December 07, 2012
On Wednesday, 5 December 2012 at 18:24:04 UTC, js.mdnq wrote:
> I have a lot of trouble with the forum. Many times a msg will not post as it sits in a cycle waiting for the nntp server to get the message or for it to be announced.
>
> IMO there are much better forum software out there that would make it easier to communicate about D than the current method.
>
> http://www.mybb.com/ is free, pretty good, and relatively easy to setup.
>
> The ability to edit a post makes life much easier too!

You may think whatever you like. I like forum.dlang.org, nothing is wrong with it. In fact, I am replying to your post with it.
December 07, 2012
On 2012-27-07 09:12, Kagamin <spam@here.lot> wrote:

> On Thursday, 6 December 2012 at 18:04:54 UTC, Rob T wrote:
>> On Thursday, 6 December 2012 at 13:32:31 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
>>>
>>> afaik, dfeed never breaks threads. They're broken by other clients.
>>
>> Either way it's still busted.
>>
>> --rt
>
> nntp doesn't support bans, does it? So it's basically unfixable unless you migrate from nntp to something else.

The protocol itself may not, but seeing as how Walter will delete spam,
it can be assumed to be implementable on the server.

-- 
Simen
December 07, 2012
On Friday, 7 December 2012 at 09:16:55 UTC, Simen Kjaeraas wrote:
> On 2012-27-07 09:12, Kagamin <spam@here.lot> wrote:
>> nntp doesn't support bans, does it? So it's basically unfixable unless you migrate from nntp to something else.
>
> The protocol itself may not, but seeing as how Walter will delete spam,
> it can be assumed to be implementable on the server.

News servers commonly support message cancellation; the problem is just that DFeed doesn't fold in the updates (don't know whether Vladimir is actually working on this or not).

As far as access control (banning, etc.) goes, NNTP really does not have a lot of features. For removing the amount of spam which hits this newsgroup, a simple cancelbot might be enough, though.

David
1 2 3 4
Next ›   Last »