H. S. Teoh
May 09, 2012
Iain Buclaw
May 10, 2012
H. S. Teoh
May 11, 2012
Iain Buclaw
May 09, 2012
It appears that gdmd (and to have that, gdc) is present in the 4.6 GCC distribution on Debian but not yet in the 4.7. Is this planned or has there been a problem somewhere?

Thanks.

-- 
Russel. ============================================================================= Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200   voip: sip:russel.winder@ekiga.net 41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel@winder.org.uk London SW11 1EN, UK   w: www.russel.org.uk  skype: russel_winder

May 09, 2012
Le 09/05/2012 15:50, Russel Winder a écrit :
> It appears that gdmd (and to have that, gdc) is present in the 4.6 GCC
> distribution on Debian but not yet in the 4.7. Is this planned or has
> there been a problem somewhere?
>
> Thanks.
>

This package is outrageously outdated. I'm not sure it is planed, but I'm sure we should do our own repos debian. I would work with debian, ubuntu and mint which is a large user base.
May 09, 2012
On 09/05/12 16:07, deadalnix wrote:
> This package is outrageously outdated. I'm not sure it is planed, but I'm sure
> we should do our own repos debian. I would work with debian, ubuntu and mint
> which is a large user base.

AFAICS both Debian and Ubuntu have the latest gdc-4.6, no?

Iain Buclaw mentioned that a 4.7.0 package was in the works for Ubuntu, and I imagine that would work also for Debian without any major hassle.  It should also be possible to maintain a GDC PPA on Launchpad for the most up-to-date packages.
May 09, 2012
On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 05:10:16PM +0200, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
> On 09/05/12 16:07, deadalnix wrote:
> >This package is outrageously outdated. I'm not sure it is planed, but I'm sure we should do our own repos debian. I would work with debian, ubuntu and mint which is a large user base.
> 
> AFAICS both Debian and Ubuntu have the latest gdc-4.6, no?

I'm using Debian's gdc-4.6 (4.6.3-1). Is that the latest?

T

-- 
There is no gravity. The earth sucks.
May 09, 2012
On 9 May 2012 16:56, H. S. Teoh <hsteoh@quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:
> On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 05:10:16PM +0200, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
>> On 09/05/12 16:07, deadalnix wrote:
>> >This package is outrageously outdated. I'm not sure it is planed, but I'm sure we should do our own repos debian. I would work with debian, ubuntu and mint which is a large user base.
>>
>> AFAICS both Debian and Ubuntu have the latest gdc-4.6, no?
>
> I'm using Debian's gdc-4.6 (4.6.3-1). Is that the latest?
>

It's the latest in Debian, but as already said - outrageously outdated from the current development branch.

-- 
Iain Buclaw

*(p < e ? p++ : p) = (c & 0x0f) + '0';
May 09, 2012
On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 04:58:40PM +0100, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> On 9 May 2012 16:56, H. S. Teoh <hsteoh@quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:
> > On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 05:10:16PM +0200, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
> >> On 09/05/12 16:07, deadalnix wrote:
> >> >This package is outrageously outdated. I'm not sure it is planed, but I'm sure we should do our own repos debian. I would work with debian, ubuntu and mint which is a large user base.
> >>
> >> AFAICS both Debian and Ubuntu have the latest gdc-4.6, no?
> >
> > I'm using Debian's gdc-4.6 (4.6.3-1). Is that the latest?
> >
> 
> It's the latest in Debian, but as already said - outrageously outdated from the current development branch.
[...]

I see. Is there anything that I can help with? I do have upload privileges to the Debian queue. I don't know if I'd be stepping on the toes of the GCC maintainers though (I assume gdc would be under their umbrella?).

