March 21, 2011
Sample program:

import std.typecons;

typedef uint oid_t;

void main() {
   Tuple!(uint,uint) key;
   // Tuple!(oid_t,oid_t) key; // Doesn't work
}

If I use the last tuple instead of the first, I get the following compiler error with DMD 2.052 in OS X:

/path/to/src/phobos/std/format.d(1579): Error: function std.format.formatValue!(Appender!(string),oid_t,immutable(char)).formatValue is deprecated
/path/to/src/phobos/std/format.d(306): Error: template instance std.format.formatGeneric!(Appender!(string),oid_t,immutable(char)) error instantiating
/path/to/src/phobos/std/typecons.d(507):        instantiated from here: formattedWrite!(Appender!(string),immutable(char),oid_t)

It seems that std.typecons is using a deprecated formatting API, which is triggered by my use of a custom type? And ... I guess this would be a bug? (I looked in the tracker, and couldn't find it there already.)

-- 
Magnus Lie Hetland
http://hetland.org

March 21, 2011
On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 13:03:25 -0400, Magnus Lie Hetland <magnus@hetland.org> wrote:

> Sample program:
>
> import std.typecons;
>
> typedef uint oid_t;
>
> void main() {
>     Tuple!(uint,uint) key;
>     // Tuple!(oid_t,oid_t) key; // Doesn't work
> }
>
> If I use the last tuple instead of the first, I get the following compiler error with DMD 2.052 in OS X:
>
> /path/to/src/phobos/std/format.d(1579): Error: function std.format.formatValue!(Appender!(string),oid_t,immutable(char)).formatValue is deprecated
> /path/to/src/phobos/std/format.d(306): Error: template instance std.format.formatGeneric!(Appender!(string),oid_t,immutable(char)) error instantiating
> /path/to/src/phobos/std/typecons.d(507):        instantiated from here: formattedWrite!(Appender!(string),immutable(char),oid_t)
>
> It seems that std.typecons is using a deprecated formatting API, which is triggered by my use of a custom type? And ... I guess this would be a bug? (I looked in the tracker, and couldn't find it there already.)
>

If you looked and couldn't find it, it doesn't hurt to add it.  Worst case -- it gets marked as a duplicate.

Note that typedef is eventually going to be deprecated.  I'd suggest using alias unless you have a need to force uints not to be castable to oid_t.

-Steve
March 21, 2011
> Sample program:
> 
> import std.typecons;
> 
> typedef uint oid_t;
> 
> void main() {
>     Tuple!(uint,uint) key;
>     // Tuple!(oid_t,oid_t) key; // Doesn't work
> }
> 
> If I use the last tuple instead of the first, I get the following compiler error with DMD 2.052 in OS X:
> 
> /path/to/src/phobos/std/format.d(1579): Error: function
> std.format.formatValue!(Appender!(string),oid_t,immutable(char)).formatValu
> e is deprecated
> /path/to/src/phobos/std/format.d(306): Error: template instance
> std.format.formatGeneric!(Appender!(string),oid_t,immutable(char))
> error instantiating
> /path/to/src/phobos/std/typecons.d(507):        instantiated from here:
> formattedWrite!(Appender!(string),immutable(char),oid_t)
> 
> It seems that std.typecons is using a deprecated formatting API, which is triggered by my use of a custom type? And ... I guess this would be a bug? (I looked in the tracker, and couldn't find it there already.)

I would point out that typedef is going to be removed from the language. You should be using alias instead. I don't know if this wil lhave any effect on the bug you're seeing though (probably, since alias doesn't actually produce a new type - just an alias for the old one).

- Jonathan M Davis
March 23, 2011
On 2011-03-21 18:40:07 +0100, Steven Schveighoffer said:

> If you looked and couldn't find it, it doesn't hurt to add it.  Worst case -- it gets marked as a duplicate.

OK. Perhaps I should just start doing that, rather than asking here about every bug I find. (I seem to come across new ones every day ;-)

> Note that typedef is eventually going to be deprecated.  I'd suggest using alias unless you have a need to force uints not to be castable to oid_t.

Ah. That sort of makes the bug a bit less relevant :->

Actually, the typedef *was* to prevent that casting, because I inadvertently used an uint that was of a semantically different kind, and got a hard-to-spot bug -- so I thought I'd try to prevent that by using the type system.

Any way to do that without (to be deprecated) typedef?

-- 
Magnus Lie Hetland
http://hetland.org

March 23, 2011
Magnus Lie Hetland:

> Any way to do that without (to be deprecated) typedef?

At the moment with a struct that contains an "alias this", I presume...

Bye,
bearophile
March 24, 2011
On 3/23/2011 12:45 PM, Magnus Lie Hetland wrote:
> Any way to do that without (to be deprecated) typedef?
>

Nothing pretty, at least not yet.  bearophile's suggestion is about as close as you can get right now.
March 24, 2011
On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 16:14:55 -0400, bearophile <bearophileHUGS@lycos.com> wrote:

> Magnus Lie Hetland:
>
>> Any way to do that without (to be deprecated) typedef?
>
> At the moment with a struct that contains an "alias this", I presume...

And the alias this must point to a getter property to avoid the problem of implicitly casting from the base type to the specialized one.

-Steve