December 18, 2014
On Wednesday, 17 December 2014 at 17:50:24 UTC, Nick Treleaven wrote:
> On 15/12/2014 19:39, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> If you put your git repo online somewhere, I wouldn't mind pulling from
>> it and pushing to Phobos as PRs. It's much more convenient than
>> downloading patches off bugzilla. (Git was designed to be used this way
>> in the first place!)
>
> +1, it really would be much more attractive than patches. That way we can see the code easily in a browser, the developer can split work into commits, the reviewer(s) can easily fetch it. Submitters need to make it easy to start reviewing their code (especially if they don't want to use github). Patches are much harder to apply after time has passed - a git branch can be rebased, clearly showing each conflict encountered.

This is pretty much it. If you don't want to use GitHub you need to provide an alternative way of time-efficient code review. I remember checking few ketmar patches attached in bugzilla before with an intent to resubmit those to GitHub but after seeing no tests included and several style / implementation issues I have decided to simply not bother with it.
December 18, 2014
On 17 December 2014 at 17:50, Nick Treleaven via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:
> On 15/12/2014 19:39, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>
>> If you put your git repo online somewhere, I wouldn't mind pulling from it and pushing to Phobos as PRs. It's much more convenient than downloading patches off bugzilla. (Git was designed to be used this way in the first place!)
>
>
> +1, it really would be much more attractive than patches. That way we can see the code easily in a browser, the developer can split work into commits, the reviewer(s) can easily fetch it. Submitters need to make it easy to start reviewing their code (especially if they don't want to use github). Patches are much harder to apply after time has passed - a git branch can be rebased, clearly showing each conflict encountered.

Yah,  I would recommend you get a VPS (which can be anything from $2 a year to $5 a month depending on how "low-end" you want to go).  And install gitlab or gitorious on it, if you want local control - then those tools provide it.

Iain.
December 18, 2014
On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 08:49:37 +0000
Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:

> On 17 December 2014 at 17:50, Nick Treleaven via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:
> > On 15/12/2014 19:39, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> >>
> >> If you put your git repo online somewhere, I wouldn't mind pulling from it and pushing to Phobos as PRs. It's much more convenient than downloading patches off bugzilla. (Git was designed to be used this way in the first place!)
> >
> >
> > +1, it really would be much more attractive than patches. That way we can see the code easily in a browser, the developer can split work into commits, the reviewer(s) can easily fetch it. Submitters need to make it easy to start reviewing their code (especially if they don't want to use github). Patches are much harder to apply after time has passed - a git branch can be rebased, clearly showing each conflict encountered.
> 
> Yah,  I would recommend you get a VPS (which can be anything from $2 a year to $5 a month depending on how "low-end" you want to go).  And install gitlab or gitorious on it, if you want local control - then those tools provide it.

too much work for toy hobbyst project.

December 18, 2014
On 18/12/2014 08:58, ketmar via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>
> too much work for toy hobbyst project.
>

In case you want free Git hosting other than github, check:
https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/GitHosting

Some sites have an open framework.
December 18, 2014
On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 17:19:28 +0000
Nick Treleaven via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:

> On 18/12/2014 08:58, ketmar via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> >
> > too much work for toy hobbyst project.
> >
> 
> In case you want free Git hosting other than github, check: https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/GitHosting
> 
> Some sites have an open framework.

thank you. i'm using repo.or.cz now and i'm very happy with it: it doesn't do anything except hosting repos! oh, well, and it has minimalistic web viewer. almost ideal thing. ;-)

1 2 3 4 5 6
Next ›   Last »