T

-- 
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell. "How come he didn't put 'I think' at the end of it?" -- Anonymous
May 09, 2012
On 9 May 2012 17:35, H. S. Teoh <hsteoh@quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:
> On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 04:58:40PM +0100, Iain Buclaw wrote:
>> On 9 May 2012 16:56, H. S. Teoh <hsteoh@quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:
>> > On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 05:10:16PM +0200, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
>> >> On 09/05/12 16:07, deadalnix wrote:
>> >> >This package is outrageously outdated. I'm not sure it is planed, but I'm sure we should do our own repos debian. I would work with debian, ubuntu and mint which is a large user base.
>> >>
>> >> AFAICS both Debian and Ubuntu have the latest gdc-4.6, no?
>> >
>> > I'm using Debian's gdc-4.6 (4.6.3-1). Is that the latest?
>> >
>>
>> It's the latest in Debian, but as already said - outrageously outdated from the current development branch.
> [...]
>
> I see. Is there anything that I can help with? I do have upload privileges to the Debian queue. I don't know if I'd be stepping on the toes of the GCC maintainers though (I assume gdc would be under their umbrella?).
>

Not at all - infact, I've had Matthias informing me every step of the way where GCC has got to (a gentle hint that I'm being chased to update the build package).

If you need his details, I'd be happy to pass them onto you and give you a rundown of how the 4.6 debian build is structured - the package in debian will float down to ubuntu in due course over the next release.

-- 
Iain Buclaw

*(p < e ? p++ : p) = (c & 0x0f) + '0';
May 09, 2012
On 09/05/12 18:42, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> Not at all - infact, I've had Matthias informing me every step of the
> way where GCC has got to (a gentle hint that I'm being chased to
> update the build package).
>
> If you need his details, I'd be happy to pass them onto you and give
> you a rundown of how the 4.6 debian build is structured - the package
> in debian will float down to ubuntu in due course over the next
> release.

Does that mean that we should not expect to see an updated package in the official Ubuntu repositories until 12.10?  If so, any chance of a PPA for 12.04 and earlier?
May 10, 2012
On 5/9/12 11:42 AM, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> Not at all - infact, I've had Matthias informing me every step of the
> way where GCC has got to (a gentle hint that I'm being chased to
> update the build package).
>
> If you need his details, I'd be happy to pass them onto you and give
> you a rundown of how the 4.6 debian build is structured - the package
> in debian will float down to ubuntu in due course over the next
> release.

Hi Iain,

Speaking of gdc/gcc integration, is there hope we'll make it in the 4.8 iteration of gcc next year? I feel quite uninformed in an important matter so any updates would help. Are we on track, anywhere close, off it? Is there anything the community can do?

Thanks,

Andrei
May 10, 2012
On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 05:42:22PM +0100, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> On 9 May 2012 17:35, H. S. Teoh <hsteoh@quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:
> > On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 04:58:40PM +0100, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> >> On 9 May 2012 16:56, H. S. Teoh <hsteoh@quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:
> >> > I'm using Debian's gdc-4.6 (4.6.3-1). Is that the latest?
> >> >
> >>
> >> It's the latest in Debian, but as already said - outrageously outdated from the current development branch.
> > [...]
> >
> > I see. Is there anything that I can help with? I do have upload privileges to the Debian queue. I don't know if I'd be stepping on the toes of the GCC maintainers though (I assume gdc would be under their umbrella?).
> >
> 
> Not at all - infact, I've had Matthias informing me every step of the way where GCC has got to (a gentle hint that I'm being chased to update the build package).

Sorry I didn't quite understand you, so it's OK for me to upload gdc independently of the GCC team then?

> If you need his details, I'd be happy to pass them onto you and give you a rundown of how the 4.6 debian build is structured - the package in debian will float down to ubuntu in due course over the next release.
[...]

I'd like to know how to build the latest gdc from source, even if just for my personal use (I just ran into a nasty 64-bit bug in dmd, but my current outdated version of gdc doesn't support the new std.regex which I need, so I'm stuck). I can also upload the package if that would help move things along on this front.

Thanks for all your work on gdc!!

T

-- 
"Holy war is an oxymoron." -- Lazarus Long
« First   ‹ Prev
1 2