as long to accomplish half as much! Amazing!" Goddamn morons.

November 29, 2014
On 26 November 2014 at 21:00, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 08:06:01PM +0000, Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> So my computer died on me again last week and I had to buy new hardware. I was forced to update the software to run the new hardware... and it is painful.
>
> I have a high distrust of brand new *hardware*, because they inevitably are gratuitously incompatible with my current software and require new-fangled OSes bloated with features I never use. Because of this, I only ever upgrade once every 5 years (if not longer). And when I do, I'll be sure to spend plenty of time researching what hardware isn't horribly broken or requires a specific version of a specific OS and doesn't work with anything else. Vendor lock-in is evil.
>
>

If you look around, it isn't hard to find vendors who build laptops, desktops, servers, that either come shipped with a popular Linux distribution pre-installed, or are happy to test the configuration with Linux before shipping.

Iain.
1 2 3 4 5 6
Next ›   Last »